BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 49 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 49 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.

Go down 
+41
BobG
KEITH DOWNES
brrowe
FR3924
BigJock
Shelldrake
Hardrations
Dolmetscher
Themaadone
brum
Rocky
steve
dandc
Mike_2817
alan8376
dupester
ciphers
cleat9214
Stephen Lock
fusilier
bob
burgess720
Brian (Berlin-Brian)
donald
jockaitken
cmac
Rag & Oil
alanwilton
steve1226
Wilf
Brian Roberts
Jean Cavanagh
Archie
Big_Mike
Windsor Boy
recymech
Paul
PaddyQ
mick cox
jim
allanj
45 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
allanj
Cpl
Cpl
allanj

Number of posts : 17
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Osnabruck, SEME, Hong Kong, Hohne
Registration date : 2007-10-17

Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Empty
PostSubject: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime5/1/2008, 23:38

It looks like all units will be out of Osnabruck by december 2008.
Here is a link to a letter to parents in Osnabruck giving details of school closing down dates and contains info. when and where units are moving. Most are going to UK with the exception of The QDG, who were due to go to Sennelager in "Late 2007" Sad

http://www.scemarlboroughfirst.ik.org/attachments/Schools%20closure%20letter%20to%20parents_2.doc
Back to top Go down
JT

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime22/1/2008, 23:51

Shame that it's all closing down. When you see what's left in Germany (posting wise) in comparison with the amount of locations listed on this site, it's sort of sad that all good things have to come to an end. I would imagine that we'll be out completely in the next 10 - 15 years. Some of the younger serving lads who are out doing the fighting would have loved what was the old BAOR. I did, every bloody minute of it. I wasn't too keen on Oznatraz,but it had its moments.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime24/1/2008, 10:53

What are the germans doing with all the old MQ's I wonder. I mean it's not just Osnabruck that's closing is it?

My mum and dad had a lovely MQ in Kleine Moscow
Back to top Go down
mick cox
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Cap Badge : royal signals
Places Served : quebec barracks
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime27/4/2008, 12:01

its a shame how politicians soon forget how much the country NEEDS to keep barracks alive and garrison towns!!
they may rue the day they closed them all..

i had a great time in quebec barracks in 212 sig sqn. and remember the days with fondness........
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime28/4/2008, 15:30

My Dad was stationed in Quebec Bks with the Lancashire Fusiliers, late 50's I think Mick
Back to top Go down
PaddyQ
Sgt
Sgt
PaddyQ

Number of posts : 25
Cap Badge : R Innisk Fus / RAOC
Places Served : M Gladbach. Fallingbostel. Osnabruck
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime17/5/2008, 17:07

Yes it's sad that Osnabruck is being demilitarised.
I spent a very happy 3 years there, 1962 - 65.
I found that the local people were very welcoming and tolerant to the ways of the British Soldier and I made a lot of friends there.
What a different Army we served in with the old BAOR.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Osnabruck   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime18/5/2008, 10:35

Jim, Mick,

Can you put dates to the time you spent in Osnabruck?

Philip has The Lancashire Fusiliers as being in Quebec Barracks 1960 to 1964.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime19/5/2008, 14:18

Checked with my Mum Paul, 60 - 64 sounds about right she says, not late '50's as I thought
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Number of posts : 81
Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime24/6/2008, 21:04

Such a shame Osnabrucks closing down, I've spent 4 1/2 years here and don't want to leave, my kids go to school at Marlborough School which is fantastic.

It'll be a very sad day when the camps are empty and handed back to the Germans.
Back to top Go down
Windsor Boy
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 33
Cap Badge : RE Padsbrat
Places Served : Hohne, Sennelager, Iserlohn, Osnabrück, Hamm and Cyprus
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime25/6/2008, 21:00

Does anyone know when it finally closes and if there will be a marching out parade?

My father was stationed at Roberts Barracks 1974-77.
Back to top Go down
Big_Mike
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Big_Mike

Number of posts : 43
Cap Badge : Royal Fusiliers, rejoined RE
Places Served : BAOR, UK, HK, Cyprus, NI
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime27/6/2008, 12:02

What a sad event, after all these years. I spent from about May 1962 to I think Sept 1966 with 1Bn Royal Fusiliers in Belfast Bks, Sedan Str. I got married and lived in a MQ at Gerhart-Hauptmann-Hof. I bought my first car, a Renault R8 Major from the garage on the corner of Sedan Str and Natruper Str. I think back to those days with fond memory's.

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.set-bit.de/start
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Number of posts : 81
Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime28/7/2008, 19:23

I think all the units will have moved out by Xmas (we'll have moved out of Roberts Barracks by November) but there will be the envitable few that will remain to hand the camps over to the Germans. I over heard a conversation the other day, apparently it'll take a couple of years for all the legalities to be sorted before the camps are fully handed back, but I don't know how accurate that is.
Back to top Go down
Archie
Sgt
Sgt
Archie

Number of posts : 25
Places Served : Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn (twice), Gütersloh (thrice!), Belize, Canada, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime4/8/2008, 00:08

recymech,
Question: Did you play any part in the parade that took place recently - I understand it was a farewell to us Brits from the Germans...
My (German) mother-in-law (God! What a combination Sad - yes, I know) went, and she told me there were many tears as they played "Time to say goodbye". Knowing ze Germans they will not have been nostaligic tears - rather tears of sorrow as the city's economy will suffer Surprised
I'd be interested to hear how it went from a squaddies point of view. I would have gone myself, but alas I was in Ludgershall training for Afghan (!!!! - work that one out).
'ta,
Archie
Back to top Go down
Jean Cavanagh
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 9
Cap Badge : Dad - RASC RCT Husband - RAC 4/7 RDG (Ex Husband 1st Bn Royal Scots)
Places Served : Dad-Chester, Brecon, Chepstow, Osnabruck, Husband - Tidworth
Registration date : 2008-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime5/8/2008, 09:31

I lived in Osnabruck from 60-71 and have some wonderful memories. Father was with RASC(RCT), Scarborough Bks. Met and married my ex hubby he was 1st Royal Scots. Went to Windsor Girls in Hamm (1965-1968)Worked as Regtl Typist for various units 9/12RL, 1RTR,(Imphal) Engr Regt (Roberts). My name is Jean Cavanagh (nee Cooke). My father Cpl Jack Cooke (Sgt on leaving)did a lot of social work in Osnabruck in the early 60s. He was a Bingo Caller, and run a lot of social evenings,Teenage Dances on Monday Nights which i used to go to. Whist Drives etc.I have a sis Linda. We lived in 15 Kastanienstrasse Dodesheide, and i attended the little school there. Then on to Lancaster in Blumenhalleweg. I loved Osnabruck and was sad to leave on posting to Tidworth.Still here now.Remmarried to Terry, who sadly passed in Jan this year he was 4/7 RDG, 4 children and 4 granddchildren. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers any of me or mine. Only found this site this morning as I couldnt sleep.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

PostSubject: Welcome to the Forum   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime5/8/2008, 09:46

Welcome to the Forum Jean.

We hope you enjoy your visits here, and come back many times.

I take it you have looked at the main site, especially the locations pages. Anything you could add will be most welcome.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Osnabruck Closure   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime10/8/2008, 11:47

Take a look at this site:-

http://www2.army.mod.uk/osnabruck_garrison/community_information/key_drawdown_dates.htm

It gives a final handover as March 2009.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Brian Roberts
Sgt
Sgt
Brian Roberts

Number of posts : 29
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : BAOR, Norway NI Belize ,Malaya, Hong kong ,BOBC Norway, Nuneton , Taunton , Woolwich ,Tidworth,, Worthy Down, Aldershot
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime19/10/2008, 18:17

I regret haveing just returned from a reunion trip to the TRaz that most of it is now left to rot ,the MRS is fenced off unsafe, my old unit 2ADFA is over grown with weeds some of the blocks are waiting to be knocked down as unsafe.
The only place standing and still going strong is Jim Blakes sneli in Dodesheide where I had my Quarter for 8 years, happy days then but not now.
The garrison is officaly closed now but some units still in place for the hand over of Barracks.

Brian R exRAMC
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime23/10/2008, 15:03

This is indeed sad news. It has to be said the Traz wasn't my fave posting (I was att to 23 Engr Regt Quebec Bks 89 - 92) but I never thought I'd see the day the garrison was closed. I remember in the early 1990's when Tom King the Tory defence secretary announced "Options for Change" (what a cock up that was, but thats another thread) the locals were concerened about the garrison being reduced in size, top brass went out of their way to reasure the stadt that garrison Traz was safe and there to stay!

First time I ever went to the Traz was in the early 1980's, me & a mate drove down from Soltau to see our kid who was stationed at 12 Armd Wksp. Quebec Bks was the first camp we came across so I approached the guardroom and asked for directions to 12 Armd Wksp. It was a Scottish Regt in residence (KOSB if memory serves) anyhow, I couldn't understand a bloody word they said! The Provo Sgt was the sort of chap who looked (and sounded) like he ate babies, he was pointing out the route I should take on a large map on the wall while grunting in some jockenese dialect. I got back in the car and my mate said right where too? I said ***k knows, just drive!

We eventually found the right camp, our kid had previously told me to ask for directions at the Duke of Edinburgh's guard room, which I did. I walked in and asked the Provo Sgt if this was the Derrs camp! I wondered why he looked at me as if he was about to run me through with a bayonet! Outside the guard room my mate hissed at me that you dont ask the Provo Sgt of the Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment if he's a bloody Derr!

It wasn't a good day as far as Provo Sgts go, but I did eventually find our kid Smile
Back to top Go down
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 47
Places Served : Osnabruck, Plymouth, Hemer, Menden. @ tours NI, 1969 and 1970
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Osnabruck closing down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime18/11/2008, 21:56

So sorry to hear about the closure of the garrison. I served in mercer barracks from 1965 to 1968. First with the Queens own Highlanders and then with .1 Royal Scots. I was with the REME LAD which stayed in the camp regardless of which infantry regiments came and went. I had a great time while there and wondered if anyone remembers the Schloss garten where they used to hold tea time dances on Sundays for the teenagers. Great times were had and where I met my German girlfriend. We also used to frequent a place called the Milk Bar, which didnt serve milk! I watched the 1966 world cup there. I also remember a pub in Dodeshiede ,opposite the cinema ,run by a really nice German guy whos name escapes me but he was football mad and managed Tus Haste who were a local team then. He did a fantastic vanishing act during the world cup in 66, even fooling his wife. I suppose Osnabruck is where I grew up as I was only 18 at the time and fresh from Army Apprentice collage at Carlisle (intake 62B). I also served in Hemer/ Menden. I am still very fond of Germany and spend a fair amount of time there with work.
The one thing that is different now is the exchange rate. Yes I know it is now euros but when I went to Osnabruck we were getting 11DM to the pound!!!!! Hope you find this interesting and if I can help in any way please get in touch.
Yours

Steve Dawson ex REME
Back to top Go down
alanwilton
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Cap Badge : RASC & RCT
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime3/12/2008, 11:36

i served in 122 Tipper Coy RASC which then changed 15 Sqn RCT in Scarbourough Barracks 1964-9. had a great time and asked for an extension to my posting which was granted, hence the 5 years. i would love to hear from anyone who served or lived there during these dates. i note that a Jean Cavanagh said that her dad, and she, was there during this period but i don't know how to contact her can anyone hepl?[img]
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime3/12/2008, 18:43

alanwilton wrote:
i served in 122 Tipper Coy RASC which then changed 15 Sqn RCT in Scarbourough Barracks 1964-9. had a great time and asked for an extension to my posting which was granted, hence the 5 years. i would love to hear from anyone who served or lived there during these dates. i note that a Jean Cavanagh said that her dad, and she, was there during this period but i don't know how to contact her can anyone hepl?[img]

Alan,

Welcome to the Forum, I hope you enjoy your visits to it. any information or photographs you may have will be most welcome

I will send you a PM as to trying to contact Jean.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Rag & Oil
Private
Private
Rag & Oil

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime29/1/2009, 19:28

Hi all,

Just found this site, great place by the way. Yes it was a shame Osnabruck Garrison closing, but im proud to say i was one of the last out of Roberts Bks as it was handed over on the 18th Dec 2008. Now back in the Uk........
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime29/1/2009, 19:33

Rag & Oil wrote:
Hi all,

Just found this site, great place by the way. Yes it was a shame Osnabruck Garrison closing, but im proud to say i was one of the last out of Roberts Bks as it was handed over on the 18th Dec 2008. Now back in the Uk........

I have just sent you a PM.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime30/1/2009, 11:37

OOh another Rag & oil, Hi.

Shame about Osnabruck, I have many happy memories of the place from when I was a Kid.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime30/1/2009, 17:19

Rag & Oil wrote:
Hi all,

Rag & Oil,

Your comment is now on the Roberts Barracks page on the main site.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.   Osnabruck Garrison closing Down. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Osnabruck Garrison closing Down.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next