BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
 Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 61 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 61 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Army Lingo

Go down 
+10
JPW
Stephen Lock
Teabag
ciphers
BobG
brum
gingerjim
Shelldrake
"john boy"
cartav
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage

Army Lingo - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime28/7/2011, 08:51

Quote :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teabag wrote:
I don't know why but saw something on the box recently or heard on the radio? We evidently say it wrongly and the yanks are correct. Well they have to get something right I suppose?

Really? Must have been an American program! Or is that 'programme'? This from a population that says VE-hick-ell instead of vehicle, ruff instead of roof and zee instead of zed and who drop the 'u' from words such as neighbour, harbour, arbour, etc.

Stephen. I get the feeling you don`t have a lot of respect for your neighbors neighbours Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime28/7/2011, 12:28

"Coffee Swindle"

Not difficult to work out the meaning of this one, but where and when did it originate?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime28/7/2011, 13:30

Gordon. wrote:
"Coffee Swindle"

Not difficult to work out the meaning of this one, but where and when did it originate?

Well, it might not be difficult for YOU mate !

scratch
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime28/7/2011, 19:01

[quote="Gordon."]
Quote :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teabag wrote:
I don't know why but saw something on the box recently or heard on the radio? We evidently say it wrongly and the yanks are correct. Well they have to get something right I suppose?

Really? Must have been an American program! Or is that 'programme'? This from a population that says VE-hick-ell instead of vehicle, ruff instead of roof and zee instead of zed and who drop the 'u' from words such as neighbour, harbour, arbour, etc.

Quote :
Stephen. I get the feeling you don`t have a lot of respect for your neighbors neighbours Smile

On an individual level, most Americans are okay...open, friendly, easy going. Other than that? No. As a nation, they're insular, sometimes arrogant, frequently jaw-droppingly ignorant of other nations/cultures, "my way, right or wrong', jingo-istic, nationalistic (which is different than being patriotic), militaristic while condemning other militaristic regimes as militaristic, and totally believe they are G-d's gift to humanity. But I'd rather be living next to them than to, say, the Russians or a few others I can think of!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 02:43

I have done a few cruises with Americans, in fact my next cruise on the Ruby Princess, Greek Islands, Med and Transatlantic Oct/Nov will have about 2500 of them to contend with. A few good ones, but many are arrogant, loud mouthed, think USA is the Ruler of the World.'

They seem to know little of the world outside the US of A @ 'Land of Tipping/Land of the Free.'

Just my 2 Euros worth! Embarassed

PS..Hope they have BRATWURST on the ship! Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 09:37

Quote :
A few good ones, but many are arrogant, loud mouthed

A wee bit like the Australians Les..?? lol!
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 09:43

Gordon

With remarks like that we shall to form a blue beret International Peacekeeping Force exclusively designed for deployment on this site. Commander can be General Jim , with his continuing silence no chance of refusal but where are you?
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 09:48

Gordon....... Fiendishly clever & knowledgeable that Mr. Google..... Don't Know why I never thought of that. I've not found him to be so bright on Coffee Swindles yet. Got an idea this is a ploy from north of the border to shut us all up.

And Stephen...... If we are indulging in pedantry, I should give a gentle reminder that the correct terminology this side of the pond is "Different from......"

It's satisfying to be a Smartarse at times !

Beachley Boy....... G'Day Mate ! I heard that tipping isn't done in OZ (seriously....) & a Brit visitor was nearly sorted out by a cabbie who thought a couple of dollars above the fare was seen as an attempt to lure him into some unacceptable activity. Just a tale or true ?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 10:04

I`m very surprised at the lack of knowledge on Coffee Swindles....Maybe due to the fact that you are all warriors and didn`t have the luxuary of static postings.

A coffee swindle is where a group of persons .a shift,a workshop troop or anything similar donate a fixed amount of cash on a weekly,monthly or any other time scale.
This cash is used to buy coffee milk sugar biccys etc.by a nominated member of the group.
The nominated member is rotated on a regular basis,and some provide better value for cash than others..Hence Swindle...Brum had a similar thing going, but his was tealeafed from the guard. Laughing

JPW...I shall take up residence at the bottom of a slit trench with full body armour and me tin lid. affraid

Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 10:19

........... Oh !

Don't think we would ever have trusted anyone with our hard cash. Not when you only got four bob a day....... (swings the lamp).

Hey! There's one...... Lamp Swinging...... Was that still current after my time?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 10:27

Ask MR. Google
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 10:40

Gordon

Your precautions will be of no use when Les and the other Aussie correspondents deploy their Aborigine fighting patrols and let loose a couple of taipans, Crocodile Dundee style
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 11:06

I thought taipans were Chinese,Oooops forgot the hyphen.Nasty looking buggas are they not?Good eating though i would suspect,
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 12:26

Gordon

Taipans are the world's deadliest snake to be found in the coastal areas of Queensland and northern NSW. There is an equally vicious version to be found in the deserts of Queensland I believe
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 16:50

This one would make a nice pet methinks.

Army Lingo - Page 6 Taipan
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 18:11

More Jargon , or maybe prowords, or more likely codewords........... Takes me back to Bofors & LAA ...........

OP warning to get guns pointing in right direction was coded as a "Snakes Warning".

Like :- "Snakes Whisky, Whisky, Whisky. Low...... Red......Plus.
(ie. Aircraft approaching in arc W, Low level, Hostile, more than one)

OPs were laid out in a circle 1000 yds beyond guns, each OP covered an arc which was allocated a code letter, ( W, X, Y, Z, etc.) and guns had marked pickets to give an OP's bearing from the gun position.

Can't remember exactly but if everything went to plan, a Snakes warning gave guns something like 8 seconds to point at an approacher. All aircraft, friendly or hostile, were reported. It was FUN ! 3 squaddies, all alone, far from authority, sitting in an OP with a brew on, sending dummy Snakes warnings when a truculent Sgt No.1 would be half way through his steak & kidney pud !

Bet that's not on Google Gordon !
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 20:20

cartav wrote:
Gordon....... Fiendishly clever & knowledgeable that Mr. Google..... Don't Know why I never thought of that. I've not found him to be so bright on Coffee Swindles yet. Got an idea this is a ploy from north of the border to shut us all up.

And Stephen...... If we are indulging in pedantry, I should give a gentle reminder that the correct terminology this side of the pond is "Different from......"

It's satisfying to be a Smartarse at times !

Beachley Boy....... G'Day Mate ! I heard that tipping isn't done in OZ (seriously....) & a Brit visitor was nearly sorted out by a cabbie who thought a couple of dollars above the fare was seen as an attempt to lure him into some unacceptable activity. Just a tale or true ?"

Different from....yes.....I knew that of course. My bad!!! Of course, if I had proofread before hitting the send button, I'd have caught it...maybe....oops!!

As for getting a couple of dollars above the fare an attempt to lure him into "some unacceptable activity"....for a couple of dollars???? Cripes! Twenty, at least! :-)...and no furry animals!
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime29/7/2011, 20:27

Aaaaaaaaghhhh....as if talking about deadly snakes didn't freak me out enough, Gordon has to go an post a PICTURE of one of the damn things! oh gawd, oh gawd.....where's my therapist's number....cold sweats, shaking, rapid heartbeat....aaaaaghhh.....

Seriously.....I HATE snakes....any variety...freak me right out! Venomous ones even more so!

Don't do this again!!! LOL Ever....everevereverever!!!

Anything mammalian, I'm fine with. Amphibian, okay, not keen on them, but okay. Reptilian? Forget it!! I'm not even crazy about tortoises, but can usually work through that. Snakes? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime30/7/2011, 05:43

Gordon. wrote:
This one would make a nice pet methinks.

Army Lingo - Page 6 Taipan

Plenty of those critters around my area, New South Wales South Coast, about 300 'clicks' south of Sydney. Not the Taipans, but Black Snakes and Brown Snakes which are deadly. Have had them in the back yard (only twice thank god) and on the golf course. affraid

All part of the fun of living in the 'Colonies.' Crying or Very sad

The Brits sent the Foxes and Rabbits here, so can I send some snakes over? cheers
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 10:09

1. Rabbits !

2. Happy Yorkshire Day....... &.....

3. Happy MINDEN DAY to all our readers !

For qualifying personnel, roses will be issued in Messes at 1100 hrs.

Any roses surplus to requirements will be handed back to BQMS G1098 Stores
and retained with the unexpired portions of the day's rations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 10:59

A notable date in the calander if you are a Yorkie

Minden day 1759.Afraid i missed that one Cartav. How did you fare? Also missed
The emancipation of slaves in the British Empire in 1834,Wilberforce was involved in this i think.
Yorkshire Day 1975...Remember this one. lol!
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 16:21

Nay, Gordon lad...... Ah wan't thier... Ah were nobbut a bairn!

But Minden Day was special for 32 Bty in Germany. One big kneesup to celebrate our dads helping the Prussians to kick French, Russian & Austrian asses....... Not much idea why we were sticking our noses in the Seven Years War, suppose I'll have to consult the wise Mr. Google again. And we'd got our hands full with Quebec coming up weeks later........ Anyway, 33.000 of our lot whupped 51,000 of theirs. To celebrate 32 Bty were given a rose to stick behind the cap badge and were shipped over to Minden to walk the battlefield. There' s an old cottage with a cannonball embedded in the gable end....... both sides claim to have fired it. It is traditional for the roses to be eaten as a healthy supplement to Army stodge.
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 16:24

cartav wrote:
Nay, Gordon lad...... Ah wan't thier... Ah were nobbut a bairn!

But Minden Day was special for 32 Bty in Germany. One big kneesup to celebrate our dads helping the Prussians to kick French, Russian & Austrian asses....... Not much idea why we were sticking our noses in the Seven Years War, suppose I'll have to consult the wise Mr. Google again. And we'd got our hands full with Quebec coming up weeks later........ Anyway, 33.000 of our lot whupped 51,000 of theirs. To celebrate 32 Bty were given a rose to stick behind the cap badge and were shipped over to Minden to walk the battlefield. There' s an old cottage with a cannonball embedded in the gable end....... both sides claim to have fired it. It is traditional for the roses to be eaten as a healthy supplement to Army stodge.

1975 ? Doesn't ring any bells!....... Did Mel Gibson skipper a Scots cricket team that put one over on our lot?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 16:58

Nah...It was o Yorkie political up rising

Quote :
It was celebrated in 1975, by the Yorkshire Ridings Society, initially in Beverley, as "protest movement against the Local Government re-organisation of 1974",
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 17:48

The two Hampshire Badges I wore with pride in my early days, the first without crown and then the Regiment was awarded the Royal title and the Kings Crown.
Note the Minden Rose.
Please send prepaid via Inter Flora and I will pin it to my lapel.

Len (Ciphers)

Army Lingo - Page 6 749a_1JPG_2
 Army Lingo - Page 6 HAMPSHIRENC_2
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Army Lingo    Army Lingo - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Army Lingo
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next