BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Woodsford - or descended from that name, 1951
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitimeToday at 13:42 by MarieH

» Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitimeToday at 09:14 by Mikeh

» Do you know this place - Bothfeld Kaserne
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 10:44 by steve

» Barker Bks, (prev. Panzer Viking!) Driburgerstr, Paderborn
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 08:46 by steve

» Horrocks Barracks, Schloss Neuhaus
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 08:42 by steve

» Soldiers Pensions
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime6/9/2024, 00:09 by Pborn4

» RAPA, Bad Lippspringer
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime3/9/2024, 08:33 by Dee Z

» Polish Air Force
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime2/9/2024, 22:51 by Pborn4

» NAAFI to be closed
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime1/9/2024, 19:07 by Pborn4

» History of the Garrison and Brits in Westfalen (Impacts)
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime25/8/2024, 15:51 by Rocky

» Have you heard of a place called SCHMIEDE?
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime23/8/2024, 20:08 by Pborn4

» Long shot Hildesheim 1964
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime22/8/2024, 04:49 by Kevin1964

» New BAOR-locations website - 25 May 2024
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime20/8/2024, 11:17 by steve

» Units at Roberts Barracks
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime20/8/2024, 10:12 by garrymac

» R.A.F. Eindhoven - 1953
Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime16/8/2024, 13:59 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 45 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 45 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
September 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Daimler Ferret - Info needed please

Go down 
+8
Mike_2817
Paul
Johnwalker
bob
Mikey
pigdog
alan8376
FUGLY
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FUGLY
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Empty
PostSubject: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime14/1/2010, 09:07

Hello all Smile

I am restoring a ferret used by BAOR from 1969 through to 1989 - Have you any pictures of Ferret 02 CC 12

If you have any pic I am prepared to buy a copy or meet expenses.

Ferret 02CC12 swerved with:

3rd Carbiniers 1969 - 1971
Royal Scots DG 1969 - 1973
14/20 Hussars 1973 - 1974
1st RTR 1974 - 1976
13/18 Hussars 1976 - 1982
16 / 5 lancers 1982 - 1986
storage 1987 - 1989
1989 LUDGERSHALL

I have found a picture of a similar vehicle taken on exercise LIONHEART.
02CC12 was a Mark 1/1 (NO TURRET) and had a wire stowage basket fitted over the engine (The brackets are still there).

Any help gratefully acknowledged. If you ever used this vehicle I would love to hear from you, and you would be welcome to come and look over it.

Jim
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 763
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime14/1/2010, 10:36

Don't forget many Ferrets were used in Cyrus in a non UN role!

Now tell me what's wrong with the gearbox?
Back to top Go down
FUGLY
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime14/1/2010, 10:46

hello

How did you know there was a problem with the gearbox ! ? Or are they all faulty !Apparantly the 1st and 2nd gear brakebands are badly worn , its slipping terribly and will not adjust out. I have some replacements bands and plan to install them as I am assuming that it wont make the problem any worse than it is (famous last words) Any advice for me ?

Cheers
jim
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime14/1/2010, 11:07

I was not a Ferret mechanic in the Army (thank god!)

Maybe we have a Reme Ferret VM on the site?

Trouble with the gearbox was mainly the driver(s), they were 'usually' lazy B***ds. Sorry guys!

The Ferret required frequent, if not daily 'pedalling up in ALL gears, if this was NOT carried out the brake bands would slip.

Before you do any expensive and long drawn out work try the Instructions laid down in the EMERs (Army, Workshop Manual), these instructions are on the net.

Apart from some lengthy stripping of bits around the gearbox, then removing top and possibly side covers a few simple special tools are required.

Please, as a side to my notes above.

DO Not check the Fluid Flywheel level with out a suitable filling plug removal tool being tied to your wrist AND stuffing rags around the area to prevent loss of the Filler Plug.
Back to top Go down
FUGLY
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime14/1/2010, 11:30

I tried adjusting it through the pedalling method but it just wouldn't adjust out. I have committed myself to removing the box, I am going to take the opportunity to clean around it and behind it

Sound like you have bitter experience of the "Ferret Fluid Flywheel" lost plug !!

I am off to Bovington to look at all the ferret pics in the library to try and find mine.[/img]
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime14/1/2010, 11:37

I have a few photos from Aden, but no REG Nos are visable.

Good luck with your search!
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime14/1/2010, 18:25

FUGLY,

A suggestion regarding photos of your ferret.

Taking each Unit in turn, go to Google and see if they have a Unit web page depicting the 'old days.'

Quite often regiments have a section showing lots of photos. You might strike lucky and see your Ferret !
Back to top Go down
pigdog
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime14/1/2010, 21:27

My Ferret might have served next to yours. Mine was in the 3rd Carabiniers in Munster Germany in sep. 1969. My Ferret is a 1965 MK 2/3
00 EC 55. It was also with the QRIH and the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon guards. My records only go to 1971. I would love to find a picture from when it was it service also.
-Chris
Back to top Go down
Mikey
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 35
Places Served : BAOR, Cyprus, Aden
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime15/1/2010, 17:16

Yep, I was a REME Ferret VM in Aden, long time ago but I don't remember any particular problem with the g/box so long as procedure was followed, each morning kick the pedal some many times to adjust the bands, do remember the excruciating pain though if you didn't push the pedal down properly and it kicked back on a false nutural and jammed your knee under the rim of the drivers hatch.
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

Number of posts : 94
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : 74c Deepcut, Bordon,Detmold, Hohne, Osnabruck, Soest
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime15/1/2010, 19:19

Fugly

I did work on Ferrets ( very rarely ) but theres nothing I can add that hasn't been said. If you follow EMERs you should be ok.

Have you tried asking on Noahs Arc..1420h.org or 1420kh.org.I'm sure some of the old'n'bold on there might be able to help with photos etc.
Back to top Go down
FUGLY
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: List Of In Service Photos for FERRET   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime15/1/2010, 22:07

Hello

Thanks for all the replies . I have spent the afternoon at Bovington Tank Museum (UK) - I could not find a pic of 02CC12 , but did find lots of others .

PM me for a list or email jim@strategicplacements.com

Some great pictures though. Gearbox is coming out tomorrow - new brake band lininmgs - Wish me luck !

Anyone have any photos of 02CC12 Smile ???
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 98
Cap Badge : OX2 9BU
Places Served : B.A.O.R. Uk. Aden. Libya. +
Registration date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime16/1/2010, 09:12

pigdog wrote:
My Ferret might have served next to yours. Mine was in the 3rd Carabiniers in Munster Germany in sep. 1969. My Ferret is a 1965 MK 2/3
00 EC 55. It was also with the QRIH and the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon guards. My records only go to 1971. I would love to find a picture from when it was it service also.
-Chris
John. here(Former 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards). I was att to Recce Troop for a few excersises (have photos) will dig them out.When was your ferret with us? I drove them a lot in all sort of situations,a very fine bit of kit.My best mate(Skins Recce Trp) for sure has photos will contact him today.
Regards John.
Back to top Go down
pigdog
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime16/1/2010, 19:19

John. here(Former 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards). I was att to Recce Troop for a few excersises (have photos) will dig them out.When was your ferret with us? I drove them a lot in all sort of situations,a very fine bit of kit.My best mate(Skins Recce Trp) for sure has photos will contact him today.
Regards John.[/quote]

This is the info from my ferrets vehicle history card from the tank museum.
DIS july 1965
Nov 1967 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards, weeton, lancashire. Regiment to germany march 1969
Feb 1969 CVD central vehicle depot, Ludgershall, Wiltshire
RVD july 1969 reserve depot
sep. 1969 3rd Carabiniers, Munster Germany
Aug 1970 QRIH paderborn Germany
May 1971 RAOC ABU, Larzac France
Oct 1971 QRIH paderborn Germany
Dec 1971 BVD Germany

Thats all that was on the card. Thanks for looking into this.
-Chris
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime16/1/2010, 19:38

Chris.OK I will try to take this further for you.THe Mate I mentioned to you was Recce troop even then at Weeton so we might be lucky!!!Stand by for action.
Regards John.
Back to top Go down
FUGLY
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime16/1/2010, 21:05

Cheers All !

If any ferret photos are available (home snaps, not pics of websites please), please let me know as I have had alot of requests for various vehicles (all ferrets) and I can try to link up the photos with current owners !

cheers

Jim
Back to top Go down
FUGLY
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime16/1/2010, 21:06

alan8376 wrote:
I was not a Ferret mechanic in the Army (thank god!)

Maybe we have a Reme Ferret VM on the site?

Trouble with the gearbox was mainly the driver(s), they were 'usually' lazy B***ds. Sorry guys!

The Ferret required frequent, if not daily 'pedalling up in ALL gears, if this was NOT carried out the brake bands would slip.

Before you do any expensive and long drawn out work try the Instructions laid down in the EMERs (Army, Workshop Manual), these instructions are on the net.

Apart from some lengthy stripping of bits around the gearbox, then removing top and possibly side covers a few simple special tools are required.

Please, as a side to my notes above.

DO Not check the Fluid Flywheel level with out a suitable filling plug removal tool being tied to your wrist AND stuffing rags around the area to prevent loss of the Filler Plug.

Gearbox is now out and on the bench ... (a very strong bench) !!!!
Back to top Go down
FUGLY
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime25/1/2010, 15:26

I have narrowed the search down a bit - The ferret spent a lot of time at HERFORD Barracks with various regiments - if anyone has any pictures of ferrets at Herford , mine might be on it ??

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime28/1/2010, 18:47

Pigdog...I have been onto my mate(former Recce Troop) Skins.as you mentioned your ferret was at weeton where we were at the time you mentioned..He was there but not then with Recce(sorry I thought he was) he tells me there were only a few ferrets there then.Yours being one of them as you said.He will try else where.OK In the mean time so will I.In the mean time good luck.
Regards John.(former Skins).

Last edited by Johnwalker on 28/1/2010, 19:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime28/1/2010, 18:59

Fugly,

Is your Ferret fitted with a turret? If so, did you have to take it off to facilitate taking the G/box out that way? Or I you taking the engine out as well?

Alan
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime28/1/2010, 21:46

FUGLY wrote:
I have narrowed the search down a bit - The ferret spent a lot of time at HERFORD Barracks with various regiments - if anyone has any pictures of ferrets at Herford , mine might be on it ??

Thanks

The greater majority of the units you mentioned in one of your first posts were stationed in Harewood Barracks, Herford, although some of the year spans differ somewhat.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
FUGLY
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime29/1/2010, 08:15

alan8376 wrote:
Fugly,

Is your Ferret fitted with a turret? If so, did you have to take it off to facilitate taking the G/box out that way? Or I you taking the engine out as well?

Alan

Hi

There is not a turret, so it was aesy to take the gearbox up and out . Gearbox is finished now engine coming out next. I had a whold bucketful of mud and soil from under / arouind the gearbox - under the engine should be full as well of rubbish !

regards

Jim
Back to top Go down
FUGLY
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime29/1/2010, 08:19

Paul wrote:
FUGLY wrote:

Thanks

The greater majority of the units you mentioned in one of your first posts were stationed in Harewood Barracks, Herford, although some of the year spans differ somewhat.

Paul.
Yes you are quite right , I am focusing on that location. I had an email from an ex hussar who recalls travelling to Ludgershall with others to bring a convoy of Mk2 2 ferrets to Germany, he said they kept 1 mk 1 ferret amongst all the mk 2's . It should reallly stick out like a sore thumb as it also may had had a stowage basket fitted to it. Another Hussar recalls that the german writing on the back panel was an original caution to iother road user that the ferret had no flashing indicators.

Thanks

Jim
Back to top Go down
FUGLY
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime29/1/2010, 08:22

Johnwalker wrote:
Pigdog...I have been onto my mate(former Recce Troop) Skins.as you mentioned your ferret was at weeton where we were at the time you mentioned..He was there but not then with Recce(sorry I thought he was) he tells me there were only a few ferrets there then.Yours being one of them as you said.He will try else where.OK In the mean time so will I.In the mean time good luck.
Hello !

Thanks for trying anyway - when it was with the Hussars they had a RECCE troop and I assume it was also with the same with 1st RTR ?

Thanks for you assistance . I have not given up hope of finding a nice picture yet ! In the meantime I have been trawling through the internet and there are some great photos out there !!

Jim
Back to top Go down
pigdog
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime30/1/2010, 19:18

Johnwalker wrote:

John thanks for looking. Its cool to be able to place my ferret there at the same time as yourself.
-Chris
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime2/2/2010, 00:07

Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Ferret1_1paget1

Picture of Ferret 1/1 with basket which was a local modification by almost all units to carry kit & cam nets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daimler Ferret - Info needed please   Daimler Ferret - Info needed  please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Daimler Ferret - Info needed please
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next