BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 99 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 99 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Serving through the German Winter

Go down 
+26
Nutstrangler
"john boy"
Norman
BobG
steve
Dolmetscher
Shelldrake
Mikey
Themaadone
Scribe64
locating
Stephen Lock
jim
handler 69
brum
brrowe
JPW
oldtimer
recce83
Teabag
Mike_2817
wrinkles
Hardrations
steve jones
Rocky
alan8376
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/11/2010, 13:11

Lovely evocative memories there guys. Thank You. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/12/2010, 16:17

The current wintery conditions here are fast approaching German winter conditions..I have never seen anything like this before
Back to top Go down
Scribe64
LCpl
LCpl
Scribe64

Number of posts : 7
Cap Badge : RAOC Staff Clerk
Places Served : Deepcut, Leconsfield, Munster, HQ AFCENT(Holland)
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/12/2010, 23:36

Hi Jim, reading these threads has evoked some wonderful memories of German winters especially early 80's. Snow 3 or 4 feet deep outside the singlies block in Winterbourne Bks Munster.
I was going out with a young German girl whose dad worked for the Deutschbahnn, trains always seemed to run on time: snow or no snow. She took me to her local church for Christmas Eve midnight service, and yes the choir sang 'Silent Nacht', candles and gothic architecture-it was breathtaking.
I can recall a festival in February drinking homemade Rumstopft? Fruit licqour it blew my socks off!

Halcyon days!

Stephen
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 12:08

Bloody hell, another shiny arse....

German Winters are nostalgic cos they're in the past - long forgotten the frozen toes, blue fingers and ice cube piss!

Look outta yer window - The Germans have exported their Winters.

I am trying to pop over to Germany to Cologne for the Weihnachtsmarkt (I believe it will be warm & sunny there!!!) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mikey
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : BAOR, Cyprus, Aden
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 12:29

Winter in Witten-Annen 57/58 never been so cold in my life, guard duty on the wind exposed vehicle park so no snow just bitterly cold like to cut you in half, then going on a winter scheme and lying in a ditch in the snow waiting for the Paras' to attack, sleeping or trying to sleep in the back of a three tonner wrapped up in a spare camo net to keep warm, those cobble/block paved roads which were bad enough when wet but when icey WOW!
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 13:02

Cobblestones - I had forgotten about them - I remember being a passenger in a 4 tonner when a lad I was with handbrake turned it.... NOT GOOD!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 13:50

ah yes, I loved the clatter of the tracks on the cobbles,

Oh yes Steve, rumtopf, now there was a drink. Very warming. Smile
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 16:57

Mikey wrote:
Winter in Witten-Annen 57/58 never been so cold in my life, guard duty on the wind exposed vehicle park so no snow just bitterly cold like to cut you in half, then going on a winter scheme and lying in a ditch in the snow waiting for the Paras' to attack, sleeping or trying to sleep in the back of a three tonner wrapped up in a spare camo net to keep warm, those cobble/block paved roads which were bad enough when wet but when icey WOW!

My early memories of the dreaded cobbles.

In severe frost they used to lift into waves.

Watching a Centurion sliding helplessly through a village, yet hitting nothing.

Tank tracks picking the cobblestones up and throwing them out of the rear.
(Where's my bloody tin helmet !)
Back to top Go down
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

Number of posts : 119
Places Served : UK/BAOR
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 19:18

Talking about cobblestones reminds me of the following, which I have extracted from my reminiscences on my Family Tree material. "Had a close call though, one day during a “Scheme”. We were travelling in convoy out in the German countryside, in pouring rain. Being the Platoon Mechanic I was travelling in the last truck (in case of breakdowns), when we realised that we were falling too far behind the rest, so my driver ("Scouse" Constantine,I was travelling as co-driver) decided to speed up. We were in a Bedford QL, five tonner, which had a high centre of gravity; the road was elevated and cobble stoned, lined with trees with ploughed fields on either side, about fifteen feet below road level. We must have been doing about fifty, (a phenomenal speed for one of those vehicles) when we saw a VW Beetle overtaking another one and coming towards us. “Scouse” swung the wheel hard over to the left (Remember we were driving on the right) to try to avoid him, lost control, and off the road we went, colliding with three cars in the process. I grabbed the grab handle that was in front of me, on the dash and remember crying out “This is it” (rather dramatic in retrospect.) We literally flew through the air and ended up twenty yards or so across a ploughed field with the truck’s nose buried in the mud, a complete “write off” with a twisted chassis.
I will never forget the silence that seemed to descend then as I sat there in a daze, not really believing that I was still alive. I looked at my driver and was horrified to see blood pouring down his face. He had hit his head on the windscreen wiper motor (no seatbelts in those days), I was completely unharmed, not even a scratch, We struggled back to the road and found that a Don R had returned to the rear of the convoy to see what had happened to us. We were bundled into the back of another five tonner and taken to what I thought would be a BMH, (British Military Hospital). Whilst I was lying in the back of the truck, delayed action shock started to take effect, and everything seemed unreal, so imagine my consternation when, on observing that we had driven between two concrete gateposts, I heard guttural voices and the head and shoulders of two German Wehrmach soldiers in coal scuttle helmets, and with rifles slung over their shoulders appeared above the tailboard. It was surreal, I felt, somehow, that I had gone back a few years, and the war was still on. They helped us to the medical room where I promptly flaked out. We had, in fact, been directed to a German Army Hospital, as it was nearer.
Back to top Go down
Scribe64
LCpl
LCpl
Scribe64

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 23:24

Greetings the Maadone from a not so mild Cornwall.
The little finger on my right hand has turned white; I didnt manage to save the precious contents of a bottle of Grolsch when slipping on my arse outside 33 Ord unit bar winter 84. The glass severed an artery with blood spurting everywhere! The lads laughed and I ended up in BMH Munster being attended to by a gorgeous Wrac nurse, well I think she might have been female?!

A shiny arse who can spill!

Ah Jim: Also Asbach Uralt, or have I got that wrong?

Stephen J

rendeer
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 14:03

Arrow Ah I think you mean QARANC Nurses (Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps) - aka 'The Gray Mafia' not WRAC, Stephen.

I love you I should know as I am married to one. QA Nurses were mainly better looking and not bent!!

rendeer On a wintry note. This year is the closest we have come to a 'Dry Cold' and snow bound winter for many a year I think? santa Be gone by Christmas I think drunken

FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 15:19

Seconded !

The QA nurses were much sexier. I think the uniform added to their attractiveness.
Likewise the RAF nurses.

PHWOAAR !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 17:00

Come come gents..Take the rose tinted glasses off.They all had their fair share of UGLY.The QAs uniform was so thin it was almost transparent.Three weeks in Tidworth gave me ample time to make a study of them
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 17:11

I don't know about "rose tinted glasses" Gordon, sounds like X-ray specs to me !

Back to top Go down
Scribe64
LCpl
LCpl
Scribe64

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/12/2010, 23:34

Embarassed Thankyou Mike, I sit corrected sir, and give my humblest apologies to your other half! Smile

The more I learn the less I seem to remember Smile

Am under orders as to where to place the lights on the xmas tree: my son is now 5 and knows exactly how and where to hang them! I love you

Merry Christmas to one and all santa
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 09:07

I would have to agree with you Brum, there was something about the uniform - maybe it was the smell of Starch!! Must be a bit kinky. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed We now have male members of the QA's, not such a big turn on (for me anyway,but to each his own), the QA working dress nowadays reminds me of a blue BD affair, a bit more functional I suppose. I used to envy those guys in the RAMC stationed at BMHs. tongue tongue
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 12:32

QAs, I had all 4 wisdom teeth out in November 1993 at BMH Rinteln. The QA looking after me told me to 'eat those 4 pieces of toast and you can go home'.

Hell bent on escaping what made Colditz look like Butlins I did so and was promptly driven back to Bielefeld!

Boy did my mouth hurt AND I lost half a stone as the fang mangler managed to "FORGET" a root which subsequently required further treatment to remove but that was completed in Rheindahlen shortly after being posted there.
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 19:45

Themaadone wrote:

Boy did my mouth hurt AND I lost half a stone as the fang mangler managed to "FORGET" a root which subsequently required further treatment to remove but that was completed in Rheindahlen shortly after being posted there.
Rheindahlen. Wonderful times I had there. I was just down the road at Command Pay Office in M-Gladbach, but would often finish up having breakfast in one of the cookhouses on Rheindahlen camp after a heavy night out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 20:13

Getting back to the theme of this thread, harsh German winters, I recall being on guard at Imphal Barracks, 0snabrück, in the winter of 1962. We had the new Chieftan tank, under wraps and top secret, parked near the tank sheds on a transporter, with the temperature at minus 20.
I was wearing long johns, combat kit, fur-lined parka, sea-boot socks and ammunition boots, and I had to go out on stag. I had never experienced cold like it. I almost froze to death.
The army very generously issued me with a pick-axe handle with which to protect myself, so it wasn't all bad.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 20:28

Does anyone remember the jar of mixed antifreeze to -30 which was kept at the guardroom?

Supposedly the unit was supposed to be call out to start the fleet of vehicles if the mixture froze!
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 22:04

alan8376 wrote:
Does anyone remember the jar of mixed antifreeze to -30 which was kept at the guardroom?

Supposedly the unit was supposed to be call out to start the fleet of vehicles if the mixture froze!
When I was at Imphal, the mixture was kept in an empty shell case suspended outside the guardroom. It actually began to form ice, one night, and they had to run the tank engines.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 22:10

That's right, we had the mixture in one of those big rum jars, on a little shelf on the guardroom wall.

Each battery had a driver on call to start the gun tractors up when the A/F started to freeze.

I don't remember it ever getting that cold but it must've come close to it on some of those nights in Nienburg.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/12/2010, 09:07

I seem to remember that it was part of the Guard Commanders duties to check it every hour or so which then had to be recorded in the Occurence Book. At the risk of going "off topic" again do you remember looking through the Occurence Book at the entries since you last did Guard Commander? There was some crackers!! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

Number of posts : 119
Places Served : UK/BAOR
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/12/2010, 10:48

It's remarkable how topics seem to drift in various directions, but getting back to army dentistry, I had my very first filling by an army dentist in Osnabruck (possibly Roberts Barracks, because where I was, Belfast Barracks, I don't think the facilities were there) It was completely successful, relatively painless and lasted more than ten years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/12/2010, 14:48

Quote :
It's remarkable how topics seem to drift in various directions

Agreed...But what has army dentistry got to do with German winters??? Cool

Strangely i don`t remember ever seeing an army dentist.Saw an RAF one once who was an absolute genius at pain removal.
Sit,jab,pull,goodby.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Serving through the German Winter    Serving through the German Winter  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Serving through the German Winter
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next