BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 42 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 42 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Churchill Barracks Lippstadt

Go down 
+8
Wally 5315
lindah
Advent
BigJock
dagian
Ian Smudge Smith
Stephen Lock
shelagh
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shelagh
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 5
Cap Badge : Coldstream Guards/Signals
Places Served : Windsor.London/Pirbright/Caterham/Lincoln/Newark/Lippstadt/Berlin/catterick
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Empty
PostSubject: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime30/6/2009, 13:48

We lived in Lippstadt from 1958/1964 my husband was stationed at Churchill Bks. and we use to go up to camp two or three times a week to the NAAFI or to the Cpls.and later Sgts.mess. There use to be a cafe where we could get a cup of tea I think it could have been run by the Red Shield club. and a paper shop where you could get newspapers and magizines.Also the Army Medical officers had a clinic up there I remember the German Army barber and our Padre Major Friend.I worked for him for a short time. He had one blue eye and one brown.My children were baptised by him in St Barbara's garrison church. I also remember the large water tank in the camp where somtimes the lads use to swim.How I envied them in the hot summers. I remember that at some time we had Gurkha's stationed with us. They use to keep very much to themselves. The children use to go to the Army school by the Army bus everyday that use to call at all the married quarters.and had a army guard sitting in the front armed with a pick handle.My son was reported for shouting out of the open window he was five. and my husband was called into his C.O.s office and repremanded. He never did it again.How we need that nowadays. Our kids played with the german children and could speak perfect german. In about 1960 we were picked to represent the Cpls and wives when we had a visit from our Colonel and Chief the Princess Royal. We had to dress up and wear gloves and hats and were presented in the Officers Mess.She also visited the school and our daughter was prsented but only because her best friend was the Colonels son. We shopped in Lippstadt town and once a month went to the Canadian Maple Leaf store to shop which was a reverlation compared to our Naffi.also once a month we went to Neuhouse Naffi which was a grade one Naffi you could get anything there. Happy Happy times we had in Lippstadt I cried when we were told we were going to Catterick.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime30/6/2009, 21:26

Shelagh, many of your memories of Lippstadt are similar to my memories growing up as a Canadian "Army brat."

We, too, were bussed on Army buses to and from school. Many of our families lived out in various small villages and towns around Hemer or Werl or Soest and I realize now it must have been a major logistical issue to organize the daily pick-up of young kids ranging in age from 6 to 18. Clearly, HQ knew where every single Canadian family was...not something I gave much thought to back then, certainly not during our first tour circa 1959-62 but not much during 2nd tour (69-72) either. Such things just "were."

But I do recall each bus, and there would be several, was assigned a young corporal to be the "bus monitor." Again, looking back, I have no doubt many of these young men, some barely 20 years old if that, loathed being assigned such duty but I suppose it was better than many other duties they could have been assigned! (KP springs to mind)

He would always be turned out in battle dress (?), putties and boots and after reading your post I do now seem to recall some, at least, carrying a little 'swagger stick.' Never saw it used on anyone LOL, as tempting as that no doubt was.

I quite agree with you about the difference in discipline between then and now. We too were very conscious our behaviour in public would reflect on our fathers and no doubt if one of us acted up or some-such on the bus, it would be reported to the CO and our dads would be called up on the carpet over it. If so, there'd be hell to pay when he got home!

Of course, some of us were little hellers anyway. Not me, of course. Seriously. :-)

The cafe where you were able to get a cuppa was almost certainly run by the Red Shield/Sally Ann. They had a monopoly LOL

Interesting you found our MLS a "revelation" after your NAAFI. We used to visit the NAAFI and while we were struck by the differences in availability and level of stock, found the NAAFI fairly okay in many ways. I'm not sure about the pricing differences, if any, but I suspect MLS was probably a tad cheaper.

I actually bought my first stereo at the Soest NAAFI while I was back there working in 1973. Of course, I wasn't supposed to, not being a dependent anymore, but they didn't know that! It was a Kenwood. A nightmare to ship back to Canada, but then when I bought it my plan was to NOT return to Canada but to stay on in Germany; that didn't quite work out, sad to say.

I absolutely empathize with you crying when your tour was over.

When we left Germany in 1972 to return to Canada, I was 18 and didn't want to leave. Canada wasn't home, Soest and Germany were.

By then the Canadians had transferred everything and everybody, except for my family, down to Lahr in the Black Forest Region. My dad remained in the old Brigade Area to complete the Close-out and transfer stuff to BAOR. In order to get an Army flight back to Canada we had to get ourselves from Iserlohn (where we were then living) down to Lahr.

I spent the weekend prior to our leaving up in Soest with my best buddy to say goodbye.

When we got to Lahr and were staying in the army hotel on base, we got word from front desk that Juergen, my buddy, was asking for us at the desk. He had hitch-hiked down from Soest to Lahr (approx. 500km).

We spent the next couple of days checking out the gasthofs in Lahr and then it was time to board the plane and fly off across the Atlantic. Juergen refused to leave, despite my dad arranging a ride back up to Soest for him.

I will always remember seeing Juergen standing on the tarmac as the plane lifted off and remaining there, getting smaller and smaller, as we ascended until I could no longer see him.

I think I cried all the way across the Atlantic leaving everything I grew to identify with, love, and know behind...I couldn't get back to Germany fast enough! (took me a year and some, but I got back).
Back to top Go down
shelagh
LCpl
LCpl

Cap Badge : Coldstream Guards/Signals
Places Served : Windsor.London/Pirbright/Caterham/Lincoln/Newark/Lippstadt/Berlin/catterick
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/7/2009, 11:03

Stephen. I really enjoyed your memories of Isherlohn and Churchill Bks. It brought it all back to me, and how happy we were then.I have been back a couple of times but never Lippstadt or Isherlohn We went back to Berlin and of course Spandau where we were stationed ihas all changed no Hess and no Castle. We went to the Mohne Damm and I remembered hot days paddling in the Dam and all the campers who use to camp there. and the shops on the Damm itself nothing there now.But its still so beautiful. We went to Kohn at christmas and all the christmas markets. and the smells and christmas lights brought all the old memories back. How I miss it all. I am going to make a effect to go back to Lippstadt this year or next though I dont think our married quarters or the strasse exists anymore(Lessing) Its lovely to read all of your and other members memories and go back forty years to another world and another time.
Back to top Go down
Ian Smudge Smith
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Cap Badge : ROYAL ARTILLERY
Places Served : Lippstadt (twice) Sennelager, Osnabruck, Larkhill
Registration date : 2008-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime5/7/2009, 11:00

Hello Shelagh

I read with great interest your posts on Lippstadt, I to have posts concerning Lippstadt which you may have read on this forum.. I visit Lippstadt every year in October for the Herbstwoche. As for Lessing Stasse I lived at number 53 and the area is still the same.

If you do intend to visit Lippstadt which really has not changed that much and go in October you need to book early as besides all the Germans there are alwyas loads of ex soldiers that go back each year at this time.

Kind Regardsd

Ian
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime5/7/2009, 21:19

shelagh wrote:
Stephen. I really enjoyed your memories of Isherlohn and Churchill Bks. It brought it all back to me, and how happy we were then.I have been back a couple of times but never Lippstadt or Isherlohn We went back to Berlin and of course Spandau where we were stationed ihas all changed no Hess and no Castle. We went to the Mohne Damm and I remembered hot days paddling in the Dam and all the campers who use to camp there. and the shops on the Damm itself nothing there now.

Clearly, many things change over a 40 year period but I must say I was somewhat surprised the various kiosks and vendors on the Dam are no longer.

While most of the merchandise was pure kitsch and cheap tourist junk (some actually had "Made in Germany" on it, but a lot had "Made in Taiwan/Japan" on it too), it was all so much a part of the experience of visiting such sites that hearing they are gone is rather sad.

I also remember such kiosks selling those heart-shaped, dark-bread that had a distinctive taste of sweet/bitter to them. Cotton candy. Bratwurst (of course!) and the aroma all the kiosks had...

shelagh wrote:
But its still so beautiful. We went to Kohn at christmas and all the christmas markets. and the smells and christmas lights brought all the old memories back. How I miss it all.

As do I! I envy you being in Koln/Cologne at Christmas...beautiful city. We visited the Cathedral there often and were always struck by the over-riding sense of peace and calm and something intangible we experienced leaving the noise and hustle and bustle of the Dom Platz and entering inside. It really was like stepping back in time and had a profound effect on my parents and I.

shelagh wrote:
I am going to make a effect to go back to Lippstadt this year or next though I dont think our married quarters or the strasse exists anymore(Lessing) Its lovely to read all of your and other members memories and go back forty years to another world and another time.

Oh, do! It is so much easier to get there from UK than it is from Canada. I've wanted to get back ever since I last left the country in 1974 and...well, life just got in the way, as it tends to do!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 15:39

hello. im looking for someone . but i have no idea where to start. i know he was in churchill barracks but i dont know his age or his unit.

his name is stuart gumm.

what can i do or who can i ask???

pls help me
Back to top Go down
dagian
Sgt
Sgt
dagian

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : UK (Nuneaton/Barnard Castle/Larkhill/Bulford), Germany (Gutersloh/Lubbecke).Then worked as Civvy for Army.
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 17:42

Hi Mary,

You have not given much to work on.
Whilst you may not know his age, perhaps your age may give us a clue. Also do you have a copy of your Birth Certificate showing any of his details?
This may then be a pointer to when he may have been in Germany.
It may be that if none of that helps, you may have to use Genealogy research.
Back to top Go down
http://www.football-linx.com/
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Number of posts : 117
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 17:59

@shelagh, as you can see from the image below, taken from Google maps, LessingStraße is still there, maybe you can identify your quarter from the picture.
Lessingstraße is outlined in red.

Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Lessing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 18:06

im 25 next month. and on my birth certificate is just his name and church of england ant that hes a soldier in churchill baracks lippstadt. i was born 1986

but i dont know when he left. my mum just told me that he had to leave germany but i dont know if thats true. im sorry but thats all ive got. but thx for a reply
Back to top Go down
dagian
Sgt
Sgt
dagian

Places Served : UK (Nuneaton/Barnard Castle/Larkhill/Bulford), Germany (Gutersloh/Lubbecke).Then worked as Civvy for Army.

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 18:18

That's great - somebody may now remember Stuart Gumm from 1986 in Churchill Bks.
Btw is your Mother's name Anke?
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 18:24

@shelagh I missed a bit of your street out in my first pic, sorry.

Churchill Barracks Lippstadt 002vbr
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 18:35

@maryedwards, anything on the list below ring any bells?

Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Gumm
Back to top Go down
dagian
Sgt
Sgt
dagian

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 19:10

My tip is the 1st ...
a Stuart Gumm married Anke Altoff in Pontypool 1985 Exclamation

I was in Churchill Bks 82-85 - Resident Units were 22 Sig Regt & 27 Regt RA.
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 20:24

it would seem he has moved to Sussex.

Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Gummp
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime3/7/2011, 23:27

I've searched back to 1945 but can find only one Stuart Gumm, mothers maiden name MARTIN, and he was born in 1972!

Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Births
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime4/7/2011, 09:05

yes her name is anke. can i ask u how u know her name??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime4/7/2011, 09:09

hmm thx and what can i do know???
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime4/7/2011, 10:21

maryedwards wrote:
yes her name is anke. can i ask u how u know her name??

Gumm is not a common name so easy to trace.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime4/7/2011, 11:12

i phoned the register office and they confirmed the date u just sent. and i phoned the bt and asked them if they can give me the numbers to the addresses ive got but they said i have to look on their internt site but its way to complicated for me. lol. i have no idea what to do to be honest. but thx a lot for ur help so far.
Back to top Go down
dagian
Sgt
Sgt
dagian

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime4/7/2011, 19:55

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime5/7/2011, 06:37

thats what they told me in pontypool yesterday. i need the birth date. i can try to get in germany but if they dont give it to me i dont know what to do anymore. or like u said the family centre. thx
Back to top Go down
Advent
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 19
Cap Badge : Royal Corps Of Signals
Places Served : Troon. Catterick. Minden. RAF Benson. RAF Brize Norton. Munster. Lippstadt. Osnabruck. RAF Wildenrath......
Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime20/8/2012, 11:36

Posted to 22 SR back in 1981 left in 1984 for Osnabruck.
Original post mention the Red Shield coffee.
I recall a place called the Bruin across the road from the Guard room and HQ 27 RA.
I belive the Bruin was run by the wives of 22 Signal Regiment.
Back to top Go down
lindah
LCpl
LCpl

Registration date : 2012-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime20/9/2012, 08:09

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me. I am looking for a Keith Johnson (scouse0 I know he was stationed there in 1976 along with Keith Appleby, not much is known after that, he was supposed to go to Berlin but dont know if he did. Please please can anyone hwlp.
Back to top Go down
lindah
LCpl
LCpl

Registration date : 2012-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime20/9/2012, 08:16

forgot to mention he was in the 22nd signals red

Back to top Go down
Wally 5315
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime17/11/2012, 15:30

Iwas in Churchill Barracks,Lippstadt 1955-57,58th Medium Regiment RA.We shared the camp with 53rd L.A.A Regt .Had some very happy times would love to go back but times not on my side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Lippstadt Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Churchill Barracks Lippstadt
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next