BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Quebec Barracks in Osnabrück
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 19:14 by alan8376

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:18 by steve

» Sennelager 1977
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 23:15 by Spike68

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 32 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 31 Guests :: 1 Bot

Toddy7488

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?

Go down 
+16
Shelldrake
Barry Stevenson
brum
KJH
Daveb
soprano54
steve jones
Ian Stuart Laidlaw
JPW
ciphers
steve
whitehorse660
mjm34
ScaleyAlbereto
jim
chris67
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1005
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 18:46

The standard 1930s built barracks could all have had a swimming pools Epsom Barracks Iserlohn certainly had one but was filled in by the Canadians when it was Fort Beausejour from 1957 to 1970
Cheers
Steve
PS JPW thanks for the 30 Corps District updates will get back to you soon
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Ian Stuart Laidlaw
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-29

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 03:14

My brother nearly drowned in the Herford Barracks swimming pool! This was about 1958. (My father, Henry Laidlaw, RQMS, served with the 4th Inf Div Sig Rgt at Herford from 1956 to 59).

I went back for the first time in 2009 and made enquiries about the location of the swimming pool. I was told there used to be an open-air pool between Blocks 'B' and 'C' in Hammersmith Barracks. My informant was a security guy in the guardhouse whose memories went back 20 years.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 06:24

we had a great pool in Rippon Bks Bielefeld. It was of the static water tank type. i now swin in a pool here in fiji in the local university. Its an odd 33yard length. when i asked about the odd length I discovered it was built by the RNZAF when the university used to be an RNZAF station for flying boats.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 10:28

steve jones wrote:
we had a great pool in Rippon Bks Bielefeld. It was of the static water tank type. i now swin in a pool here in fiji in the local university. Its an odd 33yard length. when i asked about the odd length I discovered it was built by the RNZAF when the university used to be an RNZAF station for flying boats.

I've seen this posted before, I was in Ripon for 4 years and I'm dammed if I can remember this pool, only the ornamental pool by the canteen Wink
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 20:18

Ian Stuart Laidlaw wrote:
My brother nearly drowned in the Herford Barracks swimming pool! This was about 1958. (My father, Henry Laidlaw, RQMS, served with the 4th Inf Div Sig Rgt at Herford from 1956 to 59).

I went back for the first time in 2009 and made enquiries about the location of the swimming pool. I was told there used to be an open-air pool between Blocks 'B' and 'C' in Hammersmith Barracks. My informant was a security guy in the guardhouse whose memories went back 20 years.

I've never served there but visited both Bks a few times, can't say I can remember a pool though! These pics should jog a few memories mind:-

HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 HammersmithBks

Hammersmith Bks.

HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 WentworthBks

Wentworth Bks.
Back to top Go down
Daveb
WOI
WOI
Daveb

Number of posts : 105
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Iserlohn, Herford X 2
Registration date : 2010-12-16

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime30/3/2011, 20:59

In the Google Earth view of Hammersmith Barracks the pool was behind 1Sqn where the green patch with the small car park can now be seen, the original picture was not,in my opinion at least, not taken in Hammersmith.
Happy Days
Back to top Go down
KJH
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 18
Places Served : BAOR/Singapore
Registration date : 2011-08-16

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/9/2011, 09:33

I was stationed at Hammersmith Barracks July 1964 - Dec 1969 and I can confirm that there was indeed a small open air swimming pool. You entered the camp, turned right at the guardroom and the pool was between the second block (2 Squadron?) and the third block. Although I can't remember the pool ever being in use. Incidently, the third block was converted into married quarters circa 1966/7. I spent a few years working in the Comcen in Wentworth Barracs - Div HQ. Keith
Back to top Go down
KJH
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/9/2011, 09:36

On reflection, it might have been between the third and fourth block. Keith
Back to top Go down
Daveb
WOI
WOI
Daveb

Number of posts : 105
Places Served : Iserlohn, Herford X 2
Registration date : 2010-12-16

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/9/2011, 12:42

If you call the block next to the gate block one( with the Guardroom in the end and paper shop round the corner) then block two would be One Squadron, Charlie one and Charlie two troops or Comcen Golf and Hotel in the Bruin days. At the rear of that block was the swimming pool.
Don't recall the married quarter bit though, in fact I would say that it's not correct,it did have the bedding store in it but I don't think that qualifies. I was with 4 Div from 1967 through to 1972 and again in 1974 to 1977. Herford was a great town but 4 Div could have been better!.
What Sqn/troop were you in, we must have served together sometime.
Dave
Back to top Go down
KJH
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 19:45

Hi Dave, yes it was true. They refurbished the block and made it into flats. One of my mates, Jock Stark, moved in when he got married. Can't remember exact year though. I seem to remember we could look across to them from our barrack room. I married in 1966 and moved into married quarters so imagine it was probably between beginning of 1965 to middle of 1966. Keith
Back to top Go down
KJH
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 20:02

Hi again Dave. Started off in Zulu Troop above Regimantal HQ then transferred to 2 (?) Sqn - block opposite YMCA. Lived in from 64 - 66 then married quarters 66 to Dec 69. Worked a lot of my time in Comcen. Incidently, don't know why I have suddenly been transferred from Signals to REME on this site. Keith (Hind)
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/10/2011, 20:17

. Incidently, don't know why I have suddenly been transferred from Signals to REME on this site. Keith (Hind) [/quote]

Don't feel too bad about it Keith, it's probably best to lump all the junior regiments together, gives them a sense of security !

(Take cover ! ! ) affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 12:49

Just for you Brum

HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 304571_2152930975967_1027193833_32446630_1506317256_n
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/10/2011, 14:27

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Barry Stevenson
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 25
Places Served : Catterick Vimy Lines 11th Sigs Depot 1963.Herford 1964-1970
Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/12/2011, 23:20

mjm34 wrote:
Just had a closer look at the photo and those look like white single story buildings. Was there a pool in Maresfield or North Camp??????
There wasnt a pool at 7th Sigs and I was there from 64 to 70. The whole camp North and South of the Stadtholz Strasse is a very nice private housing estate, apart from at least one barrack block South camp near where the Cook House was and that's a German run Motor Bike Museum with a very nice bar at the end of it.
Baz
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/12/2011, 00:32

KJH, take is an honour, be proud.
Back to top Go down
Barry Stevenson
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/12/2011, 14:49

brum wrote:
. Incidently, don't know why I have suddenly been transferred from Signals to REME on this site. Keith (Hind)

Don't feel too bad about it Keith, it's probably best to lump all the junior regiments together, gives them a sense of security !

(Take cover ! ! ) affraid [/quote]

Ditto! I've never been with the REME so dont understand why I'm shown as a Cpl in the REME. Always in the R/Sigs. Perhaps the moderator can fix it?
Prosts Keith!
Baz
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/12/2011, 15:06

Don't be too upset Baz, I think that at one time I was a Ssgt in the RAC!!! Keep contributing and you will soon become a member of the General Staff like what I am.

Whilst I am on the subject of rank I think that it is time, in line with Government policy, to institute our own fiscal restraints. I have noticed that people are being commission from WO 1 and automatically confirmed in the rank of Captain. This arrangement, in my opinion, is no longer be financially sustainable, it is expensive enough paying a monthly salary without the Pension and Gratuity implications. I propose that a probationary period is served in the rank of Second Lieutenant before anyone is considered for further promotion, and that all Commissioned contributors, NOT in a General Staff appointment, should revert to the rank of Second Lieutenant forthwith. Against if any? bounce
Back to top Go down
Barry Stevenson
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/12/2011, 15:12

Shelldrake wrote:
Don't be too upset Baz, I think that at one time I was a Ssgt in the RAC!!! Keep contributing and you will soon become a member of the General Staff like what I am.

Whilst I am on the subject of rank I think that it is time, in line with Government policy, to institute our own fiscal restraints. I have noticed that people are being commission from WO 1 and automatically confirmed in the rank of Captain. This arrangement, in my opinion, is no longer be financially sustainable, it is expensive enough paying a monthly salary without the Pension and Gratuity implications. I propose that a probationary period is served in the rank of Second Lieutenant before anyone is considered for further promotion, and that all Commissioned contributors, NOT in a General Staff appointment, should revert to the rank of Second Lieutenant forthwith. Against if any? bounce
No thanks! Look what happen to 2nd Lt Gravestock Tango Troop mid 60's? I bumped into him in a Pub10 years later, 'The Leefe Robinson' opposite RAF Stanmore, looking very sad!
Baz
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/12/2011, 15:23

Barry Stevenson wrote:
Shelldrake wrote:

No thanks! Look what happen to 2nd Lt Gravestock Tango Troop mid 60's? I bumped into him in a Pub10 years later, 'The Leefe Robinson' opposite RAF Stanmore, looking very sad!
Baz

Do tell!!
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1005
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/12/2011, 16:10

Baz....I can fill in a later posting for 2Lt RP Gravestock...he arrived as a Troop Commander at the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Signals Denbury Camp Newton Abbot Devon Jun 65 not my troop commander but same squadron by 1966 he was promoted to Lt but posted before the disbandment in Aug 67
Regards
Steve
www.denburyjuniorleaders.com
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Barry Stevenson
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/12/2011, 16:28

Shelldrake wrote:
Barry Stevenson wrote:
Shelldrake wrote:

Baz
Do you remember him? Allso Lt 'Lethal' Lenthal? lol!

Do tell!!
Back to top Go down
KJH
Cpl
Cpl

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/1/2012, 15:22

Hi Baz and everyone. Sorry I have been missing for a while but unavoidable. Happy New Year to you all. Now that I have been transferred to REME, might have a go at servicing my car. Was quoted £850 for a service by Mercedes! Funniest thing I have heard for years.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/1/2012, 16:20

Hi KJH that's nothing, wait until you are promoted to Sgt, you'll be expected to do well in the Best Gun Competition! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/1/2012, 16:24

No problem for a siggy Shelldrake. tongue Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?   HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HERFORD BARRACKS SWIMMING POOL ?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next