BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:04 by Sheilhenry

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 37 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 37 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Food & Compo

Go down 
+21
ciphers
Tom Withers
gingerjim
Shelldrake
RAF GATOW
sapper0938
Norman
brrowe
Stephen Lock
oldtimer
john mcmillan
recce83
JPW
Mike_2817
brum
Teabag
whitehorse660
dandc
mjm34
Hardrations
jim
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Norman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 57
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Hildesheim, Hannover.
Registration date : 2009-10-19

Food & Compo - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 20:31

Steak and Kidney pud was always one of my favourites followed by bacon grill at breakfast. But one one occasion at the end of an exercise the cooks were running short on the last day out and we had to have Steak and Kidney for breakfast. It lost a bit of its appeal at 6 am!!

Noch ein bier,

Norman.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 21:06

Stephen Lock wrote:
I found it amusing that A) compo came with "menus" ("and what will Sir be dining on tonight?" ehehehe) and B) some of you kept the menus, and the compo rations!, as souvenirs!!! Bit of a weird lot we got hanging around here....

I take it you are referring to me sir? as I posted all the menu's and pictures of compo...

So for your information, I will tell you while I do collect papers referring to the former Ordnance Corps, I am also a volunteer and researcher for the RLC Museum, and the compo shots came from my reseach papers.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 10:43

brrowe wrote:
Do you remember the tins of chocolate, packed out with Rowntrees Fruit Gums to stop the chocolate from rattling about?
We always exchanged the chocs for fresh eggs when arriving on location for a scheme.
I used to lust after the tinned bacon, although the interleaved cellophane was a bit tough.

You were supposed to remove the cellophane I think Wink
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 13:20

We used to get so frustrated with the mess that the whole bacon/plastic caboodle used to end up in the gash pit.
I often wonder how the wild boar used to get on when they tried eating the stuff !
Back to top Go down
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

Number of posts : 119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : UK/BAOR
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Compo Bacon!   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 10:00

Strangely, Compo bacon wasn't entirely new to me.
I remember my mother buying tins of the stuff in the early fifties, from our local Co-op.
Must have been WD surplus stock, so I actually enjoyed the stuff, and used to eat it straight out of the tin, on bread (yes, I did remove the cellophane.)
Also the "hard tack" biscuits were an old friend too. I remember seeing a sign outside a shop in the late 40s announcing "Biscuits on sale here". Thinking that I was doing my parents a favour I spent all the money they had given me for whatever I had gone to the shops for originally, and bought about a dozen packets of the things.
You can imagine the result, I had to take the lot back. I think the shopkeeper took pity on me as I was only about nine at that time, he and refunded the money.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 12:18

I think rationing was still in effect till July 1954 so things like tinned bacon and preserves used to have a lower points value?
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 13:13

brum wrote:
We used to get so frustrated with the mess that the whole bacon/plastic caboodle used to end up in the gash pit.
I often wonder how the wild boar used to get on when they tried eating the stuff !

I can't quite recollect the name now, but we used to have an exercise based near a Schloss, they had wild boar in the (empty) moat, they would eat anything Brum, our cooks used to just tip all the old food over the side and it'd be gone in seconds.

I never knew they sold Compo from shops, but I was in Germany anyway.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 13:41

That moat sounds nightmarish Jim. You didn't have any officers disappear, did you?
I was born in '41 and can't remember seeing army rations in the shops. Sounds like a bit of the old Black Market in action there !!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 15:21

LOL Brum,

No being a Staff Clerk I was lucky, the Officers quickly learned to be nice to us if they wanted good service. Smile

I did wonder about the black market bit myself.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 22:08

Is it possible that the same people who did 'Tinned Bacon' or othe compo delites also sold to the public at the time?

Whestlers do 'Cook in the bag' for the Army but also sell under that name in camping shops, with nice labels!
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 05:04

Mike_2817 wrote:
Stephen Lock wrote:
I found it amusing that A) compo came with "menus" ("and what will Sir be dining on tonight?" ehehehe) and B) some of you kept the menus, and the compo rations!, as souvenirs!!! Bit of a weird lot we got hanging around here....

I take it you are referring to me sir? as I posted all the menu's and pictures of compo...

So for your information, I will tell you while I do collect papers referring to the former Ordnance Corps, I am also a volunteer and researcher for the RLC Museum, and the compo shots came from my reseach papers.

Aahhhhh....well, yes, I can certainly see the items being used as archival material and such, absolutely. Makes a tad more sense than a private individual keeping them, as interesting as that would be. Not at the beginning, of course, but years and years later to have them, sure!

I mean, I found it odd to picture your average squaddie actually saving such things. But then who knows what individuals will collect.

Certainly no insult intended....just bit of chain yanking :-)
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 09:08

I have very little left from my Army service, and what I do have is mainly by accident. Mike though has a marvellous store of really interesting items Stephen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 10:37

I have boxes of collected junk from my service days.Even have the pt 2 orders of my promotions .How sad is that??
Must find out when the local kids are having a bonfire.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 12:13

I have my pfile, some interesting stuff in there. LOL.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 16:49

jim wrote:
I have very little left from my Army service, and what I do have is mainly by accident. Mike though has a marvellous store of really interesting items Stephen.

Some people save stamps!

I collect Militaria Stephen, heres a link to my project pages:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike.comerford/ORDNANCE/index.htm
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/7/2010, 09:17

I have that bookmarked in my favourites Mike, always nice to have a nostalgic wander round that page.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/7/2010, 09:34

Interesting stuff
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/7/2010, 12:08

Yes it's a great read Gordon.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/7/2010, 19:37

Mike

I agree it is a veritable treasure trove of interesting items

I know who to turn to when I start to tackle the subject of RAOC major units in Schleswig Holstein!!
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/7/2010, 13:13

We also have a very active RAOC Forum @ www.raoconline.com where members of units can be contacted.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/7/2010, 19:39

Mike_2817 wrote:
jim wrote:

Some people save stamps!

I collect Militaria Stephen, heres a link to my project pages:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike.comerford/ORDNANCE/index.htm

Both my parents collected things, as did I. Bit of a packrat actually, at one time.

Dad collected Militaria as well....had one of the most extensive collections of cap badges and related items in Canada before he died, with some rare pieces he'd managed to track down.

Mom collected Coronation Mugs then eventually expanded out into Royal Commemoratives in general. When she died her collection numbered close to 200 items, some going back as far as Victoria's Silver Jubilee!

I collected Beatlemania, mainly, but was known to collect just about anything that caught my fancy....books (had a few old books, one dating to 1753, a leatherbound Latin textbook. I paid a dollar for it in 1969!)....German souvenirs (those little steins, ashtrays, etc one could pick up at any tourist trap in the country, with painted views of, for instance, the Mohnesee on them or the Osthofentor in Soest etc). Sadly, I've lost all that stuff now.....gone.....

Dad's collection was sold off by mom after he died to another collector. She got enough for it, she once told me, for a downpayment on a quite nice condo out in Victoria, so I'm guessing it was in the double digit thousands (10-20 thousand, probably!)

So, yes, I do understand the collection bug, absolutely! Even as a packrat myself, though, it always surprising me what people will collect.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 11:03

Hmm,

seems I don't have the bug, not unless you count hoarding books as collecting.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 12:12

The love of books is bibliophilia, and someone who loves to read, admire, and collect books is a bibliophile. So yes you have Jim.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 13:03

I knew that Mike, I was just keeping it simple for the board. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 22:08

You have been outed Jim - You can read LoL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food & Compo   Food & Compo - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Food & Compo
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next