BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Pictures Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Pictures Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Pictures Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Pictures Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Pictures Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Pictures Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Pictures Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Pictures Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Pictures Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Pictures Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Pictures Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Pictures Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Pictures Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Pictures Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Pictures Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 45 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 45 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Pictures

Go down 
+13
Shelldrake
Ian
recce83
jim
recymech
Peter Kroos
Hardrations
Stephen Lock
Gwynno
alan8376
ciphers
Paul
Danzig
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Danzig
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-11-29

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime29/11/2009, 08:53

Does anyone has got old pictures from Bad Oeynhausen until 1954?
Can anyone help to find an adress etc to find photos etc.?
I am living in Bad Oeynhausen (in the former "district"). My grandma and her children have left Bad Oeynhausen in 1945 (?) and come back in 1954.
The only english word my father knew was "chocolate"...
Does anyone needs photos from BadO from today'?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime29/11/2009, 12:13

Danzig wrote:
Does anyone has got old pictures from Bad Oeynhausen until 1954?
Can anyone help to find an adress etc to find photos etc.?
I am living in Bad Oeynhausen (in the former "district"). My grandma and her children have left Bad Oeynhausen in 1945 (?) and come back in 1954.
The only english word my father knew was "chocolate"...
Does anyone needs photos from BadO from today'?

The only photographs that BAOR Locations has of Bad O (to my knowledge) are those that are here:-

http://baor-locations.com/Badoeynhausen.aspx

If you have any that show the buildings (or heir replacements) today would be welcome, and would be posted on the page above. Let me know if you have anything like that, and we can arrange for me to receive them.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime29/11/2009, 20:43

In 1952 I lived at 2 Charlotten Strasse for about 6 weeks while temp attached to HQ BAOR ...

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime29/11/2009, 22:30

Here is a little snippet from Bad Oeynhausen in the Pathe News when the HQ moved.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=62572

I found lots of interesting OTHER bits of News reels.

Alan
Back to top Go down

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime30/11/2009, 15:57

Can you believe the uniforms and civvy garb in the Munchenglad newsreel? Interesting to see what kids wore in the 50s, no jeans then.

Where are some of those kids now?

Brilliant stuff.
Back to top Go down
Danzig
Private
Private

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime30/11/2009, 16:46

@Len (Ciphers): is it possible, that is Charlottenplatz (square) and not Charlottenstreet? Meanwhile I have read something about the (my hometown) Bad Oeynhausen history. Interesting. Some people said, there have been leaflets in the beginning of 1945 with a text not to destroy Bad Oeynhausen "because we want to live there"...
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime30/11/2009, 17:29

I posted the same on the RAOC site.

Believe it or not! I have had a reply from one guy. He is on the Newsreel as a child.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime30/11/2009, 17:41

Danzig, it is possible that I have the name wrong .. a long time ago .. it was about two minute walk from the HQ BAOR building, five minutes from the 'bath house', great after a 12 hour night shift and about ten minutes from the Kurpark ..

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime30/11/2009, 19:35

ciphers wrote:
Danzig, it is possible that I have the name wrong .. a long time ago .. it was about two minute walk from the HQ BAOR building, five minutes from the 'bath house', great after a 12 hour night shift and about ten minutes from the Kurpark ..

Len (Ciphers)

Charlottenplatz is about an eight minute walk (less to a fit young squaddie like you) almost due east of the Hotel Konigshof (if it is the same one Smile ) It links Doktor-Neuhauser Strasse with Heinrich Strasse.

You would need to be going some to reach the nearest, present day, Charlotten Strasse Wink . It is nearly 11km walking distance, in Minden.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime30/11/2009, 23:22

Then Charlottenplatz is was, even in those days 11 klicks would have made me a basket case ...

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime30/11/2009, 23:41

Danzig has sent some photographs to me of present day Bad O, plus one older one. Do you remember the Lions outside the HQ building?!?!

I am just waiting for hie reply as to where he would like me to put them.

And don't anybody think of a silent wise remark as an answer to that last bit either.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Danzig
Private
Private

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime1/12/2009, 13:40

Ciphers, you're right.
The Charlottenstraße is named ""Dr.-Neuhäußer-Str" today. You can find it at maps.google ...
Back to top Go down
Gwynno
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 39
Places Served : Dad; Celle, Iserlohn, Munster, Hemer
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime2/12/2009, 23:17

alan8376 wrote:
Here is a little snippet from Bad Oeynhausen in the Pathe News when the HQ moved.

Fantastic stuff - you guys never cease to surprise me with the variety and quality of resources that you are able to quickly add to this site. In my view the internet is generally full of "tosh" but you guys show just how useful and powerful the internet can be.

Great work! 'cheers'
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime2/12/2009, 23:43

Gwynno wrote:
alan8376 wrote:

Fantastic stuff - you guys never cease to surprise me with the variety and quality of resources that you are able to quickly add to this site. In my view the internet is generally full of "tosh" but you guys show just how useful and powerful the internet can be.

Great work! 'cheers'

We use what we can find Very Happy Some items searched out go straight out the window because they are definitely silent . Others prove to be of use, and wherever possible credit is given, permission asked, etc.

Paul.

P.S. You are not anywhere near Rhos by any chance??
Back to top Go down
Gwynno
Sgt
Sgt

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime3/12/2009, 12:13

Paul,

I'm 8 miles north of Rhos (Wrexham) in Broughton or did you mean Rhos on Sea or Rhos South wales ?

Gwyn
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime3/12/2009, 22:29

Gwynno wrote:
Paul,

I'm 8 miles north of Rhos (Wrexham) in Broughton or did you mean Rhos on Sea or Rhos South wales ?

Gwyn

It was the Rhos in Wrexham I meant. My good lady has a cousin who lives there. there is a long story behind that one as well Very Happy

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gwynno
Sgt
Sgt

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime4/12/2009, 22:31

Dare I ask about the long story or is this best left to other forums to enjoy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime4/12/2009, 23:51

Gwynno wrote:
Dare I ask about the long story or is this best left to other forums to enjoy. Smile

Gwynno,

Very Happy No, it is not that type of story Very Happy

Quite a number of years ago, we decided to go across and visit my mum and stepdad in Solihull, where they were then living. They then proceeded to give us there little touring caravan, as they had no further use for it.

We had come via Dublin - Holyhead, and were coming home that way. As we had a little time to spare, I decided (with agreement of course Smile ) to go and look for my maternal granny's old house in North Wales, and we ended up on a touring site about 5 miles from it.

On the way, my good lady saw a sign for Wrexham and said..."I have a cousin who lives there"... After we booked in to the site and sorted ourselves out I asked her about this cousin.

The conversation went along the lines that Wrexham could not be that big, and she should be easy enough to find as she knew her married name. Suddenly a little memory crossed my tiny little mind - I had been told she married a Welshman (see where this is going!!)

Soooo - in great trepidation I asked the married name. The reply....Jones!!

After I showed her the pages in the local 'phone book listing Jones, you can guess the result Very Happy. Happily though, we were back in North Wales a couple of years later and by then contact had been made....... the rest is history.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime5/12/2009, 00:41

Thought the British Pathe clip to be interesting....certainly Married Quarters, even freshly built ones, all had a certain 'look' to them.

I had to chuckle with the HQ clip showing the flags outside. The 3rd one shown was the Canadian Red Ensign which was, up until 1965 (or maybe it was '67), Canada's national flag.

When Prime Minister Lester Pearson and his Liberal Government set about a design competition for an actual Canadian flag,it set off a firestorm of controversy. I'd say most Canadians were strongly attached to the Red Ensign -- I know my family was!

We heard the usual, and to me perfectly valid, arguments about how our troops had fought under the Red Ensign, how it represented history and tradition and our links with England (Union Jack in the corner).

Of course, the opposing arguments often included the usual stuff about how it was time Canada 'grew up' and severed its ties with England and created its own identity (in other words, ditch any reference to the Union Jack).

Kicking around in some box somewhere is a mock-up of one of the flag designs submitted. What Ottawa did was issue small nylon prototypes of the various designs...some truly gawdawful as I recall. The one we kept -- and I'm not sure why -- was a stylized Maple Leaf branch featuring 3 leaves in either green or blue. I forget why it had 3...something about the Founding Nations but that'd be only 2 (French and English).

When the Red Maple Leaf was chosen, many people detested it.

We lived in Ottawa at that time and I clearly remember when the Red Maple Leaf was first flown from the top of the Peace Tower, the central tower on our Houses of Parliament. My mother commented it looked like a "dish towel..."

Here we are 44-odd years later and I still tend to view the Maple Leaf as 'the new flag.' Such a traditionalist!!!

Apart from the fact the Red Ensign was an adaptation of an existing Navy ensign, and so it could be argued I suppose not a "real" flag, I liked the Red Ensign. It's design reflected the Dominion of Canada's history in both the Union Jack in the corner as well as the shield in the lower right corner.

Of course, we ditched the designation of "Dominion" as well, which I thought a real shame. There was not one thing wrong with being The Dominion of Canada and, I believe, it set us apart from every other nation that used terms like Republic or Kingdom.

In a related matter, I also remember being in college circa 1976 and arguing in a political science class that waking up one day and hearing that Canadians had had our status as "British subjects" done away with by an Act of Parliament was wrong.

Not so much that we were no longer "British subjects" per se, but that our political status -- one could even say cultural status -- and identity had been altered with no input or discussion from the very citizens it would affect. I had an issue with that.

Looking back now, there definitely seemed to be a progression of changing the Canadian identity....changing the flag, dropping the "Dominion of Canada" from all official material, changing the Royal Post Office of Canada to "Canada Post", the British subject issue, the reparation of our Constitution and the creation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (okay, that I supported!), investing the Supreme Court of Canada with ultimate say, so that we no longer had to trot off to Westminster for legal decisions (supported that too).

Oh, I could go on and on....Smile
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime5/12/2009, 19:02

Read your post with interest Stephen, as a 'new immigrant' to Canada (1966) most of what you itemized happened during my time here. I was attracted to Canada because of lifestyle, better prospects for my self and family than I could foresee in the UK, and a connecting heritage of race, political and religious freedoms (although the latter has little or no interest to me personally).
I have like many native born and earlier immigrants watched the changing face of Canada over the past 40 plus years, oh to go back to the era of the Pathe news clip, a simpler, gentler time. But time marches on, I'm 44 years older, my two son's are 100% Canadianized and my grand kids were born here, and I would not hesitate to encourage any one from any country to come and enjoy the benefits of living in such a wonderful country as Canada. My only request of them is to consider what attracted them to Canada in the first place, accept and enjoy those freedoms and leave the conditions that persuaded them to leave their country of origin back there. One Land, one Law applied equally to all.
Sorry for rant guys, perhaps the wrong forum ...

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime5/12/2009, 21:06

Of course I agree with you, Len....don't get me wrong, I am a proud Canadian (hockey mania aside LOL...) and, having lived in all parts of Canada during my span on earth and outside of it as well, I am aware of just how good we have it here, even with all the problems, issues, etc that any nation deals with. Utopia it's not, but neither is it a hell on earth....

Clearly, after nearly 150 years of being a nation (for our British friends, Confederation -- the formation of the nation known as Canada -- occurred in 1867 with the uniting of what was previously known as Upper and Lower Canada (Ontario, Quebec and some of the Maritime provinces)), it is important we create a distinctly 'Canadian identity.'

Having said that....I think we should have built on identities such as being a Dominion etc. rather than plough them under, but I know writing that sounds very reactionary and not at all "progressive". Ironically, I am very progressive politically....which has got me into trouble over the years LOL

However, as Len points out, perhaps discussions re a Canadian identity is better left for a different forum. :-)

On the other hand, the struggles we as Canadians face in forming that identity are ones faced by UK and others.

How English is England these days? Even sleepy little Sussex and Kentish market towns are feeling the effects of -- how to phrase this? -- non-English immigration. The faces of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales hve changed dramatically in the last 40 -odd years and while a more polyglot mix is wonderful in some ways, it does alter the ethos of a nation into something quite different.

Even Switzerland has had to take controversial steps to ensure "foreign" influences do not overwhelm Swiss as in the banning of the building of minarets (not the mosques themselves, it needs to be noted) so that Switzerland continues to look, and be, Swiss.

It is easy to dismiss such things as 'racist' or 'ethno-centric' or 'xenophobic' -- and they can certainly be that, that is true -- but that's too easy a dismissal.

What makes England, English? What makes Germany, German? Switzerland, Swiss or Canada, Canadian? It's subtle and complex and, I believe, needs to also include aspects of other cultures but at the same time the original culture, that what makes England English or Canada Canadian or Wales Welsh, need to be honoured and even protected.

But, again, perhaps that is a whole other forum and discussion!
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime6/12/2009, 13:59

Feb. 65 was the introduction of the Canadian Flag Stephen. I was on course at 4 Sigs Sqn up in Fort Henry when they brought it in. I have pictures of the parade.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime7/12/2009, 03:28

Thanks....I was almost certain it was 1965 as I was in Grade 6 (oy!) and living in Ottawa when that whole kerfuffle was going on but then I second guessed myself and thought maybe it was for Centennial (1967)...but if I had taken a moment to think it through, I would have of course realized it was, in fact, '65. Such a long time ago.
Back to top Go down
Peter Kroos
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-03-01

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 16:02

Hello,
does anybody knows "Schloss Benkhausen"? It is very near by Lübbecke und BadO. It should be a part of the headquarter of the BAOR.
Thank you very much
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.kroosundschlemper.de
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Number of posts : 81
Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 20:06

ciphers wrote:
I would not hesitate to encourage any one from any country to come and enjoy the benefits of living in such a wonderful country as Canada. My only request of them is to consider what attracted them to Canada in the first place, accept and enjoy those freedoms and leave the conditions that persuaded them to leave their country of origin back there. One Land, one Law applied equally to all.

I notice your location, we have friends who have settled in Abbotsford they love it there. We hope to make the move over once my 22 years is up. The wide open spaces stunning countryside and better way of life is what's attracting me and the wife and the chance to bring our kids up in that wonderful environment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pictures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pictures   Pictures Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pictures
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next