BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
BMH Berlin Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 80 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 80 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

BMH Berlin

Go down 
+2
Paul
Fred Macey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Macey
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-26

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime26/1/2009, 10:57

I was born in the BMH in Berlin in 1948. My dad was in the 11th Hussars and my mum was a member of the NAAFI. I have never returned to Germany and would like to this year. I would like to find where the original BMH was and where dad and mum were stationed in Berlin. We then moved on to either Oldenberg or Osnabruk where my sister was born, before returning to Barnard Castle in 1950(?). Both my parents are now dead so I cannot get any info from them. I believe the hospital stood near the prison which was destroyed when Hess died, i think in '87 and I don't know if the hospital met the same fate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Fred
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime26/1/2009, 12:25

Fred,

Firstly, let me welcome you to the Forum. Thank you for joining us.

If you have any memories of your time in Germany, or old photographs, etc., that you would be willing to allow to be published, please let me know. You can let me know either through this thread, or via a Personal Message.

Now, down to your query.

BMH Berlin (as was) is still there. It is still in use as a Hospital, called now Paulinen Krankenhaus. It is bounded by Heerstrasse, Ragniter Allee, Passenheimer Strasse, and Dickensweg.

The prison had Smuts Barracks to the south, and Brook Barracks to the north, with Wavell Barracks north again. BMH Berlin was actually about 4km east of Spandau. The prison was indeed demolished, and the area now seems to be industrial.commercial.

The 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own), an Armoured Regiment, are recorded as being in Delmemhorst, near Bremen from April 1947 to Feb 1948 when they moved to Qsnabruck. A Squadron of the Regiment was in Smuts Barracks from Jan 1948 until May 1949.

If you look at the link below, it is a photograph of BMH as it is now.

http://baor-locations.com/bmhberlin.aspx

I hope this helps.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Fred Macey
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-01-26

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime27/1/2009, 12:37

Thank you Paul for your help. Mum often spoke of Delmenhorst, but I often got confused between Osnabruk and Oldenberg, one of which was were my late sister was born, (obviously Osnabruk). I will certainly check with the family if there are any photos etc, but a lot of stuff got destroyed when first Dad died in 1969 and then Mum in 2000. Dad didn't talk much about his time in Germany but he often talked of his time in the desert with the Rolls Royce armoured cars they had then and about Egypt and Palestine, of which I remember lots of tiny photos.
Thanks again
Fred Macey
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime27/1/2009, 12:47

Only too glad to be able to help.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
janeella
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-11-28

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime28/11/2009, 09:03

I lived in Berlin from 1965-1968, and I think you will find that there was a BMH prior to the one at Dickensweg-this was in Spandau, and I think it was on Radelin Strasse. I lived in Kisseln Allee, and the BMH was next to this. The BMH at Dickensweg opened while we lived ther - not sure exactly when, but I do remember this, and the existing BMH while locked up, to begin with was not completely secure and as children we used to go inside there- very creepy too, all empty.

Hope this helps. Jane
Back to top Go down
Brian (Berlin-Brian)
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Brian (Berlin-Brian)

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-04-02

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime28/11/2009, 09:38

Hi All

I was born in Berlin 1959,so by the looks of it i was born at the old BMH ???

Here is my Birth Certificate

BMH Berlin Bild253
Back to top Go down
janeella
Private
Private

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime28/11/2009, 10:54

I would think so . The BMH at Radelandsstrasse (just checked the address) was a very old building. I remember when the new one was being built because we originally lived in Dickensweg and later on moved to Kisseln Allee and the bus to the NAAFI went through Dickensweg. Ihave just googled the address and it looks like the old building is still standing. There are four rows of flats, in Kisseln Allee, which is where we lved, and this all looks the same and the old building can be seen right next to these. Have looked at the link to the BMH Paul has supplied and this is definitely the new building.

Jane
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime28/11/2009, 11:28

janeella wrote:
I would think so . The BMH at Radelandsstrasse (just checked the address) was a very old building. I remember when the new one was being built because we originally lived in Dickensweg and later on moved to Kisseln Allee and the bus to the NAAFI went through Dickensweg. Ihave just googled the address and it looks like the old building is still standing. There are four rows of flats, in Kisseln Allee, which is where we lved, and this all looks the same and the old building can be seen right next to these. Have looked at the link to the BMH Paul has supplied and this is definitely the new building.

Jane

I don't suppose you have any photographs, of any of your time in BAOR?

Paul.
Back to top Go down
janeella
Private
Private

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime28/11/2009, 11:38

Unfortunately, not. My parents would have had any that were taken from our time there, but I have lots of memories of our three years there. I attended school firstly at BFES Charlottenburg and later at BFES Gatow.

Went on a school trip to Harz Mountains, so had a trip on the train!! Lots of happy times, even if it was a little different living there then.

I remember a Soviet spy plane crashing into the Havell, 'exercise rocking horse',the school at Gatow with the cellars which went for miles.

Sorry about the pictures. Jane
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime28/11/2009, 11:48

janeella wrote:
.......... I remember a Soviet spy plane crashing into the Havell, 'exercise rocking horse',the school at Gatow with the cellars which went for miles.

Sorry about the pictures. Jane

Never fret about the pictures, just my standard question Very Happy

Have you had a look at http://baor-locations.com/havelsee.aspx

There are two links at the bottom of the page regarding Havelsee.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
janeella
Private
Private

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime28/11/2009, 12:01

Thanks for that -very interesting. My father was RAOC at Alexander Barracks. Jane
Back to top Go down

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime13/8/2011, 19:36

I was never stationed in Berlin, but stayed many a weekend in the underground hospital which was beneath the BMH. It was a full functioning hospital.

I was in the RAMC from 1962 to 1981 after transferring over from the Royal Artillery. I played hockey and we would play against the other RAMC units in Germany in a knock out.

Great times.

Silky
Back to top Go down
oldman1952
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 5
Cap Badge : RCT then RAMC
Places Served : JTR Rhyl, 4Div RCT Duisburg, 29 Field Ambulance Obernkirchen, Canada, Northern Ireland, Berlin, Cyprus, 1 Medical Group Donnington
Registration date : 2013-10-29

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime29/10/2013, 22:03

Hi everyone, I am sorry but I never knew about this site until today. I was posted with my heavily pregnant wife to BMH Berlin in January 1976 and stayed at Edinburgh House until our married quarters were ready to march into. My daughter was born on 5th February in the maternity ward. I remember it well because I was very hands on with her birth. I had to give my wife an injection as the midwife gave my wife an episiotomy. I then had to rescus and weigh her. Do anyone remember exercise "Rocking Horse" RMP's would come around the married quarters sirens blazing. We had 20 minutes to get to the underground hospital.
I worked in reception and casualty as a (CMT) Combat Medical Technician. Reception staff had paramedical duties and if there was a call out we had to respond.
Mr Hess was a regular visitor to the first floor as his health by that time had started to deteriorate. It was a great time trying to find the berlin wall. I also remember we went over to the East Berlin in uniform barrack dress in the day and No 2's in the evening. We changed our money at the local bank and got 5 east marks to 1 west mark. We always went to the same restaurant called the Moravier. We lived like kings and always bought every one in the restaurant a bottle of wine as a friendship gesture.
Driving down the corridor to Helmstat - ie Check point Bravo to Alpha was a great thing to do. If you were there in 1976 to 1978 do you remember the fire alarm check? The person on the end of the microphone was probably me. Until next time Bye for now
Back to top Go down
pentaxpete
Sgt
Sgt
pentaxpete

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Millbank RAMC College, Royal Herbert Hosp Woolwich, BMH Munster, BMH Berlin, BMH Iserlohn
Registration date : 2017-01-17

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime26/1/2017, 14:05

I have put some photos of my time in BMH Berlin in a post ABOVE -- but here are a few more taken about 1957 before i was sent to BMH Iserlohn -- I had a Contax IIIand a British Ensign Selfix camera and did my own prints in a darkroom in the Red Shield Club opposite the Jerboa Cinema in what was ' Adoph Hiltlerplatz' but was 'renamed' for some reason ---  I went to the Russian Sector Memorial Gardens on an organised coach trip with East German guide so had to be very careful about taking photos ---
BMH Berlin 32248233541_f4f13dd41a_zKurfurstendam 1957 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
BMH Berlin 15597498707_df5a909309_zBerlin 07 : Russian Sector by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
BMH Berlin 15758972776_88493d41d8_zBerlin 12 : Russian Sector by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
BMH Berlin 3084386423_dae75b343bBerlin 5 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
BMH Berlin 3085223796_a2254e8bc2Berlin 1 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BMH Berlin Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMH Berlin   BMH Berlin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BMH Berlin
Page 1 of 1