BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 73 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 73 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR

Go down 
+20
'granny'
"john boy"
williambanks
graham wright
tommy16
pinky
Les Pattenden
Ian
steve jones
Stephen Lock
woody
steve
Hardrations
ciphers
jimsigs1
ChrisP
brum
Teabag
Shelldrake
alan8376
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Empty
PostSubject: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 00:22

I recollect whilst in Dortmund around 1959, we had entertainers vist to put on shows for the troops and families..I remember seeing Frankie Vaughan (Green Door). Met him backstage (and got an autographed photo) through my Dad, who had something to do with the visit, working with Station Staff Officer. Also remember Winifred Atwell coming to Dortmund. She was not my style. Embarassed

Do you blokes have recollection of entertainers visiting BAOR? afro Not Michael Jackson ! afro lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 07:12

We had a visit sometime in the early 60s..Can`t remember who were there,but the show had just got under way when an Exercise Quicktrain was called.Lots of pissed off people running around.
Perhaps jimsigs could expand on this.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 08:31

Mike and Bernie Winters at Roberts Barracks around mid seventies!
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 08:58

Jim Davdison,RAF Gutersloh 1986. Sad Sad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 09:09

Morcambe and Wise. Well I am lying actually because they came to Catterick and not Germany. 75 years of the Royal Signals at Catterick celebrations. The Queen came too!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 09:58

Hopp haus, Hohne, (on the tank road), 1970.

Pinned to the door of one of the upstairs rooms "L/Bdr Secombe slept here, admission 2 marks".

I didn't see him, would've liked to.
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 11:37

Matt Monro at the SKC Sennelager. Smoked on stage, was told not to, because you could smoke anywhere in those days - except cinemas in Germany. Jokingly said he could 'cos he was a star! During the song 'Yesterday' went down on one knee and picked up the butt! Priceless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 12:11

Teabag.....Were there still Royal Signals units at Catterick in the 90s??
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 12:14

Teabag wrote:
Morcambe and Wise. Well I am lying actually because they came to Catterick and not Germany. 75 years of the Royal Signals at Catterick celebrations. The Queen came too!

What did she do then, a stand up spot ? A bit of song & dance maybe ?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 14:19

HM the Queen doesn't come, she arrives. Mike and Bernie Winters were at the Glasgow Empire in the 50's, Mike came on and did his singing bit, when he had finished, Bernie put his head round the Fire Curtain and said something "Funny", at this juncture a member of the audience shouted "F*** me, there's two of them".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 17:13

Quote :
The Glasgow Empire i

The ultimate testing ground for entertainers..
Not many passed the test. Laughing
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Number of posts : 1298
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 19:12

Hi Gordon,

Can't remember any entertainers visiting Germany when I was there, but do remember the Exercise Quickrain sagas.
Was in the AKC in Herford one evening (the one near either Wentworth or Hammersmith barracks), the film was half way through when a notice went up on the screen "Exercise Quicktrain - all troops to report to their units". There was pandamonium, the Sqn OC was waiting at the camp gates of Maresfield checking to see who had a driving licence - "Get that vehicle over there moving go go go") So we had the wrong trade people in the wrong vehicles etc, just so that a a given number of vehicles with men could be moved to the Quicktrain location in the target time - phewww ! what a a carve up.

Jimsigs1
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime20/4/2011, 23:42

I remember Dorothy Squires the singer visiting us in BAOR with her latest hanger on (Roger Moore) in 1953. Then Charley Chester in Korea, the Yanks got Marilyn Monroe .. some trade off

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime21/4/2011, 02:37

The only entertainment I can remember being supplied to the Canadian troops in Germany (up north) would be some Colonel in Chief having a review parade and scamming off on a tax free shopping trip with a free trip over seas to buck up the men's moral. Mind I got to see King Pierre Trudeau (our then P.M.) in Lahr in all his glory, " pimp hat and cloak", so I guess that would count as entertainment.

We did get Tommy Hunter & Ann Murray, but that was paid for by the Junior. Ranks Mess in Lahr. There was one Jnr Ranks Mess in Lahr and it had all the major units in it less the Snake Eaters and fighter Sqn up in Baden Baden. So we could afford top line entertainment.

In the Mess was a small lounge that had Go Go Dancers. I did a radio show at the time over CAFE for the Junior Ranks Mess. Interviewed one of the Managers of a Go Go Dancer who had been a DJ on one of the Pirate Radio Ships. That was entertainment, he had some neat stories about the ships.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime21/4/2011, 09:56

Gordon. wrote:
Teabag.....Were there still Royal Signals units at Catterick in the 90s??

Okay got it wrong it must have been 50 years. 1975 ish so probably that. Getting on a bit now you know but not nearly as old as you so there. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime21/4/2011, 12:13

I was not insinuating that you were losing your marbles Teabag.. Wink Just wondering what might have been left at catterick.I don`t know what happened to 8 or 24 Sigs.I know 11 Sigs moved to Blandford but that`s about it.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime21/4/2011, 15:56

24 Sigs? Blimey they were well gone when I joined. 8 and 11 only. Probably thought 75 because it was 1975 (my excuse honest sir).

Last time I drove through Catterick everything was totally different. Think Helles barracks was infantry? Can't remember what 8th Signal Regt's different barracks had become.
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime21/4/2011, 17:07

My last time in 24 Sigs was April-June 1970 on my B2-B1 ED (educated driver) upgrading according to Royal Signals history the regiment amalgamated with 8 Sigs 1 Nov 70 in turn amalgamated with 11 Sigs in 1994...hope this helps!
Happy Easter from the Cuxhaven peninsular
Steve study
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
woody
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 24
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : JTR Rhyl, Minden, NI Tours.
Registration date : 2011-01-23

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime22/4/2011, 16:49

Ok, Im going to lower the tone a bit, I recall a couple of strippers visiting the camp, the Cookhouse was converted into a nightclub, complete with bar, and a good night was had by all !. A lot of 'entertainment' in our Sqn was home grown, a few of the lads formed a rock n role band, ( a sort of Shawaddy Squaddy ) and they were'nt half bad as i remember, or was it the beer ?.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime22/4/2011, 18:02

Strippers? In the camp??? Whoa! Something tells me that was probably not officially sanctioned! Mind you, it was a different era....
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime22/4/2011, 18:10

Striptease Gals!! Harrumph, dontcha know. What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime23/4/2011, 06:45

woody wrote:
Ok, Im going to lower the tone a bit, I recall a couple of strippers visiting the camp, the Cookhouse was converted into a nightclub, complete with bar, and a good night was had by all !. A lot of 'entertainment' in our Sqn was home grown, a few of the lads formed a rock n role band, ( a sort of Shawaddy Squaddy ) and they were'nt half bad as i remember, or was it the beer ?.

GAWD, Strippers? Shelldrake, I hope that did not happen at the Junior Leaders Regt.
Embarassed

Never saw that sort of thing at AAS Chepstow, we were good lads, the RE and RAOC apprentices. bounce Laughing
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime23/4/2011, 07:57

Les, I was a Junior Tradesman! Sniff. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime23/4/2011, 08:13

At Harrogate there was a girls boarding school (Queen Ethelburgers or something like that ) just down the road..The boiler room was a nice cosy place to spend an evening. Embarassed

If caught ..brown stuff and fan come to mind
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime23/4/2011, 21:31

If caught ..brown stuff and fan come to mind[/quote]

Don't leave us hanging Gordon !

Is this some ancient Scottish ritual ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR   ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ENTERTAINERS VISITING BAOR
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next