BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 81 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 81 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Food & Compo

Go down 
+21
ciphers
Tom Withers
gingerjim
Shelldrake
RAF GATOW
sapper0938
Norman
brrowe
Stephen Lock
oldtimer
john mcmillan
recce83
JPW
Mike_2817
brum
Teabag
whitehorse660
dandc
mjm34
Hardrations
jim
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Food & Compo - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/7/2010, 17:05

Gordon. wrote:
Corned beef, POM and a tin of cheese (processed). Mix all together and serve piping hot..BEAUTIFUL..

Cholesteral????What`s that????

Happy days, before we'd heard of cholesterol and Health & Safety stopped us doing anything.

I used to mix up the corned dog with pomme as well but omitted the cheese possessed but added an oxo cube instead. The cheese possessed got eaten mixed with the tin of jam.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/7/2010, 22:06

"Jimmy`s" diet has a lot to answer for..Thank god for statins...lol
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/7/2010, 23:05

Typical, no sausages in lard at my local B & M.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime24/7/2010, 20:23

Mention of cheese possessed (particularly the Red Canadian variety to be found in the 5 man ration packs of the 1960s) brought memories of the night shift radio watch on BAOR FTX of the 1960s.

A quick snack of equal thickness compo cheese and oatmeal biscuit kept me going in the witching hours (plus brew of course).
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime24/7/2010, 21:55

I still like the odd meal of bully beef hash or sandwich, despite the deluge of admonitions and dire warnings aimed at me from all directions (mainly the better and wiser half and my doctor). In my army days we travelled light and depended mainly on the corned beef, and cheese, discarding most of the compo pack. We would supplement it with a fresh loaf from the local bakerie and some aquired potatoes and onions, particularly from those lush gardens that flourished in the Weser valley when on those autumn NATO excercises. We always had a bottle of HP sause on hand, and finding something to wash it down with was never a problem.

We used to get a lot of Spam when on excercise in Canada, but never in Germany. It came in big round tins about 6 inches in diameter and probably a foot high. It was known throughout the Canadian Army as "horse c**k".
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/7/2010, 09:40

I must say, my recollections of compo aren't as rosy as some of the contributors on this subject.
At the beginning of the 60s a 10 man pack held held such horrors as "Mutton Jock" (Mutton, Scotch style), "Irish Stew" and "Emmenvee" (Meat & vegetables).
Tins of this stuff were often issued ("one between two") at night and eaten in total darkness. Our Signals Sgt circulated a rumour that one of his Line crew had found a complete sheep's eye in a tin of Mutton Jock, true or not, chewing that stuff in the dark took courage!
Nobody ever had the time to make Pom properly but that could be OK if margarine was mixed into it.
There used to be something that resembled four by two, soaked in lard and wrapped in plastic film. This bore the label "Bacon" - yeah, right ! There were things called "Soya links" too, a sort of artificial sausage.
Things gradually improved, the first delicacy to be taken out of circulation was "Emmenvee", probably the worst of the lot.
You young lads did well to miss that crap, believe me!

brum
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/7/2010, 12:15

I joined up in 1969 and compo was being updated with the new 24 Hour Ration Packs & revised 4 & 10 Man Packs (same contents just differed in quantity)

Here are menu sheets from the 70's

Food & Compo - Page 2 Scan0001
24 Hour GS Ration Pack (Small Tins)
Biscuits were packed in box
Heximin Cooker & Tablets were issued separately

Food & Compo - Page 2 Compo
4 & 10 Man Ration Packs (mainly standard tins)
Intended for central feeding, But Heximin Cooker was issued if required
Biscuits or Bread were issued separately, along with fresh vegitables if available.

[The 4/10 man menu sheet is about A4 in size, but this is the only scan I have]

Modern 24 Hour Operational Ration Packs are 'Biol in the bag' with added items, as described here:

http://www.qinetiq.com/home_qcdn/articles.Par.14077.File.pdf

Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/7/2010, 13:16

Wow Mike. Long time since I've seen the 10 man sheet, but I think I still have one of those can openers lying around somewhere. Never got issued with a 4 man pack. We, the Tech det at Div, would be issued 1x 10 man pack to last each week of a scheme. Supposedly because we worked shifts and couldn't make it to the "normal" meals, if there was such a thing on scheme.

I joined slightly before your time although the first 3 years was as an Apprentice, so I remember the change in ration packs. As I recall, and my memory is not infallible nowadays Rolling Eyes the only real change was in the letters used. For the temperate ration packs they changed to A to G (were there really that many?) from something like V to Z. As you say much the same contents, although again I don't remember instant coffee in them. We always bought a huge jar from the NAAFI for scheme. The tea was discarded as well because it was tea-leaves, not tea-bags. Too much messing about to brew.

I also notice that the leaflet you show for the 10 man pack is rev 1981. No M&V or Irish Stew etc. Talking of which, earlier in the thread Brum was slagging these off, for good reason. We always used to try and get the Irish Stew pack, not because we were fans of Irish Stew, although it was slightly more palatable than some of the others, but because the other stuff seemed to be better. i.e. fruit gums instead of boiled sweets, fruit & nut instead of Carsons ordinary chocolate etc.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/7/2010, 13:42

I know memory is an individul thing, but 10 Man Packs of the 70' & 80's (M&V went out in about 1972ish) The 1981 Menu is only a minor change from the earler 1976 issue.

They did have tea bags and I do not ever remember getting loose tea leaves, but the were BIG Tea Bags to make about a half pint to a pint at a time. Also small packs of coffee.

I have some images I will post later, as I am preparing a page for the BAOR-Locations site on the subject, which I hope will cover WWII to 'Cold War' Rations & RAOC Bread! [Probably a link to the page in preperation]

WANTED - A picture of RAOC Bread Wrapper, plus sad I know, even a wrapper if anyone has one? In fact anything original document wise.

Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/7/2010, 16:24

I'm pretty sure that the tea came in the half-size tins and it was just full of tea-leaves, I never saw tea-bags during my time in BAOR. Perhaps the industrial size tea-bags were a separate issue and weren't actually included in the packs. And deffo no instant coffee. As I said we had to buy our own.

BTW, don't forget that before RAOC it was RASC who were responsible for rations.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/7/2010, 16:57

Pre 1968 there may have been loose tea, but from 72ish onwards I can only remember teabags in all boxed ration packs, along with foil sachets of coffee, tube or tin of condensed milk or milk powder & suger[tin of in 5/10 packs] but never enough for a CP etc, and we used to have a tin of coffee in our Stores Section as well. Sometimes the coffee was removed by the RQMS Staff!! But not at Combat Supplies Battlion as we shifted it by the pallet load!

Food & Compo - Page 2 4manFood & Compo - Page 2 10man
Examples of 'mid 1970's' Contents of 4 & 10 Man packs.
Note the Gold coloured tins with printed contents on lids [no labels to lose]

Agree that contents changed over the years, but 'Brew Kit' was added from 1970 onwards with Tea, Coffee, Milk & Suger as standard.

Yes I am aware that the RASC distributed rations prior to 1965, as well as 1st & 2nd Line Combat Supplies, Butchers, Bakers, Pet Ops & Staff Clerks all of which transfered to RAOC after the McLoad re-org.

LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/7/2010, 17:16

To bring subject up to date. Here is a menu list for the 1990 'Boil in the bag' Operational Ration Pack which contained 3 foil packed meals with the same sort of extras you used to get in the 'tinned' 24 hour pack.

Food & Compo - Page 2 Brat-24-orp-menu

Contents were revised again in 2005 for use in Afgainistan.

Still look for more info on older WWII Rations, and 1950 -1960s Packs.

Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/7/2010, 18:57

the only item i ever remember seeing a lable on was the large tins of red salmon,[mid 60s] another item wich was [in my opinion] quite nice was the chicken supreme. PS the tiffin chocolate was also very acceptable.
Back to top Go down
john mcmillan
WOI
WOI
john mcmillan

Number of posts : 125
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : JOINED JTR RHYL JAN 63-64l Mulhiem/Hilden 64-65/ RAF Seleta 65/RAF Kuching 66 000000000000000000 JTR RHYL JAN-DEC 1963 , YEOVL JAN-MARCH 64, 17 COY MULHIEM / 17 SQN. HILDEN , RAF SELETA NOV 65 ,, RAF KUCHING JAN - APRIL 66 ( GSM BORNEO RAAF Butterworth 66-68/RAF Changi 68 RAF Colerne/RAF Lyneham 68-70
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/7/2010, 23:18

WHO COULD FORGET TUBES OF GREENGAUGE JAM, LOOKED LIKE YOUR TOOTHPASTE HAD GONE OFF!
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 10:04

Religious variants? What happened to take it or leave it? Meat free? Never knew a vegetarian squaddie myself. What happened to the army?
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 10:15

I loved the RAOC Bread, fresh from the ovens, lovely. I quite like all the compo really, and I remember some of the earlier stuff that Dad used to bring home after being on ex.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 10:25

Knew you would like that one TeaBag!

FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 12:13

The sight of those compo tins takes me back.
I can smell the pine needles and diesel again !
(Oh the joy of "filling up" with Jerricans under a cam net !)
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

Number of posts : 99
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Yeovil, Bunde, Lubbecke,camp du larzac, norway,rct winter training centre hinterstien, Aldershot,
Registration date : 2009-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 12:31

have been reading with interest and amusment the lists and menus of compo like you brum it takes you back, as a driver a lot of the times we would cook our grub on the move heating up the tins on the engine block.

my favourite was apricot pudding a suet type based pudding no sign of it on any of the menus,if left to long to heat up on the engine you would need a hammer and chisel to eat it.

never been a tea drinker only coffee so on excercise would always have stashed a couple of bottles of camp coffee in my truck but that was in the sixties in the seventies coffee was available.

because we carried the compo out to the excercises we would make sure we got out the choclate and other goodies sorry boys always had a sweet tooth.

paul.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 12:54

I can't remember an Apricot pudding Paul, the only suet - type delicacy that comes to mind is the good old "Snake & Sid".
We had a genius who thought it would be a good idea to heat the compo up in the exhaust of our 432 Mk 2. Unfortunately he never told me so, after a long static charge, I gave the engine a good "rev" and the cans disappeared into the night !
(No great loss, probably "Mutton Jock" anyway).

brum
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 12:58

Babies heads, Yum Yum
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 13:45

Just spotted the "Religious variants" teabag.
When I were a lad it was the cry "Fall in the RCs, C of Es Salvationists, Jews, Agnostics,Buckshees and F***ing Pharisees"!
We got treated the same, whatever we were doing.

brum
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 16:50

Was not Mixed Fruit Pudding (A & E) and Apple Pudding (C & G) not a suet type pudding?

Steak & Kidney Pudding was also know as Snake n' Pygmy or as Jim says Babies Eads'

Tinned Tomarto's was also know as 'Train Crash'

Any others?

Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 19:37

I found it amusing that A) compo came with "menus" ("and what will Sir be dining on tonight?" ehehehe) and B) some of you kept the menus, and the compo rations!, as souvenirs!!! Bit of a weird lot we got hanging around here....
Back to top Go down
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

Number of posts : 119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : UK/BAOR
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Compo!   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 19:44

Do you remember the tins of chocolate, packed out with Rowntrees Fruit Gums to stop the chocolate from rattling about?
We always exchanged the chocs for fresh eggs when arriving on location for a scheme.
I used to lust after the tinned bacon, although the interleaved cellophane was a bit tough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food & Compo
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next