BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 60 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 60 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Reminder of Germany

Go down 
+23
mjm34
bob
TDivers
merchant6690
Shelldrake
Daveb
brum
steve jones
jimsigs1
gingerjim
Nutstrangler
Norman
Stephen Lock
TonyE
Big_Mike
donald
alan8376
Teabag
Paul
graham wright
dandc
Hardrations
blairgowrie
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/5/2011, 23:36

Kava is the local drink here in Fiji. its made from the roots of the yuqona plant. bashed to a powder and then mixed with water. its actually not alcholic but is a soporific drug. Bloody awful stuff
Back to top Go down
TDivers
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : Former Royal Engineer
Places Served : Munsterlager, Hohne, Sennelager, Nienburg, Osnabruck
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/5/2011, 02:13

gingerjim wrote:
SOURKRAUT

Its definetly not sourkraut but i've bumped into a few of them in my time in Germany.

Tried looking on the net for it as its one of those drinks you get in and give to people you don't like.

It could be Graupe or graupen but not 100% positive, but it was dam awful. First drunk it in alpenbach on Ski Training. Was used as a sort of initiation drink.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thailand-divers.com

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/5/2011, 08:04

Was it as bad as Badger Bitter?????THat was a foul brew,Funilly enough the locals in Blandford swore by it/
Back to top Go down
TDivers
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : Former Royal Engineer
Places Served : Munsterlager, Hohne, Sennelager, Nienburg, Osnabruck
Registration date : 2011-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/5/2011, 08:30

Gordon. wrote:
Was it as bad as Badger Bitter?????THat was a foul brew,Funilly enough the locals in Blandford swore by it/

Must admit never tasted Badger Bitter but by the sounds of it...this stuff i had in Austria was worse.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thailand-divers.com
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/8/2011, 17:40

Never met a beer I didn't like....encountered the odd schnapps however that really didn't sit well with me or my guts! Korn...vile stuff but if that wasn't bad enough, we of course had to try Doppelkorn....yeeee-uck!! Twice as vile, go figure!

Then there was some schnapps that had gold flecks floating around in it....we were told it was real gold, but I rather doubt it...probably some el cheapo glitter crap made in Taiwan that will give me cancer later!
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/8/2011, 18:11

Stephen, did you ever try Apfelkorn? Nectar from the Gods. drunken
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/8/2011, 18:44

Shelldrake wrote:
Stephen, did you ever try Apfelkorn? Nectar from the Gods. drunken

Probably....there were very few libations I DIDN'T try back then! All in the name of international relations, of course!! :-)
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

Number of posts : 94
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : 74c Deepcut, Bordon,Detmold, Hohne, Osnabruck, Soest
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/8/2011, 06:39

Stephen Lock wrote:

Then there was some schnapps that had gold flecks floating around in it....we were told it was real gold, but I rather doubt it...probably some el cheapo glitter crap made in Taiwan that will give me cancer later!

Goldschlager?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldschl%C3%A4ger

I've managed to get Herforder here in the UK .Lidl used to sell Apfelkorn but there's a company on the net that sells it.......3 bottles chilling nicely in my beer fridge. Very Happy and in the freezer is a bottle of Jaegermeister...been there since 2007!

edited to add......the bloke I got the Herfies from also sent a bottle of Curry Ketchup ( the proper German stuff ) yum! Wink
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/8/2011, 08:02

Bloody hell Bob, had to reach for my Sunglasses when your Avatar came up. Cool
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/8/2011, 18:42

Goldschlager it was, yes!! Seemed, even back then when gold was $30 US an ounce, it seemed awfully decadent to me to be drinking something with gold in it....like something out of Imperial Rome or 1920s Berlin...Divine Decadence!!!

So, of course, I drank it.....
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/8/2011, 20:34

the only beer i disliked ,was sold in the naafi in blighty and germany. WATNEYS BROWN ALE, YUK, ginger
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/8/2011, 08:35

Gordon. wrote:
I don't think anything was as bad as that stuff from the Hall & Shitehouse brewery! Never saw it sold outside the Blandford area and there is a reason for that.

Lidl in Spain sell Veltins and Bitburger. Shame the stores in UK don't.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/8/2011, 10:51

Mike, I spotted Bitburger and Efes in Tesco yesterday. Didn't buy any as it's bad for you!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/8/2011, 10:58

Shelldrake wrote:
Mike, I spotted Bitburger and Efes in Tesco yesterday. Didn't buy any as it's bad for you!! Very Happy
Thanks for the intel as a result of your recce. Think I'll risk my health on this one drunken
Mike
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/8/2011, 13:11

I was recently on holiday in the Mosel region and noticed that Bitburger was being sold in half litre plastic bottles, it reminded me of the 2 litre plastic bottles of beer that were on sale in the late 80's - disgusting! Incidentally, all bottled soft and alcoholic drink sold in Germany is now subject to a deposit which is refunded on return of the aforementioned, usually 25 cents. They are placed in a special machine which then refunds the dosh - good idea. I've got a Bottle Bank outside my back gate, the binmen think I run an Offie! drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

Number of posts : 94
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : 74c Deepcut, Bordon,Detmold, Hohne, Osnabruck, Soest
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/8/2011, 20:18

Shelldrake wrote:
Incidentally, all bottled soft and alcoholic drink sold in Germany is now subject to a deposit which is refunded on return of the aforementioned, usually 25 cents. They are placed in a special machine which then refunds the dosh - good idea. I've got a Bottle Bank outside my back gate, the binmen think I run an Offie! drunken drunken

Their plastic bottles seem to be thicker than the ones here.When we were there we " deposited " some plastic Irn Bru bottles we had in the car....thought the machine would throw a wobbly but no we got our 25c Wink
The bloke I buy my Herfies from adds a deposit onto the bottles....could get the deposit back but bugger going all the way to Ludgershall......

Way back in the 1980s before the NAAFI sold 2ltr bottles of Irn Bru we bought lots of Coke a Cola ( them big 2ltr glass bottles) 10pf refund on them.The money came in handy at the end of the month.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime24/8/2011, 08:28

Anyone who has attended a Town or Music festival in Germany lately can't fail to notice there are no plastic or glass bottles laying around on the ground after cessation of the celebrations. Reason being, all the homeless and down and outs are walking around with super market trolleys clearing up all the bottles. At 25c a time, they must make a fortune.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime25/8/2011, 00:22

We've had recycling of various beverage containers in Canada for some time (bottles, cans and, more recently, plastic milk jugs etc) and even at that people still toss bottles out so, yeah, we have bottle-pickers whose source of income is collecting bottles and trundling off to the bottle depot.

Depending on size of bottle, or bottles vs cans etc., the deposit varies. Anywhere from ten cents to, I think, 25 cents.

On a good day, they can make about 30 dollars which isn't a lot really.....do it 5 days a week that's only $150 a week, so $600 a month.....if they have a small flat (most live on the street anyway) you're looking at a minimum of $825/month....

But it's enough to buy ciggies or some booze (a lot of them have addiction issues, which is why they're on the street to begin with).

Life's a little different with a bit of cash in your pocket than naught, no matter what it gets spent on (and not all of them blow it on booze or dope). Plus, it cleans up the streets and, I think, it is a "job" for them....better than lolling around begging/panhandling. And it's hard work, involving a lot of hours because if you leave it until too late in the day, your route's been picked over already. A lot of these guys are out there at 6am and keep at it for 10, 12 hours!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime25/8/2011, 09:11

alan8376 wrote:

Reason being, all the homeless and down and outs are walking around with super market trolleys clearing up all the bottles. At 25c a time, they must make a fortune.

When I was posted out of Germany in the late 70s it was an affluent place.

I can't imagine there being "homeless and down and outs" in the country.

Where are they all from ?
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime25/8/2011, 09:45

They have come from inside Germany's own society, albeit some from the East. I would put it on a par with the UK..

Most towns/cities have your drinkers, homeless, down and outs and beggers on the street corner. Germany also has a high unemployment level. And like UK, many have a dog in tow.

Not sure if they can claim money to feed the dog? Can they in UK?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime25/8/2011, 17:30

I`ve seen them in Edinburgh,complete with dog.then going to the Cafe Royle for lunch.Beggars belief

Last edited by Gordon. on 26/8/2011, 07:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/8/2011, 07:22

I never buy a big issue. I think the idea is a good one but it is obviously being abused by some.

There is a woman who sells outside of a shop by us. She is a Romanian i think and has been doing this for about five years.

During that time, she has had a baby who is looked after at home by her husband. She is dropped off each day in a better car than my old thing and picked up later in the same.

True she stands there in all weathers and is quite popular with some of the locals but she is abusing the system and givijg big issue sellers and homeless people a bad name. Why do the owners(?) allow this to go on?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/8/2011, 07:26

I`m with you on this one Teabag.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/8/2011, 18:11

Teabag wrote:
I never buy a big issue. I think the idea is a good one but it is obviously being abused by some.

There is a woman who sells outside of a shop by us. She is a Romanian i think and has been doing this for about five years.

During that time, she has had a baby who is looked after at home by her husband. She is dropped off each day in a better car than my old thing and picked up later in the same.

True she stands there in all weathers and is quite popular with some of the locals but she is abusing the system and givijg big issue sellers and homeless people a bad name. Why do the owners(?) allow this to go on?

Sorry....what's a "big issue" that one can sell or buy? I know what a big issue is (immigration being one, obviously!!) but clearly that's not the issue here (groan...sorry.... jocolor ). Is a 'big issue' some sort of street paper, then? Many of our homeless and such sell those here, or did until government funding sunk it. It was a good thing, actually. They'd buy the stack for whatever it was it went for from the Calgary Urban Project Society (CUPS....a great organization!) and, as an independent vendor, sell it on the streets for whatever they could get per issue...most folks bought it for a dollar, so profit margin was pretty good. Not fantastic....they weren't buying Rolex watches with the proceeds or anything....but okay and a nice subsidy to whatever disability pension or what-have-you they were on. Sadly, I forget the name of the paper.....I'd buy one occasionally.
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/8/2011, 18:57

i get annoyed at their manner when you refuse to buy one, if i were a bit younger i would deck a few of them , ginger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reminder of Germany   Reminder of Germany - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reminder of Germany
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next