BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 47 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 47 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Would You Join the Army again?

Go down 
+28
JPW
steve jones
recce83
Rocky
lab1950
Eric England
cartav
Dulaigh
BobG
Les Pattenden
steve
ChrisP
KEITH DOWNES
nails
623TACP
Hardrations
Daveb
brrowe
Wilf
"john boy"
gingerjim
EricTheTurk
brum
rucjock21
Shelldrake
pinky
ciphers
unclevanya
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/2/2013, 23:13

On wheels......
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/2/2013, 12:16

I bet Annual Classification was a riot !
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/2/2013, 23:56

Re-joning the Army if you were young again. What about if the EU (aka Eurine Land) had an Army of its own, and you were a young lad nowadays. Would you care to join an Army which was peopled by Brits, with Frenchmen (& women) as Senior NCOs, and all the Hofficers Germans....??? bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/2/2013, 11:18

Could have been just that if the Germans had won the war...
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/2/2013, 11:21

We've already got that, it's called The French Foreign Legion.
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/2/2013, 18:57

NO!
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/2/2013, 22:34

Never mind that. . . . would you go back to the job you had when you retired ?

I was a paramedic, go back to all that crap ? NO, NON, NEIN, NIET, NADA, NIENTE, not on your 'kin life pal !

Embedded in my latest posting, Armchair General, Rose Tinted Spectacles firmly in place !
Back to top Go down
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Number of posts : 473
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Aldershot, Marchwood, Longmoor, Dusseldorf,Munster,Ratingen,Longmoor
Registration date : 2011-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime10/2/2013, 01:15

Yes most definitely

I enjoyed every minute, learned an awful lot and met many great guys (not so many girls in my day) but we did have some good times

Bring it on

Les
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime10/2/2013, 11:42

brum wrote:

Never mind that. . . . would you go back to the job you had when you retired ?

I was a paramedic, go back to all that crap ? NO, NON, NEIN, NIET, NADA, NIENTE, not on your 'kin life pal !

Embedded in my latest posting, Armchair General, Rose Tinted Spectacles firmly in place !

No, nor me. Being a Barracky Bill part of my uniform was a Tin Hat and a Flak Jacket.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime15/2/2013, 17:12

It's just occurred to me that if we did join the Army again they would have to publish Regimental/Battery/Company/Squadron Orders in large print! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Number of posts : 279
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime15/2/2013, 17:20

Do they do meals on wheels deliveries nooadays? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime15/2/2013, 17:30

Probably Tam, but you would have to put you name down with the Dining Room Orderly.
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime15/2/2013, 18:23

The way I'm feeling Brian they would have to wheel me in for meals.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime15/2/2013, 23:00

The big question is,,,,Would they have us back??
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime16/2/2013, 11:22

Looking at the news lately,the TA will be called Reservists and the TA dropped.Now I am sceptical as to where this government are coming from on this change.Firstly,employers letting their workforce go off as part of their commitment as a reservist for nine months to a year.Do you honestly think that they will hold the job open to that reservist on his/her return will walk straight back into their jobs and continue where they left off.

I can never work out why anyone would want to be a reservist in the first place.I know in the past conflicts Borneo/Aden/Cyprus/and Northern Ireland some TA guys were used to some good to boost the number of those units that were undermanned.Now that they have made it possible for one unit to top other units for ops. In effect when you join up, you are not joining a particular regiment or battalion as in Scotland, you join the Royal Regiment of Scotland and will be posted to individual battalions that are undermanned. You do not get a choice.Similar to units in England,Wales, and NI.Reservists will be used to support the regular units as and when necessary.

Those weekend soldiers who do the job as a hobby similar to special constables known a hobby bobbies, will now be used in places like Afghanistan in the future but at a reduced cost to the MOD in that no pensions will be paid as they are not full timers. plus wages will be reduced.And I am sorry to say that penny pinching by the MOD,the days of getting a war pension for injuries etc sustained in service will be a couple of hundred quid in compo and that's it.

Defence on the cheap is the order of the day.They can call on the reservists of the day from their own civvy jobs again they will get paid for turning up and take those people from jobs with absolutely no protection or likelihood of getting their civvy jobs back.Just my opinion folks as I simply do not trust what politicians say with regards to job protection.Employers will just make the job redundant and get rid of that employee.Here endeth the lesson. Sleep drunken Sleep drunken Sleep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime16/2/2013, 11:26

Amen
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime16/2/2013, 18:23

Jock I think you will find that large numbers of TA have been used for a considerable time in Iraq and Afghanistan. The medical services in particular would be non operational without them, my own Corps, REME, has used a large number of them to make up gaps in deployed strength. As to their jobs, they are protected and yes they can walk straight back into them, I also believe they are paid at full regular rates when deployed.

BobG
Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 135
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick Newark Aldershot 201Shorncliffe WinterbourneGunner TOS SHARJAH Bunde 249 Singapore NE Thailand Aldershot Catterick
Registration date : 2012-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime16/2/2013, 19:12

Jock you got it spot on there. The pensions and compo for injuries or death will be zeroed. Had you been an Ossifer such a suggestion would have earned you promotion and ,possibly, a Bauble.
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/2/2013, 02:39

Please don't get me wrong folks.I am not attacking the TA/Reservists one bit.But if they want to do their wee bit, then sign up to the regular army/navy/air force and not pander to the government and MOD by offering your services on a part time basis.By doing what you are doing you giving the MOD an answer to their prayers in that they get the blokes etc to do the job but not committed to a term of say 3,6,9/22 years with the colours.Defence on the cheap without the large costs in maintaining personnel for years and years.Yes they are paid the same as the regular guys but only for a short time as they go home and hopefully go back to their previous jobs if they are still there.Paid only when they turn up to fight their dirty wars for them.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/2/2013, 03:36

A lot of them (me) did sign up, did their (my) term and joined the TA after time expired and like them (me) did not want to drag (their) my wife and family around married pads for 'x' number of years, too many marriages came to grief that way.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/2/2013, 03:50

Yes Len.Moving families around the world tends to break up marriages.I believe that they are posting the units for longer these days in one place in order to help families.
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/2/2013, 04:01

The government have had this in mind for years. A part time army is a lot cheaper than a professional army, which is good for politicians and bad for the army. We exercised with the German, Dutch and Danish armies and they had some good kit but unfortunately what they lacked was enthusiasm for the job. Some with long hair preferred a hairnet to the barber! and come friday it was weapons down and home for the weekend, they didn't have to soldier at weekends. They were perpetually scruffy and quite obviously didn't want to be there, and to be honest who can blame them? they were conscripts who were forced into it. Any government can force young men to join the army, no government can force young men to be good soldiers. I know the TA are not conscripts and there are some good TA soldiers but as ex CGS General Sir Mike Jackson (who in my opinion usually tended to agree with politicians) said, relying so heavily on the TA is 'optomistic'.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/2/2013, 05:03

Found this among my collection .. was in vogue in the early '60's .. seems apropos to the current thread

Len (Ciphers)

THE "BARMY" ARMY

by Sgt R.J. Watts 43 (Wessex) Signals Regt (T.A.)

There is a voluntary band of men who, some may think, are Barmy,
Playing soldiers, people say -- The Territorial Army.
There's Gunners, Drivers, Signalmen, Clerks and Storemen too,
Just plain ordinary working chaps, the same as me and you.
But should the balloon go up one day, and should the "call" be heard
How many people then would think, of giving them the bird.
It's happened once before you see, in nineteen thirty nine,
And then the "laughing stock" that was, became the "thin red line".
From Dunkirk on to Alamein and once more, back to France
You'd see the T.A. member whichever way you'd glance.
And now, in peace, it still goes on
Their daughters and their sons
All prepared to do a job, (But also having fun).
So should you see a chap (or chick) in ancient uniform,
Don't sneer or scoff or take the mick
The don't deserve your scorn.
But rather, just remember, what they are trying to do,
'Cos they're prepared to do their bit, I wonder now! Are you ??.
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/2/2013, 19:38

really looking at the subject , i dont think i could stand the orrible muck that was put in front of us in the acc cookhouses ever again , i only ever had one good meal in my time and that was at a raf base eindhoven , real cooking that was put our acc bods to shame , ginger
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/2/2013, 22:23

I remember in Plymouth Seaton Bks cookhouse when one of the Jocks called one of the ACC cooks "a c**t".He went off and reported it to his cook sgt who duly came out and shouted out to all and sundry, who called this cook "a c**t".A quick reply came from one of the quick witted Jocks, who called this "c**t" a cook! the roars of laughter was deafening. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would You Join the Army again?   Would You Join the Army again? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would You Join the Army again?
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next