BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 72 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 72 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Weird Ranks and Traditions

Go down 
+10
Carl1960
Stephen Lock
JPW
Hardrations
brum
Teabag
dandc
mjm34
Mike_2817
jim
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/6/2010, 16:20

jim wrote:
I always wondered how you could tell the difference between a Yeoman and a foreman anyway.

Outwardly I suppose the Yeoman would be smarter in appearance, whereas the Foreman would be smarter in the brain Dept. Very Happy

(Digs in and waits for the barrage).
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/6/2010, 17:50

Foreman was the techie side and usually a bigger prick than the yeomen who were more the operating/crypto side.

Never forgotten that pumped up git of a foreman at Catterick who charged everyone on guard for alleged dirty kit when it was spotless. Sat there like one of the gestapo peeling off his leather gloves while he did it. Virtually having an orgasm at the same time.

Thankfully our SSM had a quiet word. Still remember his name.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/6/2010, 18:22

mjm34 wrote:
Mike_2817 wrote:
Custom within the RAOC and many other messes as well Brum, which I escaped it as I was made Substantive Sergeant backdated, and we had an Acting Sergeant who I immediately outranked much to his disgust! He triad to pull a flanker by volunteering for duty, but the RSM felt he needed the practise, and he got 6 more extras on the night, but I managed 3 extras anyway! but only did 1 of them as I was on tour in NI within a week, and they were forgot about!

Yep, also the way Mr-vice was selected in R Signals WOs & Joes Messes. Like you Mike I managed to bodyswerve the "honour" by being promoted sub on the same day as another guy got acting.

Mind you I did get lumbered as Property Member Mad

Mike

Also did Property Member, which was OK as the guy before had done a great job updating it, and I managed to hand over in the same condition(ish) but managed to avoid doing any other duties after that, mainly by being attached to other units.

Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/6/2010, 19:56

jim wrote:
Actually, are you saying that not all SSGT's in the Signals were Yeomen or Foremen then Mike?

We had troop staff sergeants. GD I suppose? I think the chief clerk at 20 Armd was one as well? Most foremen/yeomen that I came across were WO rank.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/6/2010, 08:57

Hmmm, I knew a YOS who was a SSGT, it must have been a trade thing then maybe?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/6/2010, 16:27

Y 0f S and F of S start as S/Sgt and progress through WO11 and WO1.The better ones get commisioned and become Traffic Officers or TOT`s.
The lowest ranking F of S i came across was a Sgt although i have heard there was a signalman F of S at Catterick..Probably the same guy
The highest ranking TOT was a Lt/Col at FEAF

And yes the foremen were more blessed in the brain department Cool Laughing
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/6/2010, 18:21

jim wrote:
Actually, are you saying that not all SSGT's in the Signals were Yeomen or Foremen then Mike?

Yes, that's the case. As well as YoS and FoS, there were GD guys who did Troop SSgt, SQMS etc. Gordon has explained the difference between a YoS and FoS above, and just to complicate matters even further you could also have a SSgt (Radio Supervisor) as well as Operators and Techs who were SSgts but not YoS or FoS.

Mike
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/6/2010, 18:31

Teabag wrote:
Foreman was the techie side and usually a bigger prick than the yeomen who were more the operating/crypto side.

Never forgotten that pumped up git of a foreman at Catterick who charged everyone on guard for alleged dirty kit when it was spotless. Sat there like one of the gestapo peeling off his leather gloves while he did it. Virtually having an orgasm at the same time.

Hmmm! I'm not sure about the "bigger prick" bit I came across some YoSs who thought they were ersatz RSMs too.

If the guy that you mention above is who I think he is, then he was deffo an exception rather than the rule. Would it be around 1973 at 8 Sigs and a certain WOI (FoS) B*****n? If so then I also experienced his brand of BS because he was Regtl FoS and I was in TM troop for a while waiting for my T1 course. I certainly would never want to be Guard Commander when he was Orderly Officer. A prick indeed but please don't tar all FoSs with the same brush Very Happy

Mike
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/6/2010, 20:23

mjm34 wrote:
Teabag wrote:

Hmmm! I'm not sure about the "bigger prick" bit I came across some YoSs who thought they were ersatz RSMs too.

If the guy that you mention above is who I think he is, then he was deffo an exception rather than the rule. Would it be around 1973 at 8 Sigs and a certain WOI (FoS) B*****n? If so then I also experienced his brand of BS because he was Regtl FoS and I was in TM troop for a while waiting for my T1 course. I certainly would never want to be Guard Commander when he was Orderly Officer. A prick indeed but please don't tar all FoSs with the same brush Very Happy

Mike

Sorry Mike no offence. You are absolutely spot on and I am glad I am not the only one. One incident like that can turn you against some people which is patently unfair.

He was obviously well known for it. I'm a great believer in karma and I am sure he got his eventually.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime18/6/2010, 23:42

Quote :
and Techs who were SSgts but not FoS

When did this happen?When i left in 70 the highest tech rank was Sgt,The only way forward was to go F of S or GD.
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/6/2010, 09:27

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
and Techs who were SSgts but not FoS

When did this happen?When i left in 70 the highest tech rank was Sgt,The only way forward was to go F of S or GD.

Hi Gordon. That changed in the mid '70s or thereabouts, you could then become a SSgt and still remain employed as a Tech. Any higher and you would probably have to go the GD route as presumably you would already have foregone becoming FoS.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/6/2010, 18:51

Hard rations

I think the practise of clearing the Mess Table before the Port is circulated was introduced to prevent the "King over the water" being toasted

An interesting topic this though sadly a number of the traditions have been lost with the recent round of Regimental amalgamations

Two more that someone may confirm

Firstly I believe there was atleast one Regiment (not Guards) who did not propose the Loyal Toast unless there were foreign guests present -the explanation being that their loyalty to the British Sovereign would never be questioned

Secondly there was one Regiment (Cavalry?) who continued talking during the Toast- the explanation being that the Prince Regent had said words to the efect "cut that c...p I'm enjoying myself!!" during a visit to the Mess

Last edited by JPW on 20/6/2010, 08:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/6/2010, 21:14

Bless you JPW, someone the same age as me !

In our mess we proposed the Loyal Toast regardless of who was present.
What pissed us off was that after "Ladies to the buffet" the local Burgers and dignitaries would hoover their way through the delicacies and leave us peasants with the unwanted.
In an Iserlohner Pilsner induced haze once, I was happily munching some black rubbery things to be told by my mad mate that I was eating snails. Worse was to come when some red crunchy things turned out to be chilli peppers. "Fart carefully, soldier !".
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/6/2010, 22:49

Hardrations wrote:
What about the toast to the Sovereign, being passed over the water? A Jacobite thingy I think.

I was thinking about this as well.

At least in Canadian Messes, all water goblets are removed prior to the Toast.

The tradition, as I understand it, was back in the day (Jacobite and Bonnie Prince Charlie) some would comply with the Toast to the (then) King only pass their glasses over the water goblets, signifying a toast to the "King" over the water, The Pretender, Charles aka Bonnie Prince Charlie, who was then exiled in France.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/6/2010, 01:20

When I was called for the toast to the cook (me.... yes me) I would be of course brought to the head table to receive this from the Mess President. The conversation usually went like this, " Here's your Coca Cola M/Cpl Campbell. I'll drink your port for you". Me, " Thank you sir". Yes a non drinking cook. Strange world. Eh....
Back to top Go down
Carl1960
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 7
Cap Badge : Junior leaders RAC and Royal Hussars (PWO)
Places Served : Bovingdon, Sennelager, Berlin, Catterick and Fallingbostel
Registration date : 2010-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/6/2010, 10:15

We had the deep joy of a second guard muster at 10.00Pm Because Lord Cardigan died at that time. Best boots on best boots off, best boots on best boots off. Apart from if memory serves when we were in Berlin and Chaz wavered it.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/6/2010, 11:31

In most places I was posted we had Staff Parade at 2200 Hrs (24 Hour Clock and all that) with the Gaurd less pickets on parade.

WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/6/2010, 20:42

In our Mess the port decanter wasn't allowed to touch the table until empty or it returned to Mr President. You had to receive it, fill your glass and then pass it on - all without it touching the table. Never found out why.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/6/2010, 22:51

ChrisP wrote:
In our Mess the port decanter wasn't allowed to touch the table until empty or it returned to Mr President. You had to receive it, fill your glass and then pass it on - all without it touching the table. Never found out why.

Bar steward, probably was trying to save on the cleaning bill Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Hardrations on 21/6/2010, 12:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/6/2010, 08:50

Couple more have come to mind

In a number of Scottish Regiments during formal Regimental Dinners it was customary to have a short musical interlude after the Loyal Toast before everyone left the table. This was given by a lone Bagpiper and after his set he would be offered a Piper's dram (neat whisky) in a ceremonial quaich by the PMC. This he would down in one, turn the quaich over, kiss the base to show it was empty and offer the greeting "Slaingh" before marching out of the room.

A second unique tradition was the Regimental Hymns of the 12th Lancers. The story goes that the Regiment was stationed in the Rome area for a short time in the 1790s. Their conduct so impressed the then Pope who presented the Regiment with a set of religous music. This was subsequently played by The Regiment's Band on a Parade on a regular (weekly?) basis . The tradition was carried forward after the amalgamation to form the 9/12 Lancers but must have ceased when the majority of Regimental Bands were cut in the 1990s.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/6/2010, 19:49

ChrisP wrote:

Off hand, I suspect it had something to do with ensuring nobody poisoned the port, slip some sort of powder into it ala Lucretia Borgia. If it is "passed off" continuously, with each recipient pouring himself a draught, the likelihood of some nefarious type slipping poison into it would be greatly reduced.

The use of testers when passing the port around likely proved unworkable...the poor sod would be blotto and under the table by the time the decanter got half way down the table!! LOL
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/6/2010, 19:52

JPW wrote:

A second unique tradition was the Regimental Hymns of the 12th Lancers. The story goes that the Regiment was stationed in the Rome area for a short time in the 1790s. Their conduct so impressed the then Pope who presented the Regiment with a set of religous music. This was subsequently played by The Regiment's Band on a Parade on a regular (weekly?) basis . The tradition was carried forward after the amalgamation to form the 9/12 Lancers but must have ceased when the majority of Regimental Bands were cut in the 1990s.

Whoa! Wonder how such a "Papist" tradition went over with died-in-the-wool Protestants?? Nice touch, though.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/11/2010, 17:43

When I joined 24 Msl Regt in 1971, Class T1 Survey Bombardiers wore 2 Stripes and a Crown and were known as S/Bdrs. My Son, who was in the Life Guards, finished up as a WO2 (Farrier Quartermaster Corporal). This appointment, as far as I am aware, is unique in the British Army.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/11/2010, 20:14

S/Bombardiers ? That's a new one on me.

Was it something that the regiment did internally Shelldrake ?
Back to top Go down
handler 69
WOI
WOI
handler 69

Number of posts : 160
Cap Badge : RACT
Places Served : Army Reserve TA
Registration date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 10:07

Some officers were also presented medals by the pope as well!
When I was going through boot camp we had a designated MP who chased away emus ( big flighless useless bird...like a politician with long legs! Laughing ) who would stroll onto the parade ground and attack a chaps slouch hat! He was known as the "Top Chook" scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.tassietanks.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird Ranks and Traditions   Weird Ranks and Traditions - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weird Ranks and Traditions
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next