BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 65 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 65 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

REME badge

Go down 
+8
brum
mjm34
bob
Mike_2817
ciphers
Mikey
jim
Teabag
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

REME badge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2010, 09:17

all of which is on your home pages Mike Wink
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2010, 20:05

brum wrote:
I suspect medals followed the coinage of the realm.
I just checked.
Victoria looks L, Eddie 7 -R, George 5- L, Eddie 8- R, George 6-L,
and Liz- R.
There are not many of Edward vii's coins around so he tends to get missed. (Useless little git).

brum

That's correct re Victoria L, Edward VII R, George V L, Edward VIII, R, George VI L and Elizabeth II, R....each new monarch alternates the profile on coinage and stamps. It has something to do with how the Roman Ceasars did it, classical profile etc etc, and it was to differentiate them from the previous Ceasar as so many of the representations of the time were idealized portraits so they all tended to look a bit the same (that or inbreeding!).

As for the crown....now I might be a bit off on this as my Royalist lore is a bit rusty now that mom has passed on (she was a storehouse of Monarchist and Royal Family trivia!) but yes, the Imperial State Crown was too heavy for the young Elizabeth and just didn't "suit" her at all so it was refashioned into the crown we identify as belonging to her reign; a lighter, airier looking crown, a more feminine crown, if you will.

The one worn by George V is a massive heavy and ornate piece and can still be seen in the Crown Jewel collection, I believe.

Now, if and when Charles ascends the throne he will get to choose which of several crowns he will use in his Coronation.

Coincidently, I did a Google search "just because" a few weeks ago on Papal Tiaras, those three tiered things so many popes are portrayed as wearing but recent popes are not and here, too, successive popes had their own. Some of survived and some have not, having been melted down for the gold and silver and the jewels pried out for use elsewhere. I think there is something like only a half dozen tiaras in the Vatican collection. John XXIII dispensed with sporting the papal tiara, opting for simpler skull caps and such, and other popes have followed suit. Either he or one of the John Pauls went a few steps further and dispensed with using the tiara during a Papal Coronation, opting instead for a version of the Bishop's Mitre. It all gets a bit muddled here around that as previously the Mitre was specifically NOT used for Papal Coronations and then, on top of all that, one of the recent popes decreed, or whatever it is they do, that henceforth it would not be a "Coronation" but, rather, an "Elevation" to pope. Just an aside....

The point being, each monarch can choose which crown they wish to be crowned with, although I believe the Imperial State Crown (a massive thing) is employed somewhere in the ceremony just not necessarily as the crown placed upon the head of the newly crowned monarch. Alternatively, the monarch-to-be can commission a Coronation Crown to be made specifically, but I doubt Charles will do that as the optics of it all (cost, indulgence, etc) wouldn't be very good. He will already be ascending the throne under some pretty loud Republican grumblings, if in fact he ever gets to ascend the throne.

We are in the midst of a Royal Visit here in Canada and, as always, the discussion about how relevant the monarchy is to Canada arises and should Canada "grow up" and dispense with our "foreign" monarch and elect our Head of State once Elizabeth II dies or maintain ties with the monarchy. Personally, I'm in favouring of maintaining existing ties, even if the new King is Charles III (or whatever name he chooses to reign under; he may opt to not be known as Charles III for historical reasons (Charles I being executed and Charles II being a rogue and the Restoration being known as a period of libertinism)).

Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/7/2010, 20:29

Another related trivia

Am I correct in thinking that the globe is slightly different in the other Commonwealth Corps? ie
REME highlights UK and Europe
RCEME Canada
RAEME Australia etc
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/7/2010, 01:45

Yes the Queen will be in Winnipeg once again, but will not be out on the Red River to be marooned as she was with her R.N. type husband. If any of you get to Winnipeg I'll have you out for breakfast at the Salisbury on the Bridge (a Wpg. institution) and you can see where she was marooned and in danger of Saskatchewan River pirates capturing her for ransome.( according to the UK Press).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_L9tXEwmc
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/7/2010, 12:03

Stephen Lock wrote:
As for the crown....now I might be a bit off on this as my Royalist lore is a bit rusty now that mom has passed on (she was a storehouse of Monarchist and Royal Family trivia!) but yes, the Imperial State Crown was too heavy for the young Elizabeth and just didn't "suit" her at all so it was refashioned into the crown we identify as belonging to her reign; a lighter, airier looking crown, a more feminine crown, if you will.

The one worn by George V is a massive heavy and ornate piece and can still be seen in the Crown Jewel collection, I believe.

Now, if and when Charles ascends the throne he will get to choose which of several crowns he will use in his Coronation.

Coincidently, I did a Google search "just because" a few weeks ago on Papal Tiaras, those three tiered things so many popes are portrayed as wearing but recent popes are not and here, too, successive popes had their own. Some of survived and some have not, having been melted down for the gold and silver and the jewels pried out for use elsewhere. I think there is something like only a half dozen tiaras in the Vatican collection. John XXIII dispensed with sporting the papal tiara, opting for simpler skull caps and such, and other popes have followed suit. Either he or one of the John Pauls went a few steps further and dispensed with using the tiara during a Papal Coronation, opting instead for a version of the Bishop's Mitre. It all gets a bit muddled here around that as previously the Mitre was specifically NOT used for Papal Coronations and then, on top of all that, one of the recent popes decreed, or whatever it is they do, that henceforth it would not be a "Coronation" but, rather, an "Elevation" to pope. Just an aside....

The point being, each monarch can choose which crown they wish to be crowned with, although I believe the Imperial State Crown (a massive thing) is employed somewhere in the ceremony just not necessarily as the crown placed upon the head of the newly crowned monarch. Alternatively, the monarch-to-be can commission a Coronation Crown to be made specifically.

Steven, You are wrong on almost every count (Please read my article which is quoted elsewhere, and information verified by the Tower of London)

REME badge - Page 2 British-crown-jewels
Crown Jewels in use for Coronation & State Occasions
Top: St. Edwards Crown Middle: Imperial State Crown (Notice its new shape)
Of the above, The only item that is used AFTER the Corrination, is the Imperial State Crown which the Queen (and Charles in his turn) wears at the State Opening of Parliment.

I repeat - There are only TWO Crowns worn by the Monarch (Male or Female) - Each worn on differant occations.

Crowns on images is a differant matter.

There are other crowns in the Royal Collection, such as the Queen Consorts Crown (Last worn by Elisabeth, the Queen Mother) worn by the wife of the King, but these are differant matters.

http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/crown_jewels.htm

Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/7/2010, 09:58

The "R.N.type husband" is also Royal Colonel (or equivalent) of a number of British and Commonwealth Corps or Regiments

It is a pity he is rarely photographed in military uniform apart from the annual Trooping the Colour ceremonies when he wears Grenadier Guards uniform
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/7/2010, 10:17

I'm amazed that Phill the Greek is still active, I think he's doing marvellously for his age.
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/7/2010, 12:26

not bad for his age,and still a gymastic kind of chap[every time he opens his mouth he puts his foot in it ] but unlike most of the royals his medals are for kicking ass and not licking it.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/7/2010, 14:11

LOL, yes I love the things he says sometimes. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/7/2010, 23:53

he makes the royals seem almost human.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 09:08

He does doesn't he Gordon. I've met him twice. Once when he visited the LI Depot in Shrewsbury way back in '72. That was a laugh, he didn't stick to the planned itinerary at all, wandered off around the accommodation blocks chatting to the lads, and the next at the Queen's garden party one year, he was more subdued there, maybe because the Queen had him in her view. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 16:35

dandc wrote:
not bad for his age,and still a gymastic kind of chap[every time he opens his mouth he puts his foot in it ] but unlike most of the royals his medals are for kicking ass and not licking it.

Yes, he tends to get a bad press but I've always liked him. Re medals, most of his were WWII so until recently not a lot of scope for the younger Royals to win "proper" medals.

A couple have: Andy (Falklands), Harry (Afghanistan). Trouble is it's way too much of a coup for any enemy/terrorist organisation to bump off one of our Royals.
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 19:40

i was not getting at andrew or harry,it was the likes of charles,anne and edward, they have a bit of silverware for betweenies [if there is such a word].
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 20:07

Appreciate the clarification/correction....the lower crown in your pic is the crown I -- and I think most people -- associate with Elizabeth II but I had forgotten, and you are quite correct in pointing out, the Imperial State Crown is the one used at the Opening of Parliament and as soon as I saw it, I had a mental picture of Lizzie wearing the thing as she did her Speech From the Throne gig!

Now "Victoria's Crown" is a whole different thing. To me, "Victoria's Crown" is that tiny little thing she wore on top of her lace veil after Albert died, as an old lady (her as an old lady, not Albert!!). Not really a tiara, although I suppose technically it was, but a rather odd little piece.

I think I was probably getting all muddled up with the crowns on images of the monarch, which is what I was going for, and the actual crowns used in Coronations and other such State occasions.

Just one other point of clarification....you will notice I use the English spelling of "Stephen" NOT the American spelling of "Steven" king

It's bit of a bone of contention with me, I'm afraid...right up there with people insisting on pronouncing "Stephen" as "Stefan", then proceeding to argue with me on the pronounciation LOL
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 20:10

JPW wrote:
The "R.N.type husband" is also Royal Colonel (or equivalent) of a number of British and Commonwealth Corps or Regiments

It is a pity he is rarely photographed in military uniform apart from the annual Trooping the Colour ceremonies when he wears Grenadier Guards uniform

During the current Royal Visit to Canada it was noted HRH wore the uniform of a Canadian Admiral when he and the Queen visited a Royal Canadian Navy site and it was met with general approval.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/7/2010, 23:35

Stephen Lock wrote:

Just one other point of clarification....you will notice I use the English spelling of "Stephen" NOT the American spelling of "Steven" king

Stephen, Sorry my mistake, I edited back your post, as a large quote detracts from the conversation.

Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/7/2010, 11:26

"During the current Royal Visit to Canada it was noted HRH wore the uniform of a Canadian Admiral when he and the Queen visited a Royal Canadian Navy site and it was met with general approval."

He did, good for him then Stephen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: REME badge   REME badge - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

REME badge
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2