BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 48 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 48 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Churchill Barracks

Go down 
+17
ronnie french
peteratwar
mjm34
wigglyamp
Shep
soprano54
gtaylorwigan
Ian Smudge Smith
Ian-redcap70
Paul
geoffrey withers
poldy
plant-pilot
Ivor
leytherjay
davet769
Bexy
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bexy
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 17
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick, Lippstadt, Herford and lots in between
Registration date : 2007-03-14

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime15/3/2007, 08:19

My first posting and I recently visited it. Took a number of photos which will appear on the photo section in due course.

Rumour has it that it was used by the SS for genetic engineering and gruesome experiments would take place in the cellars. There was indeed a morgue in the cellar of block 2, that much is true as the squadron bar was located there and people would rest their pints on the old morgue slab.

And yes there were the rumours of tunnels but these did exist all be it from the barracks to the officers mess opposite (which is now a posh restarurant).
Back to top Go down
davet769
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: War Time Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime30/5/2007, 17:54

Lippstadt was the home of an AKK AKK regiment. (Anti-Aircraft)
Back to top Go down
leytherjay
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-05-31

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime3/6/2007, 00:13

I was in lippstadt from jan 1990 - dec 1992 and worked in the QM(T) dept. It was my first posting and the best one I had. Amazing town and great posting.
The bar with the mortuary slab in it was 4sqn`s bar if I remember correctly. I was in HQ sqn but was accomodated in that block for about 4 months as there was no room in HQ sqn block.I was allowed to use their bar as i was using their block, so had a few good nights in the bar.
Favourite bar was the playpoint, went there before going down to the KU-till about 5am. Great times Very Happy Smile cheers
Back to top Go down
Ivor
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime23/2/2008, 13:38

I was in 4 sqn Mar 81 to Mar 84.
I helped build that bar!!
Glad to hear that it was still being used right to the end
Back to top Go down
redcap70

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Lippstadt   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime23/2/2008, 19:30

Has anyone got a photo of the German hospital in Lippstadt?
Back to top Go down
plant-pilot
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 22
Cap Badge : R.Sigs/RE
Places Served : Lippstadt, Gütersloh, Herford, Hameln
Registration date : 2007-03-08

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime28/2/2008, 17:54

Ivor wrote:
I was in 4 sqn Mar 81 to Mar 84.
I helped build that bar!!
Glad to hear that it was still being used right to the end

I was also in 4 Sqn from 81-83..... cracking bar, and some awesome nights which I can almost remember clown
Back to top Go down
poldy
Private
Private

Cap Badge : was Royal Signals now civi.since 1974 in Germany
Places Served : Catterick Lippstadt 2 Sqn then 4 Sqn as it was first formed in the 70`s
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime22/7/2008, 21:35

redcap70 wrote:
Has anyone got a photo of the German hospital in Lippstadt?

Which hospital do you mean? there are 2 ( Evangelische Krankenhaus and the Katholische Krankenhaus) one is in the middle of the town and one on the outskirts going towards Bad Waldliesborn on the Wiedenbrückerstr.
Back to top Go down
geoffrey withers
LCpl
LCpl
geoffrey withers

Number of posts : 8
Cap Badge : royal artillery
Places Served : BAOR ADEN
Registration date : 2007-11-23

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime25/7/2008, 22:14

davet769 wrote:
12 Light Anti Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery,were stationed in Lippstadt in the 1950s.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re:- 12 Light Anti-aircraft Regiment.   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime25/7/2008, 23:39

geoffrey withers wrote:
davet769 wrote:
12 Light Anti Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery,were stationed in Lippstadt in the 1950s.

Geoffrey,

Any chance you could give a more accurate time span?

It must have been after 1951, as 12 was an Anti-Tank unit up until then.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
geoffrey withers
LCpl
LCpl
geoffrey withers

Number of posts : 8
Places Served : BAOR ADEN
Registration date : 2007-11-23

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime26/7/2008, 18:55

Paul wrote:
geoffrey withers wrote:
davet769 wrote:

Geoffrey,

Paul.

Hi Paul, 12 ANTI TANK BECAME 12 LAA IN 1951 when they were deployed to CELLE.I joined 12 LAA in 1959 when they were in DelmenhorsT. Many of the members of the regiment served in CELLE and then LIPPSTADT.I do believe the regiment came to DELMENHORST just before I joined them.Probably in 1957/58.
Back to top Go down
Ian-redcap70
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Ian-redcap70

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Bielefeld, Colchester
Registration date : 2007-08-16

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime26/7/2008, 20:17

Hi 'Poldy'

Ref the German Hospital in Lippstadt-It must have been the Evangelische one as I think it was on the outskirts of the town. MOD had an arrangement with it in the 50's to treat emergency British Service RTA casualties before being transferred to BMH.

The standard of treatment and care there was second to none!
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcap70.net
Ian Smudge Smith
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Cap Badge : ROYAL ARTILLERY
Places Served : Lippstadt (twice) Sennelager, Osnabruck, Larkhill
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime26/7/2008, 21:51

Only Just Registered on to the site which I have been following with great interest and it is a site I always pass on to friends and other Artillery Sites I visit, a site like this has been long over due, so well done.

I have replied on the Lippstadt forum because thats where I started out in September 1973 with 27 Regiment aged 17, also served in Osnabruck and Sennelager.

I visit Lippstadt every October for the Herbstwoche as I look at Lippstadt as the place where i grew up, left in 1981 as part of an arms plot and returned in 1991 to be told a week later that the station was to be closed.

I have always wondered how soldiers in the years before me found Lippstadt, where did they drink ect and I realised last year by speaking to locals that there must be people approaching their sixties that in Lippstadt that are the result of brief relationships, I certainly know of those from my time and spend the odd hour on the net looking for their fathers.

Anyway hope to receive some feedback about the old days when you all wore teddy boy suits ect lol
Back to top Go down
poldy
Private
Private

Cap Badge : was Royal Signals now civi.since 1974 in Germany
Places Served : Catterick Lippstadt 2 Sqn then 4 Sqn as it was first formed in the 70`s
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime20/8/2008, 11:06

redcap70 wrote:
Hi 'Poldy'

Ref the German Hospital in Lippstadt-It must have been the Evangelische one as I think it was on the outskirts of the town. MOD had an arrangement with it in the 50's to treat emergency British Service RTA casualties before being transferred to BMH.

The standard of treatment and care there was second to none!

Hi redcap,
sorry for the delay in answering I have been very busy. I went to Lippstadt about 3 weeks ago, drove past the hospital but I cant realy say there is anyway I could have taken any decent photos of the place.
If you type www.ev-krankenhaus.de in your search machine it shows a lot of info about the hospital and has a small front view of the entrance area. All in German I am afraid but I hope it helps.
My now 36 year old daughter was admitted there whilst I was in the Army, she decided to swallow a grape whole and it got stuck in her throat. She was blue in the face when I saw her and just managed to push the grape down her throat to clear it. She had to be admitted as they were unsure if the grape had gone into her lungs or not.
The care was good them also.
see you-.
Back to top Go down
Ian-redcap70
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Ian-redcap70

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Bielefeld, Colchester
Registration date : 2007-08-16

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime21/8/2008, 05:01

Thanks for this info Poldy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcap70.net
gtaylorwigan
Cpl
Cpl
gtaylorwigan

Number of posts : 10
Cap Badge : REME, DLOY
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Lippstadt, Gibraltar, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime1/12/2008, 12:47

I only joined last week, it's a great site and long overdue, well done.

I was in Lippstadt from 1969 to 1972 and a VM in the REME LAD atached to 42 Medium RA. Shortly after I got there 42 went back to the UK and 27 Medium came out from Devizes. Before they came to Lippstadt they went straight on to the gun ranges at Hohne for a few weeks because their CO thought they had had it too soft in the UK. I think it was Jan or Feb and freezing, only the advance party came to the camp.

I was attached to 6 Battery on exercises, me and a gun fitter had a Ferrett so we could follow the M109's across country. We just had our tools, weapons, ammo and compo and a lot of freedom. Good times.

Lippstadt was a good posting and I remember Churchill Barracks very well. It was a twin camp with 22 Signals Regt in the other half. We got on well with the scaley backs and I don't remember much trouble.

When we had finished work on Friday we didn't go to the cookhouse. We used to get out heads down for a couple of hours then meet in the Naafi before going for a big nosh up down town, then meet up in a squaddies bar.(can anybody remind me of the name). Inevitably we would have trouble with the Italians and Turks but not usually with the Germans.

When 27 Medium came to the camp after being on Hohne ranges there happened to be a Schutzenfest on down town so all the regiment went and got rat arsed. It was mayhem, both the camp jails and the civvy nick down town were full so they started sending them to the surrounding garrison jails. My brother was a military policeman in the RAF at Gutersloh, even he remembers being called out to help.

I used to play football for the Gunners regimental team and we had a good run in the BAOR Cup. They were that serious about doing well we used to train every afternoon and were excused guards, fatigues and exercises. Me and one of the gunners played for a local German team as well, the coach used to pick us up in a Mercedes and take us to training and matches.

I have got some photos of the camp in the loft somewhere, including the camp water supply tank which we used as a swimming pool and road testing the 432's around the camp perimeter.

I'll have to dig them out and post them on the pictures section.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip.
Back to top Go down
Ian Smudge Smith
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Cap Badge : ROYAL ARTILLERY
Places Served : Lippstadt (twice) Sennelager, Osnabruck, Larkhill
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime13/12/2008, 19:42

As mentioned in my previous post I was in Lippstadt from 1973, the Bars you might remember are out of camp turn left then right on to Erwitte Str, the triangle of pubs were the Dortmunder, run by Ray ex Signals, the Bird cage opposite then towards town the Lindenhof.

Carry on down Erwitte Str turn right just over the railway crossing and on the left a true squaddie pub the Capri Bar. In town the Golden Hahn, discos , Strand Hotel, on the outskirts the Golden Gate.

There are sites for 27 old comrades and 6 Bty may be holding a reunion in the old Officers Mess in Lippstadt next year during the October Festival which I and a few mates go back to each year and pretend we are 18 again.[b]

Ian
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Photographs.   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime11/1/2009, 20:43

New photographs on the main site for Churchill Barracks, courtesy of David Lane.

Three more to go on yet.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Photographs.   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime12/1/2009, 19:32

Paul wrote:
New photographs on the main site for Churchill Barracks, courtesy of David Lane.

Three more to go on yet.

Paul.

All photographs provided by David Lane are now on the main aite for Churchill Barracks. David has identified most of them and I await his remarks on those still to be given a caption.

Paul.

Churchill Barracks Church10
RA Officers Mess as it is today.
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime12/1/2009, 19:43

Shocked Chroist I thought the 'Pink House' was located in Walsrode!!!
Back to top Go down
Shep
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 10
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Menden, Paderborn, Soest
Registration date : 2008-07-31

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime29/1/2009, 11:36

I spent in total 8 years in Soest, just down the road and after leaving the Army in 1989 I stayed in the area, I have now been living in or near Lippstadt since 1991.
I go past the Barracks on a regular basis and the local Government has really tried to do something with it.
The Officers Mess is now being used as a venue that can be booked for weddings, parties etc.
The old Church has been taken over by a Russin religious sect and most of the old Barrack blocks have been converted into Flats.
There is unfortunately not much left to suggest that the British Army ever spent time there.
Lippstadt hasn´t really changed since the 80s, its still got the best nightlife in the area and one of the best festivities is of course the Herbstwoche which is still going strong.
Should anyone want to know anything more just drop me a buzz.
Back to top Go down
wigglyamp
LCpl
LCpl
wigglyamp

Number of posts : 7
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Registration date : 2008-01-01

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime24/2/2009, 18:34

I was there for just about a year when our Troop, 656 Signal Troop relocated there from Lubbecke in '85 I think it was.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nivets.org.uk
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime18/4/2009, 10:21

Paul wrote:
geoffrey withers wrote:
davet769 wrote:

Geoffrey,

Paul.

Paul
12 A/Tk Regt RA moved to Celle from Trieste in Feb '51. Although nominally an A/Tk Regt they were really a composite having R A/Tk, S Fd, T LAA & U Fd Btys under command. The following month it re-roled as LAA, losing U Bty in the process. The Regt stayed in Taunton Bks Celle until Jan '56 when it moved to Harewood Bks Herford.

I have more info on 12 LAA if you are interested.
Back to top Go down
peteratwar
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime23/4/2009, 11:51

I joined 12 LAA Regt in Jan 1957 when they were at Herford. They moved to Lippstadt either late that year then moved onto Delmenhorst in 1958 (early). Used to go to Winterberg for skiing on a Sunday in the winter. 4 of us had an old mercedes to go round in
Back to top Go down
plant-pilot
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 22
Cap Badge : R.Sigs/RE
Places Served : Lippstadt, Gütersloh, Herford, Hameln
Registration date : 2007-03-08

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime8/10/2009, 11:28

Was there a unit, probably RAOC, stationed in Churchill Bks around 1952 called 151 Vehicle Coy?

I have just had an email from a lad called Stephan from Münster in Germany who found a VW Beetle in the woods somewhere in East Germany about 15 years ago and has spent the last 10 years restoring it, and from the pictures he sent, a very nice job he has done too. His research with VW said it was a British Army Beetle issued to (or by) 151 Veh Coy Churchill Bks, Lippstadt.

He was looking for pictures from around that time of Beetles, which I'm sorry to say I can't help with.
Back to top Go down
ronnie french
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 56
Places Served : rhyl. herford
Registration date : 2009-05-01

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime11/10/2009, 16:03

i joined the 12 laa in jan56 at celle moved to herford the same month and the 12th left herford oct57 for lippstadt.i was one of 12 to leave harewood bks for demob.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Churchill Barracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill Barracks   Churchill Barracks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Churchill Barracks
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next