BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 26 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 26 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

5 Ordnance Battalion

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

5 Ordnance Battalion Empty
PostSubject: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime22/10/2008, 20:15

I spent four happy years at Paderborn, good unit and a good town, it was a good posting. Although Bn HQ was in Barker Barracks and we were quartered just behind Barker Barracks (Uhland Strasse) I worked at Depot 90 in Normandy Barracks Sennelager.

Happy days.
Back to top Go down
nobby clark
WOI
WOI
nobby clark

Number of posts : 102
Cap Badge : 1R.Hamps / RAOC
Places Served : baor-Hong Kong-Malaya-Borneo-Belize-F.I.-Cyprus-N.I.-UK.
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime27/10/2008, 13:36

I too lived in Uhland Strasse,the flats were brand new in '80 when we moved in,the only downside was the commute to Pombsen every day,we started later and finished earlier than anyone else so we could put up with it.
It was an excellent unit,up there with Hong Kong and 11OFP.
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime28/10/2008, 07:10

Hi Nobby, I only ever went to Pombsen once, to compete in an inter company run. I'm told the depot is derelict now, as are a lot of old barracks & camps in Germany sadly.

When I was at Soltau (1ADOC) we had to go on a parade at Ironside Barracks (early 1980) cant remember exactly what the parade was for but it was something to do with 7/11 OFP. The resident German unit put on quite a spread for us after the parade. We were bussed back to Soltau singing our heads off and dressed largely in German kit, LOL. Happy days.
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime29/10/2008, 13:00

Anyone been to Barker recently? if so, what's the new building thats appeared, I left in 1989 and it wasn't there then!

(Through main gate turn left immediately past the guardroom and it's there. Large grey roofed building)

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=51.721452&lon=8.785522&z=16&v=2
Back to top Go down
john96
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime7/11/2008, 13:51

Guys, can help with both questions!
The new build in Barker is a PAYD cookhouse which replaced the 2 original ones, and Pömbsen camp is getting used as a private test track for cars.
Supposedly a few mil Euros will be spent doing the place up!
See www.bilster-berg.de
Back to top Go down
nobby clark
WOI
WOI
nobby clark

Number of posts : 102
Cap Badge : 1R.Hamps / RAOC
Places Served : baor-Hong Kong-Malaya-Borneo-Belize-F.I.-Cyprus-N.I.-UK.
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime10/11/2008, 14:18

Thats Pombsen right enough,to think I used to hurtle at breakneck speed round the circut on the MHE Police Tractor to apprehend any Hyster operators breaking the rules.
Well we had to do something to pass the time.
Back to top Go down
Paddyb
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 13
Cap Badge : former RA,
Places Served : Paderborn, Barnard Castle, Munsterlager, Sennelager
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime14/2/2009, 14:30

The new cookhouse in Barker Barracks is called "Chard's Restaurant". It is operated under the Pay as you dine (PAYD) scheme by NAAFI - currently any one working on camp (incl locally employed civilians) may purchase meals in there. Generally meals are good value and there are arrangements for soldiers who have run out of money to get a core-meal on credit (to be taken out of his pay in the next month's pay run) or for duty personnel to get a ticket for no cost core-meals. The NAAFi's on camp have bhad facelifts and comprise (as a rule) an express shop, a take-out food point, a bistro style coffee bar called "Forum", a bar and recreation area, a fruit machine paradise with vending machines [24/7]. Strangely a sandwich baguette put togethere to take out frommthe hot-plate is a third of the price of a similar item from any other food outlet. Nowadays a soldier can phone from his quarter or his block and NAAFI will deliver a take-out meal!!
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 08:03

Paddyb wrote:
The new cookhouse in Barker Barracks is called "Chard's Restaurant". It is operated under the Pay as you dine (PAYD) scheme by NAAFI - currently any one working on camp (incl locally employed civilians) may purchase meals in there. Generally meals are good value and there are arrangements for soldiers who have run out of money to get a core-meal on credit (to be taken out of his pay in the next month's pay run) or for duty personnel to get a ticket for no cost core-meals. The NAAFi's on camp have bhad facelifts and comprise (as a rule) an express shop, a take-out food point, a bistro style coffee bar called "Forum", a bar and recreation area, a fruit machine paradise with vending machines [24/7]. Strangely a sandwich baguette put togethere to take out frommthe hot-plate is a third of the price of a similar item from any other food outlet. Nowadays a soldier can phone from his quarter or his block and NAAFI will deliver a take-out meal!!

Hi Paddy, thats incredible! things have certainly moved on since I left in 1992.

This PAYD scheme.... does this mean food charges for the single lads are no longer deducted from pay?
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 14:05

Andrew wrote:
Paddyb wrote:

Hi Paddy, thats incredible! things have certainly moved on since I left in 1992.

This PAYD scheme.... does this mean food charges for the single lads are no longer deducted from pay?

Yep, it does exactly what it says on the tin................well nearly! Joking aside the lads only pay for what they eat, concept is good unless like 'Falling-Bar-Stool' NAAFI get the contract and fcuk it right up, or am I being a tad unfair? No just being honest!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 15:32

Are you having a "Giraffe" or what mate...LOL. Soprano I couldn't resist. Some time ago you suggested I was having a "Giraffe" at which point I very nearly spat a very nice Merlot all over the key board, however...

So, if NAAFI are providing meals on a pay as you eat deal, what's happened to the ACC? wait yes I know they were swallowed up by the RLC weren't they, but are cooks employed by the MoD or NAAFI?
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 15:43

Andrew wrote:
Are you having a "Giraffe" or what mate...LOL. Soprano I couldn't resist. Some time ago you suggested I was having a "Giraffe" at which point I very nearly spat a very nice Merlot all over the key board, however...

So, if NAAFI are providing meals on a pay as you eat deal, what's happened to the ACC? wait yes I know they were swallowed up by the RLC weren't they, but are cooks employed by the MoD or NAAFI?

Andrew - Right please take a seat, put your feet up, pour yourself a nice glass of rouge, relax slightly, pin your fcuking ears back and let me explain! affraid The 'Slop Jockeys' (no offence) are still in business and IMHO are having to work with materials (food) Sad that are below par from what they were used to, the one bloke who is employed by the 'Col Gadaffi' is the 'Chief Chip (Masterchef)! Funny old thing most of the civvy PAYD staff on the management side working for them are ex Army chefs (poachers turned gamekeepers) and they also employ people from UK and locally. There are some good threads over on the ARRSE site that cover this topic very well!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 16:23

So do PAYD staff go where the army goes?

I'll have a look on the ARRSE site, cheers. Btw, I am actually draining a bottle of Blackberry wine (yes Blackberry wine) from the Lyme Bay winery picked it up at Trentham Gardens yesterday, it's OK but at £8.50 a bottle I can safely say I wont be buying any more. Sainsbugs are doing a lovely Chilean red for £3.50 a bottle.

Christ I hope I dont sound like that screaming ponce Oz Clark!
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 16:56

Andrew wrote:
So do PAYD staff go where the army goes?

I'll have a look on the ARRSE site, cheers. Btw, I am actually draining a bottle of Blackberry wine (yes Blackberry wine) from the Lyme Bay winery picked it up at Trentham Gardens yesterday, it's OK but at £8.50 a bottle I can safely say I wont be buying any more. Sainsbugs are doing a lovely Chilean red for £3.50 a bottle.

Christ I hope I dont sound like that screaming ponce Oz Clark!

You do , were you in Paderborn at the same time as 3RTR?
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 17:49

HaHaaaaaaaaa you toerag.

I was at Barker with 5 Ord Bn when 3 RTR where there but shortly after I arrived 3 RTR left and 5th Skinns took over...

...at last a propper cavalry regiment.
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 18:29

Andrew wrote:
HaHaaaaaaaaa you toerag.

I was at Barker with 5 Ord Bn when 3 RTR where there but shortly after I arrived 3 RTR left and 5th Skinns took over...

Yeah you're right, we're not Cav BTW!
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 19:46

soprano54 wrote:
Andrew wrote:
HaHaaaaaaaaa you toerag.

Ah yes, my mistake apologies.

I had a huge bust up with a bloke from 4 RTR, he was a decent bloke until he had a drink, a real jekyll & Hyde character. Not sure if it was something to do with him sitting in a tank all day or the fact that he was a big thick jock git. We did eventually end up as mates, actually he turned out to be a good lad. I still remember his name, from 28 years ago. Strange the things you remember.
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 20:30

Andrew wrote:
soprano54 wrote:
Andrew wrote:
HaHaaaaaaaaa you toerag.

Ah yes, my mistake apologies.

I had a huge bust up with a bloke from 4 RTR, he was a decent bloke until he had a drink, a real jekyll & Hyde character. Not sure if it was something to do with him sitting in a tank all day or the fact that he was a big thick jock git. We did eventually end up as mates, actually he turned out to be a good lad. I still remember his name, from 28 years ago. Strange the things you remember.

Well go on then the suspence is killing me FFS! Mad
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 20:37

Frank McCafferty.

Big lad who wore specs and was as nice as your fave auntie, untill the sherry came out.
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime8/3/2009, 21:30

Name doesn't ring a bell!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 Ordnance Battalion   5 Ordnance Battalion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5 Ordnance Battalion
Page 1 of 1