BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
A strange request from me. Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 43 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 43 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

A strange request from me.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

A strange request from me. Empty
PostSubject: A strange request from me.   A strange request from me. Icon_minitime28/9/2009, 17:13

This is going to sound rather strange but don't worry, there is a "trick-cyclist" place about 15 miles from me, and I have them on 15 minutes notice to get me Very Happy

I am looking for photographs of German-built Barrack blocks, especially the attic windows. Even better if they show how they blend in to the pitch of the roof.

It is in connection with my trying to assist the late Keith Bradbury's daughter (See the Six Months Extra thread) . I am looking for a particular shape of roofline.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: A strange request from me.   A strange request from me. Icon_minitime28/9/2009, 18:33

Is this what you are looking for Paul .. or is it a Section Eight ??

Len (Ciphers)
Wentworth Barracks - Herford 1952
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

PostSubject: Re: A strange request from me.   A strange request from me. Icon_minitime28/9/2009, 18:39

That is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for. I am trying to get hold of the photograph that she apparently has showing part of the block with the attic windows. if I do, I will post it.

As for the Section 8, if it means what I think, that will come later along with the padded room bounce

Paul.
Back to top Go down
ScaleyAlbereto
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 9
Cap Badge : Royal Corps of Signals
Places Served : Harrogate, Cattertick, Herford & Catterick
Registration date : 2007-11-01

PostSubject: Re: A strange request from me.   A strange request from me. Icon_minitime29/9/2009, 04:39

Might be of some use.

There are photo's of lots of old German kaserne's

http://www.forgottenhistory.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: A strange request from me.   A strange request from me. Icon_minitime29/9/2009, 09:57

Many thanks for that link, I had "forgotten" about that site (still trying to get back into the swing after my absence).

I tried getting hold of the photo but Keith's daughter is away until next Sunday. The reason I asked about the attic windows is that there is a photograph showing part of a barrack block. To me it is German, but the attic window roofline is not the usual square or oblong - it is rounded and blends into the main roof, rather like an eyebrow.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: A strange request from me.   A strange request from me. Icon_minitime29/9/2009, 19:38

There were a few buildings of a certain era that employed the eyebrow style you mention, Paul...turn of the century, 1910 or there abouts.

It was less expensive to build square or oblong rather than fashion the arched eyebrow effect (less time too), but the latter was not uncommon...at least for civilian buildings and the odd government building. I suspect it was perceived as a bit too "stylish" for an army barracks, a tad frivolous.

I believe I know the type of blending you speak of. These windows often had a fairly long or deep roofing themselves which was rounded or curved, over and above the shape of the actual window and sash, and flowed back (or out of) the main roofline for about 4-6 feet, give or take. the square window style stuck out perhaps 3 feet from the main roof line.

Quite often, too, roofs with this eyebrow effect were Mansard-style roofs...a French influence but also quite Art Nouveau-ish as well. Again, not something your average military architect would likely have 'bought into' for his military contracts.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: A strange request from me.   A strange request from me. Icon_minitime29/9/2009, 22:59

Stephen Lock wrote:
There were a few buildings of a certain era that employed the eyebrow style you mention, Paul...turn of the century, 1910 or there abouts.

It was less expensive to build square or oblong rather than fashion the arched eyebrow effect (less time too), but the latter was not uncommon...at least for civilian buildings and the odd government building. I suspect it was perceived as a bit too "stylish" for an army barracks, a tad frivolous.

I believe I know the type of blending you speak of. These windows often had a fairly long or deep roofing themselves which was rounded or curved, over and above the shape of the actual window and sash, and flowed back (or out of) the main roofline for about 4-6 feet, give or take. the square window style stuck out perhaps 3 feet from the main roof line.

Quite often, too, roofs with this eyebrow effect were Mansard-style roofs...a French influence but also quite Art Nouveau-ish as well. Again, not something your average military architect would likely have 'bought into' for his military contracts.

Thanks for that Stephen.

When I can get hold of the photo, I will post it. Maybe someone will see something that I don't. It may make it clearer as to what I mean.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A strange request from me.   A strange request from me. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A strange request from me.
Page 1 of 1