BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Trying to identify a likely lad!
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 11:36 by SarahN

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 35 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 33 Guests :: 2 Bots

Pborn4, SarahN

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

"Driver Training" in BAOR

Go down 
+22
brian beckett
cartav
nails
lesty
Dolmetscher
jerry
JPW
BobG
mjm34
Brian Roberts
Goldmohur
burgess720
ciphers
brum
Shelldrake
Teabag
Daveb
Themaadone
jim
alan8376
steve jones
brrowe
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/1/2011, 16:29

Yes all farmers got paid appropriately called 'Barn Money'. The ammount depended upon how many troops and vehicles involved and what additional facilities were provided.

Bob
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/1/2011, 18:19

Exercise Spearhead 1, 1953 (?) 20 Armoured Brigade, just outside of Helzendorf .. we were holed up in a barn in monsoon type weather under a 'do not move order', this was to confuse the RAF who were subbing for Russians and trying to locate our forward positions. No cook wagon, sandwiches and hot cocoa was our mainstay until about the second or third day. We had heard a continuous running water sound but put it down to rain run off. Anyhow after a couple of days of the aforementioned grub, one of the boys tossed his mess tin over dividing wall that ran the length of the barn. There was an unmistaken sound of a bottle breaking. Climbing on some old farm gear to get a look-see over the wall, what did we behold, dozens of wine bottles laying in a long trough with water running over them apparently to keep them at a steady temperature, although I have never heard of that method before or since. Needless to say our outlook improved tremendously, in fact we quite forgot our 'do not move' order and its amazing how far an oil drum pontoon can be travel using only rifle butts as paddles.

Len (Ciphers}
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

Number of posts : 119
Places Served : UK/BAOR
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/1/2011, 19:56

I remember going on a "scheme" to a village called Hemmern or Emmern and the farmer was trying to get us to use a certain gateway but our CO was wise to what he was up to. Apparently under the entrance was a weak drain and if he could get us to damage it he could have claimed compensation.
Back to top Go down
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/1/2011, 19:19

Talking of Hemmern has reminded me of an incident that took place whilst on our way there for a “scheme”.
Our CO’s batman had gone on UK leave, as I hadn't passed my test and was still driver training I was selected to drive the “Jeep” and trailer heading the convoy, and carrying our CO and our Quartermaster “Q” Beech in the back seat.
All went well for some time until we were approaching Hemmern, where, to my consternation coming towards us was a tractor (one of those single cylinder things that used to bounce up and down on tick- over) and trailer, containing a load of felled trees, these trees overhung the rear of the trailer by about fifteen feet or more.
Suddenly the tractor began to turn across the road towards a farm entrance on our right.
I’d never had to cope with such an event before and panicked a bit, and not only was upon it but literally passed underneath the back end of the trailer which was still halfway across the road.
I actually felt the draught as the tree trunks passed overhead, missing the windscreen by about an inch, and managed to stop.
Silence!
I looked behind me and there was my CO with his hat slightly askew and “Q”,both ashen faced and staring straight ahead
Suddenly, “Q” in his broad Lancashire dialect spluttered “eee, Rowe lad, Never! Never change down for an emergency stop.”
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/1/2011, 21:05

I'm only two years behind you mate but when I got to Nienburg in '59 our regiment had the Austin Champ.
I don't recall any British unit having Jeeps then, (half tracks, yes). I wonder, when did Jeeps go out of service ?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 08:56

Brum, I passed my test in Boys Service in 63, in an Austin Champ, we also had the 1 ton Austin. The guys who had enlisted into the RASC did their driver training on the Bedford RL. I remember going to 3 BAPD, around 64, to collect SAA and seeing Champs. which were painted yellow, being used by Depot Staff. The only Unit that I can remember with Half Tracks was 2 Fd Regt.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 12:42

The only half-tracks we had in our regt were held by the REME. I allways remember how quiet they were on the move.

When did you have contact with 2 Fd Sheldrake ?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 15:43

Brum, the only time that I came into contact with them was when we shared Trauen Camp in the mid 60s - I was with 42 at the time.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 17:38

We had two half tracks in 20 Armd Bde Signals Sqn (1952) ... aptly named Certa and Cito ..
the Scaleys on the site will understand ..

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 18:13

But were they ???Certa and cito?
Back to top Go down
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

PostSubject: Driver training in BAOR!   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 19:39

Hi brum,
We had Jeeps in '57, also one Bedford RL, and the rest QL's.
I will have a hunt through my trusty old tin box, once again, as I'm sure there is one with a Jeep in the background in there somewhere.
We went over to RL's and replaced the Jeep with a Champ about '58, I think. We also had an Austin 1 tonner, which our OC's batman used from time to time. He used to delight in switching the ignition off and on again in this when passing delectable young Frauleins, and watching them jump and shriek at the cannon like report from the exhaust, accompanied by expletives that I could never find in the German vocabulary that I possessed (dumbkopf was the only one I recognised.)
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/1/2011, 21:02

Shelldrake wrote:
Brum, the only time that I came into contact with them was when we shared Trauen Camp in the mid 60s - I was with 42 at the time.

Yes, I was there then, you should've given me a shout ! .

In '65 we were posted from Colly (105 Pack Howitzers) to Muenster (bloody 25pdr/5.5s).

By that time Trauen had those tents to replace the tin huts. Oh, those oil heaters were fun !

Im trying to remember, was it 42 that smashed Schneverdingen up one time, when they were camped at Reinsehlen ?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 11:25

Brum, it would be around about Jul/Aug 1965, the Yanks were occupying part of the Camp about the same time. I did give you a shout but, you were a Bdr and I a Gnr, so you ignored me. I remember the Oil Heaters well, I also remember the Palliasses and the German Canteen where the furniture was screwed to the floor!! I do believe that it was 40 Regt who wrecked Schneverdingen they also destroyed the Gasthaus on the left hand side of the road just past Trauen Sidings. Bad boys. It is funny that you should remember the Oil Heaters for which, amongst my memorabilia I have the operating instructions, but don't ask me why, an extract is as follows:-

"Take absolute care of proper fitting of the flame bafflings rings in the burner pots. These will be put in as follows:

The lower flame bafflings ring having three leg pins will rest on these pins standing on the burner pot bottom.

The equal medium flame bafflings ring but having no leg pins will rest on three support pins to be found in the burned pot".

You get the picture, anyone from REME got any ideas? I remember that we poured in large quantities of Diesel and then the junior guy in the tent threw in a match - all seemed to work OK!! affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 11:43

Just as an afterthought to the above, we Exercised regularly throughout the 60s and 70s in Munsterlager Sud, being accommodated in the tents at Trauen. I had a break for about 5 years when I was in Colchester but, went back again to Trauen in 1982 to find that the Tents had once again been replaced by huts, which were quite "pleasant". I then returned in 1999 on a trip down memory lane to find that a purpose built brick Bundeswehr barracks, which was quite extensive as it incorporated Fassberg barracks, had replaced Trauen Camp. Happy days.
Back to top Go down
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 14:10

I've found the (rather fuzzy) photo with the jeep in it.
It would have been '57 as on the reverse is the photo processors stamp and which says Munster, so as that was my first posting over there (Buller Bks) after leaving Hamm (which I seem to remember was a dispersal camp) we certainly still had the jeep.
I'd forgotten that we took German (GSO) staff with us on that occasion, as will be seen in the bod with the fag in his mouth and German style forage cap.
I believe one of the projects that had to be accomplished was an engine change (of the Jeep) which was in the process of being prepared for in the picture.

"Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Jeeponsceme
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 15:36

I didn't realise the British Army had ever had half tracks. I'm impressed.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/1/2011, 02:34

Here I am in my 'personal weapon' .... SDS Jeep 1953 .. still had them when I left BAOR for Korea in 1954

Len (Ciphers)

Photobucket
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/1/2011, 09:32

Len, I'm pleased to say we have a link, albeit 20 years apart, I also served in 20 Bde, albeit as a clerk in HQ 20 mate. Smile no jeeps or even champs by then though.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/1/2011, 11:14

I can confirm that half tracks were still in use (certainly with 2 SCOTS GUARDS LAD) in the late 1960s as the LAD fitter vehicle with the Rifle Companies prior to issue of FV 434s. they had been modified with a folding fixed jib which swung out over the cab.

Other Munster based REME veterans may also recall the antics involved in organising a 432 pack change in the field

More to follow in due course
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/1/2011, 15:28

Jim, click on to my site below and you will see a bit about my time in 20 Armd Bde .. my best posting, if I could have stayed there I probably would have opted for the full 22 years as it was then ..

Len (Ciphers)

http://web.me.com/lenpayne/Site_10/My_Time_in_the_Royal_Signals.html
Back to top Go down
jerry
WOI
WOI
jerry

Number of posts : 186
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Dortmund/Hameln/ Malaya FARELF Marchwood Aldershot Yeovil
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/1/2011, 19:33

ciphers wrote:
Jim, click on to my site below and you will see a bit about my time in 20 Armd Bde .. my best posting, if I could have stayed there I probably would have opted for the full 22 years as it was then ..

Len (Ciphers)

http://web.me.com/lenpayne/Site_10/My_Time_in_the_Royal_Signals.html
Nice page Len quite informative I'd have a job remembering as much as that!!!
Jerry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/1/2011, 19:47

How many sites have you got Len?That`s not the link i have on my site.

Last edited by Gordon. on 11/1/2011, 23:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/1/2011, 20:21

'ummmm about three I think Gordon .. the first one I think you have was assembled and published by Chris Hayles, but I could not get into it to amend or add to it, so when I bought a Mac I made the one I posted today, then I have another at ...

http://web.me.com/lenpayne/Site/The_Life_of_Len.html

Len(Ciphers)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/1/2011, 23:05

It must be Chris`s version that i have..Ok if i add the other two??
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/1/2011, 09:53

That link looks good Len, I'm going to check that out today. What a memory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Driver Training" in BAOR   "Driver Training" in BAOR - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Driver Training" in BAOR
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next