BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Trying to identify a likely lad!
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:16 by SarahN

» Quebec Barracks in Osnabrück
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 19:14 by alan8376

» Sennelager 1977
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/5/2024, 23:15 by Spike68

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 38 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 38 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

"Driver Training" in BAOR

Go down 
+22
brian beckett
cartav
nails
lesty
Dolmetscher
jerry
JPW
BobG
mjm34
Brian Roberts
Goldmohur
burgess720
ciphers
brum
Shelldrake
Teabag
Daveb
Themaadone
jim
alan8376
steve jones
brrowe
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Goldmohur
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Gutersloh, Duisburg, Bracht, Rheindahlen. Also Non BAOR, Blackdown, Corsham. Shoeburyness, Ty Croes, Aden, Bicester.
Registration date : 2007-03-10

"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 15:33

Talking of Bde HQs, I was a minor cog in one of the units in 7 Arty Bde.

We would toil night after night moving from one location to another within a small geographical area. We had to be careful when close to Bde HQ as it was common to be picked up for minor infringements. Then the penny dropped. They did not move, being nicely located in a school (closed for the hols) or a barn while we lesser mortals traipsed from forest to forest. For them, it was a simple stroke of the Chinagraph pencil. For us, it was hours of toil in the dark and (usually it seemed) pouring rain with wet cam nets, ditched vehicles, poor directions, bad tempers, missed meals, lack of sleep etc so familiar to many.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 15:43

What's a Bde HQ? clown clown clown
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 16:53

Bde Hq is where the RSM sends stroppy corporals to get then out of Div Hq ..

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 19:25

You mean.........shock..........horror..........There are more REMFs further up the Chain???? affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 19:51

Goldmohur wrote:
Talking of Bde HQs, I was a minor cog in one of the units in 7 Arty Bde.

We would toil night after night moving from one location to another within a small geographical area. We had to be careful when close to Bde HQ as it was common to be picked up for minor infringements. Then the penny dropped. They did not move, being nicely located in a school (closed for the hols) or a barn while we lesser mortals traipsed from forest to forest. For them, it was a simple stroke of the Chinagraph pencil. For us, it was hours of toil in the dark and (usually it seemed) pouring rain with wet cam nets, ditched vehicles, poor directions, bad tempers, missed meals, lack of sleep etc so familiar to many.

Wish you were correct but our Bde HQ moved and moved and moved. Don't just think it was a 20 Bde thing either. This is why you had main and secondary (?) One took over and the Brigadier plus staff decamped there whilst the other moved. Note that the orficers never did any of the work though apart from moving themselves.

Is that the correct terms? Old timers disease starting to kick in!

Edit: Just remembered it was Main and Step up.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 20:46

jim wrote:
Didn't do much actual cross country work when I drove one Brum, maybe because we were Bde HQ and seemed to spend most of our ex's in barns and stuff.

I recall that Bde HQ used to be in a "cruciform". 4x432s backed up to each other with penthouses erected.

I thought it was more the Div HQs that used to get set up in comfort. Usually in a Chateau with Gen Haig and Gen Petain.

Surprised Wink
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/12/2010, 22:03

brum wrote:
jim wrote:
Didn't do much actual cross country work when I drove one Brum, maybe because we were Bde HQ and seemed to spend most of our ex's in barns and stuff.

I recall that Bde HQ used to be in a "cruciform". 4x432s backed up to each other with penthouses erected.

I thought it was more the Div HQs that used to get set up in comfort. Usually in a Chateau with Gen Haig and Gen Petain.

Surprised Wink

Blimey you are older than I thought. How was the Somme?

You are quite correct about the cruciform. Dirty horrible things they were too. Often wonder if they came into the 19th century after I left and got aluminium poles etc instead of those steel things.

Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 09:07

Yes it was Cruciform, but I worked in "Step Up" which was the Bde alternative HQ, we were always a few miles away and when the Bde HQ moved the Brigadier came to us with the G3 Ops and the DQ.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 20:06

Hiya Jim,

Quick change of subject !

You mentioned the other day that you were stationed in Woolwich.

When was that ?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 20:59

The only Cruciform that I came across was the one that secured the "Becket" on to the top of the Charge Bags!! Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime21/12/2010, 21:23

Cruciform, the one I remember was on me armour when charging those heathen Saracens at Jerusalem!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/12/2010, 09:10

Late '80's Brum, I was in the REME Data Centre working on Arrow and accommodated in the QE nurses mess
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/12/2010, 10:30

jim wrote:
Late '80's Brum, I was in the REME Data Centre working on Arrow and accommodated in the QE nurses mess

You lucky lucky barsteward!

Unless they were male nurses of course.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/12/2010, 10:39

jim wrote:

Just checking Jim, I left Woolwich late '80.

I wasn't sure when QEMH was handed over to the civvies. ('cos everybody knows you don't need a hospital for soldiers !).

I hear on the radio that our latest snow also dropped on you. Sorry about that.

Oh dear, mention of nurses has got teabag in a right old two and eight !
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/12/2010, 11:05

They were female nursing auxiliary's Teabag. Very Happy

Where were you stationed Brum, in the academy?
Back to top Go down
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

Number of posts : 119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : UK/BAOR
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/1/2011, 11:29

"Driver Training"
I can't remember whether it was the Bedford QL or RL, but one of them had a trap door in the back, just over the handbrake cable.
You know whats coming now, don't you?
Whenever a "sprog" commenced his driver training, one or two of us would jump aboard 'for the ride'.
We used to lift the trapdoor and wait until we were going uphill then stand on the cable, wait until the poor chap had gone down to 1st gear, the release the pressure.
We often did the same 'on the flat', which was quite amusing (for us.)

Sorry! Belated New Year Greetings to you all!
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 16:13

Another "Wheeze" that we carried out on the Landrover was to put the Fuel Changeover Lever or 4 Wheel Drive Lever in neutral.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 17:47

The crustier among us may remember doing a similar thing with the forward/reverse lever on the Austin Champ.

Turning the ignition off, when the student was looking elsewhere, was allways good for a laugh.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 17:50

jim wrote:

Sorry Jim, I missed this one.

I was in 21 Arty group, tucked away in the woods behind the Rotunda with the Dog Section.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 18:10

I remember driving the MTO of 24 Regt, who would ask, "What was that sign you just passed", if you didn't know the answer he would throw the ignition key out of the window!
Back to top Go down
Brian Roberts
Sgt
Sgt
Brian Roberts

Number of posts : 29
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : BAOR, Norway NI Belize ,Malaya, Hong kong ,BOBC Norway, Nuneton , Taunton , Woolwich ,Tidworth,, Worthy Down, Aldershot
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/1/2011, 14:07

jim wrote:

Hi Jim and Brumm
I think we must have been in woolwich together as I was at the QEMH from 1984-1991 and was living in the Acedomy blocks as the WO/SGT's mess was full but worked in out patients and the Medical resupply, There was a few lads from the REME data centre that used to go running with us in the lunch break .

Brian
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/1/2011, 16:40

brum wrote:
jim wrote:

Surprised Wink

Cheek! We were no better off at Div. Best we could hope for was to be able to park the wagon in a barn so we didn't have to cam up. Also used the cruciform at Div HQ. The 4 wagons involved were G Ops, G Int, Arty Ops & Arty Int, house bodies on the back of an RL or later an MK. Backed up to each other with with a platform between them to act as a floor so that the staff Officers didn't have to climb down and then up a set of steps to get from one to the other. They would have got wet though because there was no luxurious cover as at Bde!!

Mike
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/1/2011, 11:28

Seems like we were then Brian, small world isn't it.

I never served at Div level, but at Corps we didn't use the cruciform at all that I recall Mike.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/1/2011, 13:34

It was used at corps in the early 60s,when the reccy officers couldn`t find any handy barns.Not very often i might add.These guys liked their comforts.

The comhead at main corps used it on a rregular basis,but rear corps never in my time.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/1/2011, 14:38

I once went with the troop sergeant to find suitable locations for exercise, i.e. barns etc. He spoke the lingo and it was fun watching him explain to farmers that our "tanks" were only little and of course we wouldn't wreck the joint.

It was funnier watching the farmer and his families faces when we rolled up in our 432's. Not sure exactly what he was expecting but I am sure he got paid quite well. They did get paid didn't they or did we have to "accidently" damage something?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Driver Training" in BAOR
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next