BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 63 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 63 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages

Go down 
+20
geoffnova
remeradartech
rucjock21
JPW
steve
Shelldrake
Les Pattenden
senojdet
Brian Roberts
Teabag
Stephen Lock
alan8376
mjm34
ChrisP
Big_Mike
brum
BobG
dandc
jim
Mike_2817
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Empty
PostSubject: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime29/9/2010, 12:12

It is my intention that in the very near future, readers of the BAOR-Location Web Pages will be invited to join and post their submissions via this forum.

Submissions will be read by myself & other Moderators/Editors and will be opened and remarks left as to action taken.

i.e. I/we EDIT the post to say 'added to xxxx page 01/10/xx' etc

This is for a trial perade to see if

a) it boasts the forum membership

b) makes it easer for comments to be made

c) makes it easer & faster for these submissions/changes to be actioned.

e-mails to the webmaster via the site will be limited to observations (which may get copied here) or error reports

Last edited by Mike_2817 on 14/10/2010, 16:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime29/9/2010, 13:33

Mike,

I don't quite understand this?

Sorry, am I being thick.
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime29/9/2010, 15:55

no jim your not being thick,your being censored
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime29/9/2010, 16:41

WHY !! The present system appears to work perfectly, apart from posting photos. From my uderstanding of what you are proposing is vetting and censorship of our submissions, will this lead to only what is approved being posted? If it aint broke dont fix it.
Bob
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime29/9/2010, 16:54

Is this because the odd Anglo Saxon expletive has been slipped in occasionally ?

I get frustrated at not being able to post photos, etc but apart from that everything works well !

brum
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime29/9/2010, 17:57

NO NO NO NO Please read what it says...
It does NOT change how you use the forum at all....

It is for submisions for the Web Site NOT the Forum, as it gives people the chance to add pictures and others to read before/while they are being added to the Location Pages. Meaning you get to see the changes as they happen.

All it planned to do is re-direct NEW submitters here to post thier observations, additions & amendments to the Main BAOR-Locations Web Site.

Currantly they all come to me only via e-mail, and submiters do not visit the forum, it is a way to generate visiters to the forum NOT to be censered in any way. Where does it say that?

Site Editors will then pick up these posts and work them into posts on the http://baor-locations.co.uk/ at thier own pace without me having to share them out, and in some cases getting no reply.

Hope this makes it more clear to you.

I am also looking for new editors to help maintain the Main Site.

PICTURES IN POSTS

Check out the Picture Icons as they have been fixed.

New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Picture_save Takes you to 'Host a Picture' where you can upload from your PC and be given a URL to post

or

New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Picture Takes you to 'Post a Picture' from a Hosting Site such as PhotoBucket

Here is an example I have uploaded here and now to this post:
New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages 36_710

Your Log-in for picture hosting is your e-mail address which in in your user profile, and your forum password
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime29/9/2010, 23:28

Why not just KISS

The second S being Sir
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime29/9/2010, 23:40

Do not see what is hard about it!
Back to top Go down
Big_Mike
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Big_Mike

Number of posts : 43
Cap Badge : Royal Fusiliers, rejoined RE
Places Served : BAOR, UK, HK, Cyprus, NI
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime30/9/2010, 18:17

Well, I think it's a very good idea, Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.set-bit.de/start
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime1/10/2010, 15:21

Oh right, I understand now Mike.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime14/10/2010, 16:48

I have now start to copy messages from my BAOR Locations e-mail account onto forum.

Moderators/Editors can pick up and amend site, then post message to say Action Taken

and/or

Members can add extra comments or amendments etc.

By the end of this month, All new site (NOT Forum) comments will be directed here.
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime15/10/2010, 09:35

Mike,
I have been PM'd by a contributor who says he will not submit any further stuff if you are going to publish his email address and details in open forum. I think there is a problem with this idea from that point of view. With the old way we answered them privately and gave them the option of anonymity. Could you have a look at this. Cheers
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime15/10/2010, 13:27

ChrisP wrote:
Mike,
I have been PM'd by a contributor who says he will not submit any further stuff if you are going to publish his email address and details in open forum. I think there is a problem with this idea from that point of view. With the old way we answered them privately and gave them the option of anonymity. Could you have a look at this. Cheers

A very good point Chris. We don't want to miss out on any information because the contributor objects to being named. Mind you I am intrigued as to why anyone would not want credit for supplying info?

Mike
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime15/10/2010, 15:49

Point taken.

Future contrubtions will not have e-mail added as they will be posted direct by member onto site, and moderators only will view e-mail details.

In the short term, I will remove e-mails from posts, and can be reterved from me if needed
Back to top Go down
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime15/10/2010, 15:58

Quote :
A very good point Chris. We don't want to miss out on any information because the contributor objects to being named. Mind you I am intrigued as to why anyone would not want credit for supplying info?

Mike
[/quote]

I'm not sure either, but I would hate to miss some info on that basis though. I have a couple that want to remain anonymous.

Last edited by ChrisP on 15/10/2010, 15:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Insertion of quote marks)
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime15/10/2010, 16:02

On the whole, getting feedback on observations are working, I cannot see any reason why someone would require amenity anyway, but if you have direct contact, then post up info in your name.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime15/10/2010, 22:13

Then they can comunicate via you Chris. The currant meathod of e-mails via the main BAOR Locations Site is dependant on one person passing them on, and needs to be updated.
This method seems to be working, with added remarks to main messages.

If your contributer PM'd you, then he must be a member of the forum already?

Once the back log has been posted, messages will slow down to on avaradge 1 to 4 a week.
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime16/10/2010, 10:25

well mike it looks like you got got what was obviously your intention from joining the site in the first place,you have brownnosed your way into a moderators position to ruin a good forum,jim was more than correct when he asked if it was censorship it is in fact dictatorship,every post on the forum now comes through you,[wow look how many times i have posted]and the posts in fact should appear on the hitory section of this site,GIVE US BACK OUR FORUM.

Censorship would be removing posts I disagreed with [mike]
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime16/10/2010, 12:09

Dandc!

I am not sure you understand or have I have got it wrong!

There is NO interference with the normal Forum as I see it.. These mails that are being posted for us to read, are actually, as far as I see, are emails sent to the site and not meant as direct Forum items.

Eg.. Someone wants to comment or add something to the BAOR Locations site wouldn't necessary post the comment on a Forum.

I suspect lots of people visit the site every day with no intention of joining, but do sometimes have info to pass on without wanting to join..

Alan
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime16/10/2010, 17:21

dandc, You have a very narrow minded view of what is going on. I have a small backlog of e-mails to post up, followed by a change on the BAOR-Locations site which will see contributers posting DIRECT. NO Post is being censored, they are posted as is. I offered to Phil in the absence of any other volunteer to look after the site, and how this is 'dictatorship' is beyond me. You are but one member, and are perfectly entitled to your view, however misguided and ill informed it is. The only person who mentioned 'Censorship' is you, Jim only wrote he did not understand. I have started 14 Threads from e-mails to the forum, anyone can post a thread or post without it coming via me, it just looks that way at the moment as it is these posts members are freely replying to.

Your forum is still very much active, and perhaps if you read all the posts, and only remark on those that interest you, you may in fact see that.

Oh, and by the way I like the other Site Editors (that is those members to take time to create and edit the pages on the BAOR Web Site) am a Adminstrater of this Forum, and keep it going, and try to attract new members to make it more interesting to all members, and not everyones tastes are the same. Post numbers and ranking mean nothing to me, as I could in fact promote myself to Field Marshal if I so wish...

Edited to add,

This is intended as a trail to see how we can handle new submisions in the future, and a number of problems have been highlighted, so it is being re-examined over this weekend anyway, before I return to work on Monday.

I will continue to feed in e-mails from the Main Site, but at only 2 a day, so as not to flood the 'New posts' list

Last edited by Mike_2817 on 16/10/2010, 20:10; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime16/10/2010, 18:00

Mike,

I was one of those who misunderstood you original intentions, I now understand what you are doing. This now puts emphasis on Phils original intent for the site to record the history of BAOR/BFG through facts and anicdotes, this aspect can now be done easily and be visible to all members. The forum has expanded and covers many different unrelated subjects which are both interesting and entertaining and so it should continue. Keep up the good work, we are dependent upon folks like youself to give your time administering the site, without volunteers the site would eventually collapse.

Soldier on mate.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime16/10/2010, 19:22

So.....

With the new format, will new topics to the forum still appear rolling up in the "latest topics" window? I found this convenient to track new contributions/discussions rather than scrolling down through "general" or "locations" or what-have-you, as I did when I first signed on.

I always found the site easy to navigate and "move around in" and find the more general reminises (horrible spelling, sorry) of various individuals' time in Germany to be my area of interest and the reason I signed up to begin with. I also appreciate the site is a site for recording and maintaining the history of BAOR before it is lost forever....official history is one thing; "real" history -- the memories and discussions we've all had -- are the ones that are easily lost as we all age out and leave this mortal coil....some of sooner than others, sad to say! None of us are young'uns anymore and if we don't relay our memories and anecdotes, they will be lost. It is these which flesh out the official history.

I also want to take this opportunity to relay my personal thanks and appreciation to the site founders, admins, et al for their excellent and continuing hard work on behalf of this site. I realize its all volunteer and for that you have my warmest thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime16/10/2010, 19:56

Nothing has changed Stephen, The latest Threads/Posts still appear on the left in the order they are posted upto I think 10 posts, on a busy day some do indeed fall of the end of the list.

As I wrote above, I will slow down the posts of e-mails from the Main Site to 2 a day, and by the end of the month, posts may be direct from contributers who will be invited to join the forum, as many do not know it exsists.

If you look at the list of Sub-Forums (click on 'Index' under Navigation) - Those with un-read messages (by you) are marked with an Orange Tag New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Folder_new_big Those messages with a Sub-Forum with a New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Folder_new_hot which dances if it is a hot (popular) post.

You do not need to rely on the scrolling list
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime17/10/2010, 00:07

Is it possible to stop any bickering and misunderstandings please. This is one of the best ex forces sites I have been on. No the BEST and it would be a shame to go the way of so many and end up with people falling out and the whole thing going down the pan.

Let's kiss and make up please!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime17/10/2010, 08:41

Seconded Sir.

(I ain't kissing no Scalyback though !).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages   New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Sub-Forum linked to the main BAOR-Location Web Pages
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next