BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 80 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 80 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Rheindahlen - The Kremlin

Go down 
+11
unclevanya
Les Pattenden
brum
Shelldrake
dagian
gingerjim
jim
Paul
Bill 1
Goldmohur
donwhitehead
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
donwhitehead
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Empty
PostSubject: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime3/12/2009, 13:58

Does anyone remember the Kremlin,a massive building which as well as housing the Rhein Army Signal Centre provided a home to many Nato units.

A look at Google earth shows how much the area has changed since my time in 19 AGSR 1956-58

OP_Ultra likes this post

Back to top Go down
Goldmohur
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Gutersloh, Duisburg, Bracht, Rheindahlen. Also Non BAOR, Blackdown, Corsham. Shoeburyness, Ty Croes, Aden, Bicester.
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime3/12/2009, 14:09

We called it "The Big House" in my time there from 1967 to 1970.
Back to top Go down
donwhitehead
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime3/12/2009, 14:57

Don't recognise any of it now on Google earth
Back to top Go down
Bill 1
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 18
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : BAOR Birgelen, Brannenburg, Langeleben.
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Rheindahlen   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime14/2/2010, 12:45

I served with the Royal Signals in Birgelen, not far from Rheindahlen and in other locations in Germany, and we had a 'patch' with one sword, vertical on a red cross with a blue background. Not the 'cross swords' on a blue background. That came later, after I was demobbed in 1959.( I would 'attach' a copy, but I am defeated by the instructions!).
Can anyone confirm what qualified our unit to wear this patch? I was told at the time that all those units that came under the control of Rheindahlen, wore this patch if they didn't have their own regimental patch.
Anyone remember the qualification required for the one sword patch?
Bill.

[/img][img]
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime14/2/2010, 13:04

Bill 1 wrote:
I served with the Royal Signals in Birgelen, not far from Rheindahlen and in other locations in Germany, and we had a 'patch' with one sword, vertical on a red cross with a blue background. Not the 'cross swords' on a blue background. That came later, after I was demobbed in 1959.( I would 'attach' a copy, but I am defeated by the instructions!).
Can anyone confirm what qualified our unit to wear this patch? I was told at the time that all those units that came under the control of Rheindahlen, wore this patch if they didn't have their own regimental patch.
Anyone remember the qualification required for the one sword patch?
Bill.

[/img][img]

Bill,

Take a look at http://baor-locations.com/BAORFlash.aspx

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Goldmohur
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Places Served : Gutersloh, Duisburg, Bracht, Rheindahlen. Also Non BAOR, Blackdown, Corsham. Shoeburyness, Ty Croes, Aden, Bicester.
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime15/2/2010, 14:19

I have an example of the Crossed Sword insignia which in my time 1967 to 1971 was appropriate to HQ BAOR.

What you describe is the insignia for Rhine Area as opposed to other BAOR units who came under the control of HQ 1 (BR) Corps.
Back to top Go down
donwhitehead
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime28/10/2010, 19:12

When I was at 19 army group 57-58 we wore the crossed swords shoulder flash of BAOR HQ
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime29/10/2010, 10:20

It was the "Big House" in the '70's as well as far as I know. I never served there, but when I was at Corp's HQ we did a summer TEWT in the Gymnasium there.
Back to top Go down
donwhitehead
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime29/10/2010, 10:23

Do you remember Roy Willingale? He was a LT when I was there but I undertand he made Lt Col
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 19:47

56 59 i was at viersen used to spend many happy hours at rheindahlen , globe cinema, naafi , that big pub in the woods , and the lovely ladies of wrac, ginger
Back to top Go down
dagian
Sgt
Sgt
dagian

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : UK (Nuneaton/Barnard Castle/Larkhill/Bulford), Germany (Gutersloh/Lubbecke).Then worked as Civvy for Army.
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 21:55

Quote :
and the lovely ladies of wrac
29 Coy WRAC .. more than a few stories to recite about my times with some of them - unfortunately not suitable for this Forum ! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.football-linx.com/

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 22:58

Oh i think they would be suitable..Do tell.Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Party
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 08:34

dagian wrote:
Quote :
and the lovely ladies of wrac
29 Coy WRAC .. more than a few stories to recite about my times with some of them - unfortunately not suitable for this Forum ! Twisted Evil

Come on. there's only me and Gordon read this sort of stuff! Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 11:02

And Brum...When he`s not watching the ladies tennis sunny
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 19:25

them girls played a real mean game of hockey half of veirsen hockey team had to report sick after playing the ladies, they took no prisoners , we used to have great times with the girls though , wonderful company , they could drink most men at rheindahlen under the table, one who will remain nameless used to have to shave her chin every morning, i made the mistake of taking her to the globe one night, after heavy snogging i found i had a rash over my face. it was her stubble that did it , ginger
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 20:13

Are you quite sure of the sexual orientation of these "ladies" Ginge ?

It sounds a bit to me like one of those Rugby club bashes, where they all turn out in drag . . . know what I mean ? drunken
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 21:53

Toggle and Two? Or does that come under "Army Lingo"?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 23:07

Shelldrake wrote:

Forgive this dribbling old geriatric.

I can't find "Toggle and Two" anywhere.

Repeat. Over.
Back to top Go down
dagian
Sgt
Sgt
dagian

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : UK (Nuneaton/Barnard Castle/Larkhill/Bulford), Germany (Gutersloh/Lubbecke).Then worked as Civvy for Army.
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 01:15

29 Coy WRAC was a 'punishment' posting for some of the girls.
Most of the Lezzies were posted there. They couldn't kick them all out so they used to try and keep them together in one Unit.
I was quite pleased because they used to look after me and my straight girl-friend ... I spent many a weekend in their Block and the Lezzies would provide an early warning system if the RMP were approaching, giving me time to 'disappear'. One of my 'disappearing acts' was to move from my girl-friend's room into the next room occupied by a couple of Lezzies ---- I would climb into their bed (between the two hot bodies), the RMP would then look in see the 2 girls in the same bed and not imagine there was a guy under the bedclothes between them!
Ahh those were the days. Shocked
Lost a Brigadier's Staff car, as a result, one weekend but that is a another story!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.football-linx.com/
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 08:26

brum wrote:
Shelldrake wrote:

Forgive this dribbling old geriatric.

I can't find "Toggle and Two" anywhere.

Repeat. Over.

Meat and two veg! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 08:28

dagian wrote:
29 Coy WRAC was a 'punishment' posting for some of the girls.
Most of the Lezzies were posted there. They couldn't kick them all out so they used to try and keep them together in one Unit.
I was quite pleased because they used to look after me and my straight girl-friend ... I spent many a weekend in their Block and the Lezzies would provide an early warning system if the RMP were approaching, giving me time to 'disappear'. One of my 'disappearing acts' was to move from my girl-friend's room into the next room occupied by a couple of Lezzies ---- I would climb into their bed (between the two hot bodies), the RMP would then look in see the 2 girls in the same bed and not imagine there was a guy under the bedclothes between them!
Ahh those were the days. Shocked
Lost a Brigadier's Staff car, as a result, one weekend but that is a another story!!!

Dagian, I think it was in 29 Coy that the phrase "WRAC Boxing Team" originated.
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 19:14

brum she was the right gender ok , funny enough she came from brum , mind you we did run into the weird type in the dock area in antwerp , dislodged many a tooth from lovely looking blondes in dannys bar , what a place that was , its a wonder the queer buggers kept using the place after the beatings they took , funny enough the gendarmes always took their side, ginger
Back to top Go down
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Number of posts : 473
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Aldershot, Marchwood, Longmoor, Dusseldorf,Munster,Ratingen,Longmoor
Registration date : 2011-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime13/11/2011, 11:32

Yes it was certainly "The Big House" during my time, although I did not have the dubious honour of having a rash from beard stubble, all the ladies of the WRAC I worked with and certainly in Rhine Area were really nice (sort of feminine) and as said could certainly drink a lot of soldiers under the table

Les
Back to top Go down
donwhitehead
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: 29 WRAC   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime5/9/2012, 21:15

They weren't all lezzies. I left one behind when I got demobbed and tried to get in touch without success
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime14/9/2012, 11:24

I used to hear stories about some of the WRAC girls, that some were build like 'Brick Outhouses' and could pick up a Squaddie and chuck them across the bar (The Shack) if anyone horned in on their Girlfriend - a pretty, good looking young greenhorn WRAC who had just been posted out from Blighty would be taken under the wings of those girls (usually RCT 3 tonne or 10 tonne truck drivers).

As far as Rheindhalen was concerned, there us to be a Recce Truck that ran from 28 (BR) Sig Regiment for the Lads up to Rhiendhalen for R & R (boozing) in the various clubs, bars etc every evening around 6:30 pm. The only one I can remember was the 'Shack', a German Bar, the 'Queensway Club' (RAF one) and another NAAFI run club for us lot, the Squaddies.

Many a drunken evening's boozing was carried out back in the 1960s. Many a dreaded night as Recce NCO on duty (I was a newly promoted unloved Lance Corporal). It was a duty that I used to dread, particularly trying to persuade drunken mates to climb back on the back of the Bedford 3 Tonner being used as the Recce vehicle.

We always stopped on the way back at a German Chippy for Pomfrits mit Mayo before getting back to camp. All good fun, but at times it could bring about a 'clenching of buttox', especially when some of the Regiment Hard Cases had decided to make use of the Recce vehicle for an evenings pee up at Rhiendhalen. drunken Shocked

Last edited by unclevanya on 14/9/2012, 23:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Dyslexic Keyboard & Not enough coffee)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rheindahlen - The Kremlin   Rheindahlen - The Kremlin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rheindahlen - The Kremlin
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next