BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 60 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 60 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Memories of Toc H

Go down 
+26
Dulaigh
pinky
pete26
gingerjim
Wilf
bigmal
Shelldrake
rucjock21
steve
brum
Mike_2817
BigJock
AlienFTM
Nobby
mjm34
Stephen Lock
Rocky
jerry
BobG
Paul
alan8376
ciphers
bucketsfull
Ian-redcap70
recymech
Whitty
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime3/1/2009, 07:45

Hi all

I am researching the history of the organisation Toc H and would love to hear your memories of its work with BAOR. Any stories or anecdotes gratefully received at steve@largeinnorfolk.com

Thanks

Steve Smith
Toc H - Norfolk Activities
Back to top Go down
Whitty
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime28/12/2009, 16:34

Best Egg N Cress Sarnies ever ..thats my fondest memory of TOC H
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Number of posts : 81
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime28/12/2009, 19:51

Used to get a fantastic full English with tea and toast complete with a sunday paper in Paderborn for 6 Dm, great hangover kit.
Back to top Go down

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime28/12/2009, 20:18

Tea and sticky buns on Sunday Mornings at Gremmendorf, while scanning through the Sunday papers.
Back to top Go down
Ian-redcap70
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Ian-redcap70

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Bielefeld, Colchester
Registration date : 2007-08-16

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime29/12/2009, 00:02

Summer 1953.The TocH tea van and ladies turning up in the middle of nowhere whilst we we on field exercises! The Yanks (enemy) took arial photos of us all lined up waiting for our cuppa!
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcap70.net

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime29/12/2009, 10:28

We (RAF)used to say"Dim as a Toc H lamp"What is the origin of that?
Back to top Go down

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime29/12/2009, 13:00

Back to top Go down

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime29/12/2009, 13:15

Gordon. wrote:
http://www.greatwar.co.uk/ypres-salient/museum-talbot-house-history.htm

Many thanks for that Gordon,we are always learning.
Back to top Go down

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime29/12/2009, 15:37

Now i know what Toc H is lol
Back to top Go down
bucketsfull
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-11-30

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime29/12/2009, 20:54

I remember a TOC H in Cologne around 1951 time with the RA, great for the cuppa and wad, also newspaper came with it hahah
Back to top Go down

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime29/12/2009, 23:31

I spent four years in West Germany and never heard of it. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime30/12/2009, 06:44

Neither did I .. two years in Munster (1952/4) , never saw Toc H in any location.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime30/12/2009, 08:18

I think depending on your location it varied, some had Salvation Army, Red Shield or YMCA. I can't remember ALL the various names. I think in general, ALL were church based.

'Good Bless' all those organisations who suported the forces, and still are, no matter where the servicemen and women were, especially in the years immediately following the War.

PS. Must not forget the Naafi, who supported the guys in the Falklands and other dangerous places.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime30/12/2009, 14:12

ciphers wrote:
Neither did I .. two years in Munster (1952/4) , never saw Toc H in any location.

Len (Ciphers)

There was one apparently - but when I am not sure. Date the car in the photograph, and it will give an approximate time.

Paul.

Memories of Toc H Toc20210
Back to top Go down

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime30/12/2009, 14:23

www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Munster says "TocH just outside York"Don't regognise the house from my time there 1979-1988.

Auto looks like a new Ford Popular,early 50s would be my guess.
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime30/12/2009, 17:14

there was a Toc H in Verden located in the Cavalry Bks in town, what happened to it when the bks were handed over I dont know.
Bob
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime30/12/2009, 21:00

Sure looks like a 50's vintage Ford, they were still producing the line (Popular, Prefect, etc) in 1957 to my memory .. but as for York, I'm supposing they are talking of York Barracks or Gremmendorf Kaserne as we knew it during my days there at 20 Armoured Brigade 1952/54, don't recognize the house at all.

Best 'church' canteen I knew was the Church of (Jock's) Scotland which was located close to Ypres and Gaza lines in Catterick, good food, free if you pleaded poverty .. and the worst was the YMCA in Newton Abbott when the Signals Depot Regt was there, miserable, toffee nosed buggers ran that one, I think they actually despised squaddies.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime8/1/2010, 21:50

I seem to remember a Toc H in Hemer and a Red Shield in Dortmund....or was it the other way round ?
Pardon ?
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime8/1/2010, 22:54

bazza wrote:
I seem to remember a Toc H in Hemer and a Red Shield in Dortmund....or was it the other way round ?
Pardon ?

I think that it was the other way round scratch Was there not a Red Shield Club on the main drag through Hemer?

Near the end of Honnetal Strasse there was a level crossing (with the wooden Polizei); across that to the crossroads, turn right and the Commerz Bank was set back off the road slightly on the RH side, and the Red Shield (or Church Army) was a bit further down on the same side. I seem to remember that there was a record shop near enough opposite on the other side of the road!

Paul.
Back to top Go down

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 12:36

Thanks Paul. My wires crossed again !
Baz.
Back to top Go down
jerry
WOI
WOI
jerry

Number of posts : 186
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Dortmund/Hameln/ Malaya FARELF Marchwood Aldershot Yeovil
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 13:38

bazza wrote:
Pardon ?
Hi Bazza
In Dortmund was it near to Napier, if so, we called it the Stonk Club. ring any bells ?
Jerry Smile
Back to top Go down

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 17:00

Hi Jerry
I can't remember much about Dortmund I'm afraid, I wasn't there long before being posted on.
I've just noticed your age.An old school friend of mine was in the RASC in FARELF in'60/61, before that in 55 Coy. When were you in Malaya mate?
Baz.
Back to top Go down
jerry
WOI
WOI
jerry

Number of posts : 186
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Dortmund/Hameln/ Malaya FARELF Marchwood Aldershot Yeovil
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 18:42

bazza wrote:
Hi Jerry
I can't remember much about Dortmund I'm afraid, I wasn't there long before being posted on.
I've just noticed your age.An old school friend of mine was in the RASC in FARELF in'60/61, before that in 55 Coy. When were you in Malaya mate?
Baz.

I was 3 Coy in Ipoh/Terendak Malacca 1961- 64
Did an air loader course in 61 with 55 in Seletar
By the way my Great Grandfather was Artillery served in Barbados and Gibralta my Grandfather was born in Woolwich. way back in 1860-80 ish Smile
Back to top Go down
Rocky
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 18:56

There was a Toc H on Furstenweg in Paderborn. It's been levelled and is now a carpark and there was one on Seeburgerallee in Berlin just up the road from Spandau.

Have to agree about the egg and cress rolls. For some reason, the TocH put out much better scoff than NAAFI and if I recall, they were cheaper than NAAFI as well. They were also very popular with the Toms. I am aware that NAAFI saw off the Red Shield and the WRVS when they brought Pay as You Dine into Germany, but I think Toc H bailed out of Germany way before then.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime9/1/2010, 20:07

Bazza -- I can't speak to whether there was a Toc H in Hemer or Dortmund as I am not at all familiar with the outfit, however, I do know there was a Red Shield Club in Hemer (affiliated with, or actually was, the Sally Ann) down on the Hauptstrasse. I think it was still there under the British as well....

There was also one in Soest on Bruederstrasse, the pedestrian mall, but I am pretty sure it closed down when the Canadians left the region.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Memories of Toc H Empty
PostSubject: Re: Memories of Toc H   Memories of Toc H Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Memories of Toc H
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next