BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Woodsford - or descended from that name, 1951
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 13:42 by MarieH

» Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 09:14 by Mikeh

» Do you know this place - Bothfeld Kaserne
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 10:44 by steve

» Barker Bks, (prev. Panzer Viking!) Driburgerstr, Paderborn
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 08:46 by steve

» Horrocks Barracks, Schloss Neuhaus
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 08:42 by steve

» Soldiers Pensions
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime6/9/2024, 00:09 by Pborn4

» RAPA, Bad Lippspringer
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime3/9/2024, 08:33 by Dee Z

» Polish Air Force
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime2/9/2024, 22:51 by Pborn4

» NAAFI to be closed
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime1/9/2024, 19:07 by Pborn4

» History of the Garrison and Brits in Westfalen (Impacts)
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime25/8/2024, 15:51 by Rocky

» Have you heard of a place called SCHMIEDE?
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime23/8/2024, 20:08 by Pborn4

» Long shot Hildesheim 1964
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime22/8/2024, 04:49 by Kevin1964

» New BAOR-locations website - 25 May 2024
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime20/8/2024, 11:17 by steve

» Units at Roberts Barracks
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime20/8/2024, 10:12 by garrymac

» R.A.F. Eindhoven - 1953
Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime16/8/2024, 13:59 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 38 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 38 Guests :: 3 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
September 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Photo from Dortmund.

Go down 
+3
steve
Brian (Berlin-Brian)
ALAN.BREAKSPEAR
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ALAN.BREAKSPEAR
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 71
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : (The Old Rooks) Oswestry..(West Riding Barracks) Dortmund.1958-1960.
Registration date : 2010-02-12

Photo from Dortmund. Empty
PostSubject: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime22/3/2010, 20:27

Photo from Dortmund.
Back to top Go down
ALAN.BREAKSPEAR
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Places Served : (The Old Rooks) Oswestry..(West Riding Barracks) Dortmund.1958-1960.

PostSubject: Photo from Dortmund, second attempt   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime25/3/2010, 20:57

Photo from Dortmund. Img013

Sorry but the first attempt failed as my computer crashed!

Again taken in 1960 (can't remember name on the right) at 45Field Regiment RA at West Riding Barracks Dortmund.

Alan
Back to top Go down
Brian (Berlin-Brian)
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Brian (Berlin-Brian)

Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime25/3/2010, 22:42

A great photo a Austin Champ and in the back ground A Bedford RL
magic .Thats what i like Very Happy
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1021
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime26/3/2010, 18:00

Great photo Alan and you can see the revised 2 Inf Bde formation badge from 1958 when they joined 4 Div and the BDs look smart!
Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime26/3/2010, 21:29

Looking at the photo of the lads in BD made me smile, you can see the large map pocket on the trousers. While I was at Catterick prior to going to BAOR I had the map pocket removed from my best BD as it looked smarter when walking out. My RSM Jimmy Derwent at 6 Armoured Div Sigs pulled me up one day and said 'there's something different about you corporal, but I don't know what' .. it took him almost two years to find me out.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime27/3/2010, 23:20

The Canadian BD differed in only some detail. Aside from flaps on all pockets that hid the buttons, the map pocket was on the outside-front quarter of the trouser leg rather than on the side. As a result the front trouser crease ran about half way through the map pocket which made it impossible to have as sharp a crease as on the rest of the pant leg.

It never bothered me all that much, but a few guys would cut the pocket off, leaving only the flap in place. Never saw that it did much overall, but there it was.

It's the small stuff that makes life interesting!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime28/3/2010, 11:58

The thing I remember about the Canadian BD was that it was smarter than ours, wasn't the colour a little greener too ? Extra large blokes, who couldn't get a BD to fit them from the stores used to get a Canadian uniform I seem to recall.
On the subject of smartness, how come the Canadians had such great looking berets ? I always seemed to get one that had been a muzzle cover for an 8 inch howitzer!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime28/3/2010, 12:11

Alan,
I've been looking at your photo too.
BD seems to be your working dress, were you a clerk in those days ? Most of us peasants had to wear denims where we worked ! "Z3", I'm a bit rusty on veh tac signs now but wasn't that one of the CO's party ?
I notice the old 19 set was still in use, (looking at the aerial mounting.) Looks like somebody was getting ready to go on exercise, doesn't it ?
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime28/3/2010, 18:42

Can someone tell me what happened to the "quote" icon? I'm replying to Brum's question here. I don't recall the BD being greener, but it was a bit lighter khaki than yours. The material, although serge, was a bit finer also I think.

As for the berets...we have the Belgians to thnk for those. We used to buy them ourselves back in the 50s Somehow the German tailors got them. I think we paid about DM 5 which translated in those days into about ten glasses of bier. The regular issue berets were like parachutes. Even boiling and shrinking did little to make them look decent.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime28/3/2010, 20:32

BELGIAN berets !! I never expected that.
A question Sir, (way off matters BAOR), were you, as a member of The Black Watch, in Cyprus in '69 ?
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime29/3/2010, 04:19

Unfortunately no, I missed Cyprus. I didn't like the way the unification talk was going and got out after coming home from Germany. That was before Cyprus and other things came along that might have led me to reconsider. Rear view mirrors should sometimes be avoided!

We of course didn't wear berets, only blue bonnets and balmorals which were better made. Just as well as the Belgies didn't have highland regiments.

By the way I rediscovered the "quote" icon. It was hidden to the right on my screen and I hadn't arrowed over.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime29/3/2010, 13:23

Thanks for your reply.
I didn't want to stray too far from BAOR but wanted to confirm something that the Black Watch were supposed to have done in Cyprus.
Back to top Go down
ALAN.BREAKSPEAR
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime29/3/2010, 16:31

Hello Brum.
Yes you are right i was a "clerk" in the RHQ MT Office doing all the paper work for Petrol and Oils for the Regiments Vehicles. And yes i wore the uniform all the time.(Before i got called up for National Service i was working in Engineering, never worked in a office before,i think they put you in just the opposite to what you did in civy street.) Can't remember much about the Photo's only that they were taken at the back entrance to the Barrack rooms of RHQ
Many Thanks Alan.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime30/3/2010, 20:56

At the risk of pulling this off topic, the mention of Cyprus reminded me that in 1970/71 when my family and I were living in Iserlohn, we went to Cyprus for our Xmas holidays (sounds tewwibly posh I know!! Thing is we flew out of Lahr in the back of a loud, drafty, Hercules transport surrounded by boxes of Canadian Club and other crucial supplies!). We stayed in Kyrenia on the north shore (Greek area) but managed to pretty much cover the entire island during our stay (and a few adventures with Turkish militia down around Limmasol...but that's another story).

At that time a few of Irish Rangers guys were down in...hmmm...I think Limmasol or maybe Pathos (spelling is off...birthplace of Aphrodite), one of whom was the dad of my best friend back in Hemer, so we dropped by for a visit. I forget his name, unfortunately, but he was a gruff Sgt/Corporal (demoted a couple of times, as I recall, busted from Sgt down to Corporal, get back up to Sgt and get busted down again!) and while pleased to see us didn't indicate at all just how great our visit was for him, but did write to his wife back in Hemer how 'chuffed' he was we took the time to visit him...perked him up considerably.

Cyprus was quite the place....as a 17 year old I was an old hand at viewing European history, but Cyprus was a whole other experience! Far more ancient, of course, and very "Mediterranean". Hospitable too....excellent. Both sides, actually (even the Turkish militia mentioned earlier....!)
Back to top Go down
ALAN.BREAKSPEAR
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Photograph from Dortmund year 1958-1960.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime30/4/2013, 15:34

Photo from Dortmund. Img01310
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime30/4/2013, 22:57

"Z3", The Giddy Heights for us Gun Bunnies, but was that not RHQ Troop Alan ?

(Look at that antenna, 8ft rod, 19 set personified !).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photo from Dortmund.   Photo from Dortmund. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Photo from Dortmund.
Page 1 of 1