BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 39 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 39 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

Number of posts : 99
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Yeovil, Bunde, Lubbecke,camp du larzac, norway,rct winter training centre hinterstien, Aldershot,
Registration date : 2009-09-22

RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Empty
PostSubject: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime31/10/2009, 12:03

any one ever go there ? i went 1968 and 1969 late november to build the annexe,s before the lads came early december for the sking, i have a few photos of us building the place, the only name i remember from the time is l/cpl les caton. we travelled down from bunde in convoy one of the 10 tonners got detached from the convoy when we went back to find him he was at the side of the autobahn and said he had run out of diesel, we all started laughing as his load was jerry cans full of diesel. Laughing

RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Th_hinterstien69

that sheet metal was cold in the morning

Last edited by oldtimer on 1/11/2009, 11:30; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

Places Served : Yeovil, Bunde, Lubbecke,camp du larzac, norway,rct winter training centre hinterstien, Aldershot,

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime1/11/2009, 10:50

the day we arrived there was no snow and as it was getting late we had a few beers and got our heads down,in the morning we woke up to this scene, we then had to get the equipment up the side of the mountain i tried to drive my 3 tonner up there getting stuck not to far from the top then we had to carry everthing up there hard work but a good laugh.

RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Th_h5
the day we arrived

RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Th_h2

next morning

RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Th_h4

along hard slog
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Th_h1

well stuck but once unloaded no problems sliding back down
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime1/11/2009, 11:26

oldtimer,

Is that Hinterstein, or Hinterstien

Paul.
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime1/11/2009, 11:32

sorry paul never been very good at spelling, i was having a nightmare putting photos up as i think i put the wrong code in and could not log off hope it works better now
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime1/11/2009, 11:42

oldtimer wrote:
sorry paul never been very good at spelling, i was having a nightmare putting photos up as i think i put the wrong code in and could not log off hope it works better now

Where was it close to, so I can find the area?

Paul.
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime1/11/2009, 12:01

hinterstien is near Bad Hindelang, Germany, its on the austrian german border,bad hindelang is the nearest town about 3 miles away
really having a senior moment this morning, sorry about the first photos to big, now they are on thumbnails able to log out.

paul. (its like an echo with us both being paul)
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime2/11/2009, 14:06

oldtimer wrote:
hinterstien is near Bad Hindelang, Germany, its on the austrian german border,bad hindelang is the nearest town about 3 miles away....

Got it Smile

Could you send me the photographs via e-mail please.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime2/11/2009, 14:38

have sent some hope it works,dont have much luck with computers better at building motorbikes. if you click on any of the thumbnails it will take you to my album on photobucket where you can see other photos from other places ,a lot more are some where on my hard drive yet to upload to photobucket.

paul
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime2/11/2009, 14:57

Got them OK.

I am putting together a page to go on the main site. Will let you know when it is up.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime2/11/2009, 17:54

oldtimer wrote:
any one ever go there ? i went 1968 and 1969 late november to build the annexe,s before the lads came early december for the sking, i have a few photos of us building the place, the only name i remember from the time is l/cpl les caton. we travelled down from bunde in convoy one of the 10 tonners got detached from the convoy when we went back to find him he was at the side of the autobahn and said he had run out of diesel, we all started laughing as his load was jerry cans full of diesel. Laughing

Got a chuckle out of this this morning when I logged on. Funny how someone's brain works (or doesn't work, as the case may be), but this is one of those stories that is so 'duh' it has to be true!

Mind you, to give credit where it's due perhaps, maybe the poor kid figured he didn't dare use the diesel he was carrying. Some within the military chain frown upon some l/cpl just taking it upon himself to dip into the load he's carrying to top up. But, yeah, I'd have laughed my head off as well....
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime2/11/2009, 18:20

Paul wrote:
oldtimer,

Is that Hinterstein, or Hinterstien

Paul.

It's most likely Hinterstein....

A handy little rule of thumb when it comes to most German place names (or family and proper names for that matter) is one pronounces it using the last vowel....so if a place is pronounced Hinter-stine, it would be spelled with the "i" coming after the "e". If it was Hinter-steen it would be the "e" after the "i".

Hmmm...it's actually easier than how I am making it appear, believe it or not LOL

And of course, any name with "stein" on the end translates into "stone". So we have a place that would be, in English, known as Backstone.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime2/11/2009, 18:33

Stephen Lock wrote:
It's most likely Hinterstein....And of course, any name with "stein" on the end translates into "stone". So we have a place that would be, in English, known as Backstone.

You may be closer to its true meaning than you think Stephen. If you find it on Google Earth (There is a location for it on the new page), it is sort of in the "back-of-beyond" and is in a valley, albeit nearly 3000ft up, surrounded on three sides by mountains.

So it could be "at the back of a mountain/stones" Smile

Paul.
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime2/11/2009, 18:46

stephen is correct paul i have since found a postcard which says hinterstein and in brackets behind the rock.

the problem i have is a british education where it was drummed in to us i before e except after c, but they never told me it doesnt work with place names.

glad you found it funny about the diesel stephen,the poor driver never heard the last of it.lol
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime4/11/2009, 03:45

Learning more about the actual geographic location of Hinterstein, and therefore some insight into the name itself, is interesting.

I was, actually, going to originally translate it as "behind the stone" as "hinten" is "back of" or "behind" but decided that would translate too clumsily..."Backstone" sounded much more like a place name and one that I figured British guys could better relate to as it sounds quite "British" when translated....of course -- and keeping in mind I barely escaped with my life the last time I suggested this LOL -- both English and German are closely related. English is a Germanic language, after all. (quickly ducks!!!)

The other thing I find interesting when it comes to British/German place names or various geographical descriptions is the close similarity they have to each other...and how totally logical the names are.

Anything with 'ford' in it literally means crossing of or crossing at and is, of course, an Old English/Saxon word (Norse, even...think fjord).

Or anything with 'stone' in it often refers to local stone features of some sort, or outcroppings of cliffs, or some such.

I forget now what 'bury' means (as in Glastonbury), but I seem to recall it refers to a large, isolated, hill or perhaps a hill fort....

German place names follow a very similar, almost identical, logic.
Back to top Go down
afpe45
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT/LOGISTICS.
Places Served : Bielefeld Germany and Lilburn northern Ireland.
Registration date : 2023-01-25

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime25/1/2023, 18:06

my name is Alan (Cliff) Durden, (Cpl, RCT) I went to Hinterstien winter training centre in Bavaria, in 1967,68, and 69. ski instructing. With two partners in crime, I can't remember their names at the moment.one was a Geordie and the other was from DeVon, I think.
I enjoyed every minute of it on the piste (downhill) skiing and langlauf (cross country) If anyone remembers me shout out. I can remember Jim Danton (L/Cpl on the RCT Ski team), Bronco Lane (Cpl RCT Ski team),2/LT Simms (RCT Ski team), and chalky white (Dvr on the RCT team, Langlauf) in Hinterstein in Feb 1969. I have some pics somewhere, if I can find them.
.I used to teach the OC's Wife and kids to ski as well, what a doddle, with a big bundle of ski lift tickets then off to Oberjock (on the Austrian border) for the day, skiing and drinking hot chocolate.
cheers.
Back to top Go down
afpe45
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime25/1/2023, 18:34

I remembered one of their names, Steve Colton, He was a better skier than me from what I remember.
and Chris something, I remember teaching him a bit before we went.
found a picture of the team. does anyone remember them.
cheers.
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Snapsh10
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Snapsh11
RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Snapsh12
Back to top Go down
afpe45
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime25/1/2023, 18:42

RCT plaque & me, LOL.
Cheers.RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Snapsh13
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN   RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RCT winter training centre HINTERSTIEN
Page 1 of 1