BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
 Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 55 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 55 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Army Lingo

Go down 
+10
JPW
Stephen Lock
Teabag
ciphers
BobG
brum
gingerjim
Shelldrake
"john boy"
cartav
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage

Army Lingo - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime9/7/2011, 12:00

C`mon Brum,,,,I gave you the link yonks ago...Age and memory just dont go to gether Army Lingo - Page 5 Oldman lol!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime9/7/2011, 15:00

cartav wrote:
brum wrote:
I dimly remember being told that when Blanco first came into use it was considered to look like that which emerges from the wrong end of a cow. s".

Nay lad, must be a Midlands fairy tale or folk lore......... I've told, thee !
Gerron t' Google ( or in this case Wikipedia).........

Blanco, it says, implies something "white" (as I always thought, being a three star Smart Arse), it was first used in 1880 to smarten up that "Zulu" style Slade Wallace buckskin belt & things. The greenish powder blocks were introduced when 1908 webbing equipment arrived. It'd be an odd cow that defecated white or coloured blocks wrapped in brown paper.

Maybe i heard it wrong.

Mind you, we were busy at the time, the Iceni were pushing us out of Camulodunum.

MIKE targets all day ! bounce

Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime9/7/2011, 19:10

friends romans countrymen lend me your ears, batteries gone on me earing aid,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime9/7/2011, 23:07

Lucky you.....
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime15/7/2011, 13:17

Just remembered one which crept in to some of our Sigs Info. Don't know if it was invented, or acquired. End of exercise was often codeworded "PUFFO".
( Pack up and eff off).

Strictly against recommended practice, of course.
Back to top Go down
Dee Z
WOI
WOI
Dee Z

Number of posts : 169
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Pembroke Dock, Lippstadt,Plymouth, Middle east, Singapore
Registration date : 2011-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime15/7/2011, 15:22

Remember this one "It's your own time you're wasting now"
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime15/7/2011, 17:23

I'm sure many of you will remember the catch phrase in use in the 70s, "It's good 'ere, innit ?". One that seemed to have developed in N Ireland and usually uttered when "it" wasn't.

A similar one was common in the 60s

Realising that the end of National service would result in a shortage of trained soldiers the army told NCOs to encourage men to sign on as 3 year regulars. (as if !!).

It was not unusual, when there was a bunch of squaddies enjoying themselves at some activity or other, to have a sergeant point out that "they" wouldn't be able to enjoy themselves like that when they were out of the army.

The catchphrase "You can't do this in Civvy Street !" came into common usage and would be shouted when men were doing some sort of onerous job that they hated.

Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime15/7/2011, 17:47

I remember when re-assembling the Bren we were informed when putting the barrel on to the main body that "The first four inches don't count. Another thing, Shocked does anyone know anybody who completed the Guard Report without reference to a previous Guard Report and was a hot cup of Tea/Coffee really given to the Guard in the early hours?
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime15/7/2011, 18:10

Shelldrake wrote:
"The first four inches don't count.

Sounds like bishop & actress thing............ Tea ? No way. Coffee ? What's that ?
And is it true the RAF got a day off after an all night guard duty ?

Back to Lingo........ What always irritated was the interjection of "Alright ?" 0r "OK?" into an order given by some half competent JNCO. It came out of a mouth with little thought, OK ?, it implied that a simple task needed detailed instruction, Alright ? and a subservient response was demanded . OK?

I usually tried to get away with a grunt, it didn't always work.

PS And BRUM ! Welcome back ! Alright ? Attempts to establish comms have been rejected for two days , OK?........
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Number of posts : 117
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime15/7/2011, 18:26

Shelldrake wrote:
was a hot cup of Tea/Coffee really given to the Guard in the early hours?
spent many a long night in the Guardroom, front of house that is, but don't remember ever getting treated to tea or coffee, maybe I was just unlucky with the regiments I was attached to. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime15/7/2011, 19:19

Quote :
does anyone know anybody who completed the Guard Report without reference to a previous Guard Report and was a hot cup of Tea/Coffee really given to the Guard in the early hours?

Always cribbed off previous guard reports..Couldn`t have filled it in otherwise.

At 7 Sigs always had tea /coffee and sarnies.At 19 Sigs had a full meal courtesy of the RAF

Guard commander and I/C reliefs were supposed to have the following morning off but were almost allways summoned by the RSM to explain something in the guard report or diary
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime15/7/2011, 19:49

we had tea whenever we wanted it, mind you it was put in the urn at teatime about 5-30 pm . it did not taste too wonderful about 3 in the morning, YUK, ginger
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/7/2011, 16:15

Deleted

Last edited by BobG on 24/7/2011, 09:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/7/2011, 17:49

gingerjim wrote:
we had tea whenever we wanted it, mind you it was put in the urn at teatime about 5-30 pm . it did not taste too wonderful about 3 in the morning, YUK, ginger

Same here.

It was the duty of the Stick Man to get the guard's supper from the cookhouse.
This was usually a dixie of tea and also dry tea, sugar, cans of evap milk, loaves of bread, compo marge and probably a huge chunk of "Cheese, Inedible, ORs, for the use of".

It was the unexpired portion of the guard's supper that stocked up the Brew Kit in our room.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime22/7/2011, 18:19

Quote :
It was the unexpired portion of the guard's supper that stocked up the Brew Kit in our room.

A bit of a tealeaf were we Brum Laughing
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime23/7/2011, 13:24

What's all this "we" stuff, white man ? pale
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/7/2011, 18:04

Having exhausted opinion & argument on other topics, it's time to kick another tit bit around & see what sort of response that invokes......... Ready ?...... Go !.

Why do the Brits pronounce "Lieutenant " as " Left-tenant" ? Intelligent or witty opinions only, please... That should limit one or two !
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/7/2011, 18:29

No reason other than to piss off the frogs I guess .... I have to go now as I am running behind skedule, sorry, schedule .. Canadian speak.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/7/2011, 18:49

cartav wrote:
Having exhausted opinion & argument on other topics, it's time to kick another tit bit around & see what sort of response that invokes......... Ready ?...... Go !.

Why do the Brits pronounce "Lieutenant " as " Left-tenant" ? Intelligent or witty opinions only, please... That should limit one or two !

Well, it's not just the Brits....Canadians do as well, as do Aussies, I believe.

But it's an interesting question...it is certainly written as "Lew-tenant" and, and I'm guessing the root of the word, the meaning, is tied in with the "lieu" part...as in "in lieu of". What is the role of a Lieutenant? To act on behalf of senior officers, in part, so -- not to encourage the American butchering of the language -- "lew tenant" does rather make more sense, although I continue and will continue to use Left-tenant.....

I'd be interested in the history of this, however.
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/7/2011, 19:32

loo tenant. the occupier of the carsie, ginger
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/7/2011, 20:10

I don't know why but saw something on the box recently or heard on the radio? We evidently say it wrongly and the yanks are correct. Well they have to get something right I suppose?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/7/2011, 21:37

Pronunciation of lieutenant is generally split between the forms (lef-ten-ənt) and (lew-ten-ənt), with the former generally associated with the United Kingdom, Ireland and Commonwealth countries, and the latter generally associated with the United States. The earlier history of the pronunciation is unclear; Middle English spellings suggest that the pronunciations existed even then. The rare Old French variant spelling luef for Modern French lieu ('place') supports the suggestion that a final [w] of the Old French word was in certain environments perceived as an [f]

Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/7/2011, 22:13

Well done Gordon ! We live & learn, but that's killed that one off pretty smartish ! Damn those Scottish beer mats with answers to quiz questions on the back !.............

And might have known the W..KING French would have had something to do with it.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime27/7/2011, 22:13

Teabag wrote:
I don't know why but saw something on the box recently or heard on the radio? We evidently say it wrongly and the yanks are correct. Well they have to get something right I suppose?

Really? Must have been an American program! Or is that 'programme'? Smile This from a population that says VE-hick-ell instead of vehicle, ruff instead of roof and zee instead of zed and who drop the 'u' from words such as neighbour, harbour, arbour, etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime28/7/2011, 08:46

Quote :
Damn those Scottish beer mats with answers to quiz questions on the back !.............

Damn your friend Mr. Google, Dave Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Army Lingo
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next