BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 61 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 61 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-02-02

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Empty
PostSubject: Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR   Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime22/5/2020, 02:34

Wondering if any ex vet has any experience or photos of Stalwarts used in British Army service other than BAOR or UK.
I know that two went to Thailand for Operation Mudlark trials, and one of those saw time in Belize.
So wonder if anyone has any photos or information please.
Thanks

Belize
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR 07er5611

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR 07er5610

Thailand
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR 210

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR 310
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR   Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime22/5/2020, 11:11

Mark,
I have a couple of photos from RADFAN, Aden.

I have other photos pulled from Aden FB site, so not mine to claim?

PM me with your email address. I will send photos over the W/E.

Note: I recently had an argument with a guy over the Stallis ability to drive over wet , soggy fields in BAOR. Your photo backs up my claims.

I worked on the Stally extensively in 2nd Line, BAOR. In hind site, I saw the main few drawbacks the Stally suffered from mechanically.

Alan
Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR   Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime22/5/2020, 17:22

Alan hi,
Thanks for the offer.

The bogged down Stalwart is in Thailand. It was a joint trial during the wet season by Britain and USA, and had the name of Operation Mudlark. I got one stuck in Germany on a tree stump one evening, whilst loaded with pack fuel. But I never got one bogged down. A mate had one sink on one side whilst in a clay soiled woods, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Stalwart Mk 1 is well documented in Aden, and it's really those unrecorded locations that we'd like to know about on the Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Alvis.HMLC.6.x.6.Stalwart/

Thanks
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.

PostSubject: Re: Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR   Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime22/5/2020, 18:31

Mark thanks,

A bit puzzled by the note 'Unrecorded'.
I was at habilayn. I took the photos. The Stallys were used at night in a formation to give extra protection to the Sioux helicopters on the airfield.

Additionally, my photos show the Air Ducting Deflectors Mod at the rear of the cab and over along the area at the Engine Oil Filler Cap. I supect to deflect air under the decking to assist the engine cooling fans.
I'd love to see the documented Photos of the MK 1's used at Up Country at Habilayn Airfield. I bet they are my photos?

I was at Habilayn with the Well Drilling Team.  Did you know they used, unoffically, the Stally, for Mine Checking run in the early morning sometimes?  Better than walking hundreds of yards by foot with a Mine Detector or driving the Saracen Armoured Car along the route.
As the Stally had axle 1 positioned slightly behind the drivers seated position. Thus if it went Bang? The Driver was already past the initiation of the Mine if the Stally had triggered one!

I agree with your comment about Stallys not bogging. What I should have said was that all 6 wheels would rotate when one attempted to climb up a slight incline over a wet field surface.

Good luck with the Stally FB site.

Alan
Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR   Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime23/5/2020, 00:16

Alan,
Do pop over to the group and take a look at the Aden album, although we've had a second album added today that I haven't had a chance to look at yet.  Aden album in Stalwart group

A bit puzzled by the note 'Unrecorded'. - as in lack of recording in countries other than Germany, UK and Aden

I'd say your observation on wheel spin on grass is probably driver error, as I never experienced it or saw it

Not a very good photo, but here's my mate Stu  sat on the cab of his half sunk stolly

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Scan0011
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

PostSubject: Re: Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR   Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime23/5/2020, 09:58

Mark,

Notice the Air ducts behind the cabs.  I suspect possibly a local Mod? Photo from Habilayn Camp airstrip.

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Iu7v4Tb

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR 0cVq8W4

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR NjbNwk7

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR OBLhu9p

I suspect this last photo is 'Press' driven?

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR BOI8ziw

Last edited by alan8376 on 23/5/2020, 11:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR   Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime23/5/2020, 10:26

I'm guessing the air ducts were to force more air through the hull when moving
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR   Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime23/5/2020, 12:50

I served in Belize from Oct 79 - Apr 80, can't recall any HMLC Stalwarts - our POL and Ammo vehs were Bedford MK. I did witness on in Germany catching fire while loaded with four palletts of 105mm Ammunition, don't think that I have seen a Hiab move so quickly! bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR   Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime19/6/2020, 01:08

Re Stalwarts in Belize
It's thought there was between 4 and 6 in service

Quote :
... posted into Belize in September 1977 to start up 404 Troop RCT. Sometime between then and March 1978 Stollys were bought in so in the rainy season, when the water in the rivers rose above the bridges, they could use the Stollys to cross the rivers, I don't know why, but for some reason, it didn't work, so they parked the Stollys up, and didn't use them again. ...

But Some were used as targets

Quote :
1993 when 21 EOD RE cleared the Range at the blue river lagoon

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Steve-10

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Steve-11

Back to top Go down
Mark Ellis
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR   Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime19/6/2020, 01:12

Re Stalwart in Thailand.

I've managed to find the one sold to Bangkok International Airport as a Rescue vehicle. Waiting for more photos.
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Thaila10

You can see the part of the water monitor mounted on the cab - behind the spotlight
Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Jesada10

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR   Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stalwarts that served in Belize, Thailand, or other non BAOR
Page 1 of 1